The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Interesting Orca Logo I Stumbled Upon...

Rate this topic

MikeyD

13 hours ago, rawkdrummer said:

What does an Orca have to do with "Canuck".

In the dictionary "Canuck"

doesn't mention a whale!

Canuck was the name of the worlds first and only Orca Pilot, once regulations came in that made it mandatory to have opposable thumbs to operate an aircraft. Canuck the Orca spent the rest of his days as a logger.

Btw,

An Orca is not a Whale. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

20 hours ago, IBatch said:

Maybe. But the Orca unfortunately looks like a corporate logo ... thank god Quin would have thrown those suits up into the rafters before allowing them to change the name to Orcas too.  Did Ceasers change Detroit into a Pizza?  Nope.   I get it - young folks can’t understand the old uni’s - Bieksa and Kesler begged to play in them though - why?  Because they were awesome.  

No, but the Redwings have a wheel in their logo and they're not the Detroit Wheelers.

The Capitals have an eagle in their insignia and they're not the Washington Eagles.

Plenty of teams use motifs from local animals/monuments/icons in their logo. Logos don't need to be literal translations of the team name.

Edited by EmilyM
  • Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

The never ending logo debate.  I'M IN!!  :P

There seems to be three different angles to disliking the logo: 

1. Its a corporate logo based on MaCaw's company name.

2. An "Orca" is not a "Canuck"

2. Bad design

I never understood the opposition to the first and second points. Orcas were around long before John MaCaw. And he's not only one to adopt the name of this revered local inhabitant. First page of googling "orca company":

Orca Exploration company

Orca Natural food waste company

Orca Security company

Orca Gold

Orca Lab Research

Its more of a case of the Canucks adopting the symbol TOO. And sure, it meshed with the company that MaCaw and Griffiths at the time began. But that alone shouldn't negate the validity of the icon that killer whales symbolize to native and non-native persons in the NW. The Red Wings have a car wheel on theirs in homage to the automobile industry. No one's complaining about that. At least the Orca is a local animal that represents the area, unlike the Pittsburgh Penguins. wtf is that about? They are off by a few thousand miles. The flip side of that is the Ducks. Every city in North America probably has ducks in ponds. Nothing proprietary about that species.

I also find the argument that the Orca does not literally mean a "Canuck" ridiculous. Sure Johnny Canuck was an inspiration for the name. But its the "Canucks", not the "Johnny Canucks",  a comic hero invented in Toronto.  In Canada at least, the Orca is exclusively from BC.

Now the design is where I have always had a problem with.  Awkward, trying to be too many things at once. I could detail all the design flaws and have in the past. But that said, it is probably the best logo we've had, which unfortunately is not saying much.  I'd love to see the V in blue and green and black, but that is more of a total jersey/logo concept. One day that design concept will catch up to it's time.

5 hours ago, kilgore said:

2. Bad design

I also find the argument that the Orca does not literally mean a "Canuck" ridiculous. Sure Johnny Canuck was an inspiration for the name. But its the "Canucks", not the "Johnny Canucks",  a comic hero invented in Toronto.  In Canada at least, the Orca is exclusively from BC.

Now the design is where I have always had a problem with.  Awkward, trying to be too many things at once. I could detail all the design flaws and have in the past. But that said, it is probably the best logo we've had, which unfortunately is not saying much.  I'd love to see the V in blue and green and black, but that is more of a total jersey/logo concept. One day that design concept will catch up to it's time.

For me it doesn't help that the logo itself was revealed to usher in the Messier era.  New captain, new jersey, new logo!  Then we finally end that abusive relationship after 3 years but keep wearing the ring...

As to a whale being the logo for the Vancouver Canucks...  It would have been fine if we had started out with it.  But we ditched two good logos to go to that one for no good reason really.  So...just like a Canadien or a Capital or a Nordique, there isn't really an obvious thing that the logo should be.  But if you have one that works (or two for that matter, or three if you count Johnny Canuck) no need for a fourth.

