The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Streaming (SN NOW)

aGENT

Previously had Telus 150