As to the logo being poorly designed.  No, I think it's a pretty good design.  It's not one of my absolute favorites in the league, but it's pretty well done.  Better than the Coyotes or the newer versions of the Penguins / Kings.

Back in the old days they had a way of saying what needed to be said succinctly with a logo - Bruins, Whalers, Flames, Sabres, Flyers, Red Wings, North Stars, Canadiens, Devils, Blues, etc.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

For me it doesn't help that the logo itself was revealed to usher in the Messier era.  New captain, new jersey, new logo!  Then we finally end that abusive relationship after 3 years but keep wearing the ring...

As to a whale being the logo for the Vancouver Canucks...  It would have been fine if we had started out with it.  But we ditched two good logos to go to that one for no good reason really.  So...just like a Canadien or a Capital or a Nordique, there isn't really an obvious thing that the logo should be.  But if you have one that works (or two for that matter, or three if you count Johnny Canuck) no need for a fourth.

As to the logo being poorly designed.  No, I think it's a pretty good design.  It's not one of my absolute favorites in the league, but it's pretty well done.  Better than the Coyotes or the newer versions of the Penguins / Kings.

Back in the old days they had a way of saying what needed to be said succinctly with a logo - Bruins, Whalers, Flames, Sabres, Flyers, Red Wings, North Stars, Canadiens, Devils, Blues, etc.

Well, I'm pretty sure they would have gone with the Orca logo even if we hadn't landed Messier.  I never thought of that, that some associate the Orca with Messier. That explains a few things.

See, I think the Canucks still haven't had a really good crest. Stick in rink is boring as sh.....On top of that, how is a hockey rink with a puck and stick at all exclusive to any one hockey team? The edge of the rink being a "C" is a bit of a stretch visually IMO.

Downwards skate. I  must say this one has a lot of nostalgic appeal to me. First big Canuck playoff run for me. And the version on black is looking better with age. But its still kind of odd. Amateur. I don't like the way they forced spelling Canucks in the blade.

The Orca design is trying to be all things crammed into one logo. The native whale art, the letter C, and the whole thing breaking out of .... some kind of weird cocoon of ...ice? Where does that happen?

Also, a big complaint seems to be that the Orca doesn't mean a "Canuck". But neither do any of our past designs.

But I see your avatar is McLean (or Brodeur) sporting the V.  Nice.  That's the best design concept of the bunch for me. A  blue and green with white accents on a black jersey would look awesome.

Edited by kilgore
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Well, I'm pretty sure they would have gone with the Orca logo even if we hadn't landed Messier.  I never thought of that, that some associate the Orca with Messier. That explains a few things.

See, I think the Canucks still haven't had a really good crest. Stick in rink is boring as sh.....On top of that, how is a hockey rink with a puck and stick at all exclusive to any one hockey team? The edge of the rink being a "C" is a bit of a stretch visually IMO.

Downwards skate. I  must say this one has a lot of nostalgic appeal to me. First big Canuck playoff run for me. And the version on black is looking better with age. But its still kind of odd. Amateur. I don't like the way they forced spelling Canucks in the blade.

The Orca design is trying to be all things crammed into one logo. The native whale art, the letter C, and the whole thing breaking out of .... some kind of weird cocoon of ...ice? Where does that happen?

But I see your avatar is McLean (or Brodeur) sporting the V.  Nice.  That's the best design concept of the bunch for me. A  blue and green with white accents on a black jersey would look awesome.

It's actually John Garrett, Brodeur's backup and replacement at the 1983 All-Star Game.  John always had great masks wherever he went, NHL or WHA.

The skate logo saw us through two runs to the final (82 and 94).  There was no reason to change it, except as in your case if one didn't like the look.

• Cheers 1

On 5/19/2020 at 9:00 PM, Kevin Biestra said:

It's actually John Garrett, Brodeur's backup and replacement at the 1983 All-Star Game.  John always had great masks wherever he went, NHL or WHA.

The skate logo saw us through two runs to the final (82 and 94).  There was no reason to change it, except as in your case if one didn't like the look.

Cheech!  Never would have guessed that from that little image.

I agree, no reason to change the skate unless they found The One. Which IMO they didn't do.

If they'd accepted Brent Lynch's first design, Johnny Canuck holding a stick horizontally over his shoulder in a way to give homage to the original logo, I think they would have had something. Instead they said try again, and he came up with the Orca. So the Giants nabbed the Johnny Canuck one.

giants.jpg

Edited by kilgore
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

On 5/19/2020 at 2:27 PM, kilgore said:

2. Bad design

I never understood the opposition to the first and second points. Orcas were around long before John MaCaw. And he's not only one to adopt the name of this revered local inhabitant. First page of googling "orca company":

Orca Exploration company

Orca Natural food waste company

Orca Security company

Orca Gold

Orca Lab Research

Its more of a case of the Canucks adopting the symbol TOO. And sure, it meshed with the company that MaCaw and Griffiths at the time began. But that alone shouldn't negate the validity of the icon that killer whales symbolize to native and non-native persons in the NW. The Red Wings have a car wheel on theirs in homage to the automobile industry. No one's complaining about that. At least the Orca is a local animal that represents the area, unlike the Pittsburgh Penguins. wtf is that about? They are off by a few thousand miles. The flip side of that is the Ducks. Every city in North America probably has ducks in ponds. Nothing proprietary about that species.

I pick all three for my hatred.

On 5/18/2020 at 10:10 PM, rawkdrummer said:

What does an Orca have to do with "Canuck".

In the dictionary "Canuck"

doesn't mention a whale!

It doesn't mention a stick in rink in the dictionary either. As a matter of fact Websters Dictionary doesn't mention a cartoon lumberjack in the definition either. Just "a person born, raised, or living in Canada : a Canadian". Perhaps we should just use Kurtenbach's face as our logo. He's a Canadian and was the original captain. Problem solved.

C for team name Canuck, Orca image for where the team plays. Calgary - C for where the team plays - flames image for team name. Both cover the same elements just in opposite ways. But you already know and choose to ignore it. There's nothing at all wrong with the Orca logo as it covers both the team name and where it plays. Both valid elements in a sports logo.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Baggins said:

It doesn't mention a stick in rink in the dictionary either. As a matter of fact Websters Dictionary doesn't mention a cartoon lumberjack in the definition either. Just "a person born, raised, or living in Canada : a Canadian". Perhaps we should just use Kurtenbach's face as our logo. He's a Canadian and was the original captain. Problem solved.

C for team name Canuck, Orca image for where the team plays. Calgary - C for where the team plays - flames image for team name. Both cover the same elements just in opposite ways. But you already know and choose to ignore it. There's nothing at all wrong with the Orca logo as it covers both the team name and where it plays. Both valid elements in a sports logo.

A burning C covers the Calgary Flames pretty well, a curved up killer whale does not represent the Canucks in any why whatsoever except the fact they were once owned by Orca Bay. On top of that they ushered in the Messier years, I’m sorry, we have the worst logo in the history of logos of all sports of all time. KILL THE ORCA!

As for the rink, um....hockey rink and hockey stick that form a C for Canucks that play....guess what.....hockey.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Like 1

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

A burning C covers the Calgary Flames pretty well, a curved up killer whale does not represent the Canucks in any why whatsoever except the fact they were once owned by Orca Bay. On top of that they ushered in the Messier years, I’m sorry, we have the worst logo in the history of logos of all sports of all time. KILL THE ORCA!

C for Canucks

C for Canucks 

C for Canucks 

C for Canucks 

C for Canucks.....

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Baggins said:

C for Canucks

C for Canucks 

C for Canucks 

C for Canucks 

C for Canucks.....

I can make a C out of a used condom, at least that would give us some hope as it represents someone finishing something they started.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

12 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I can make a C out of a used condom, at least that would give us some hope as it represents someone finishing something they started.

Completely irrelevant to the validity of a logo.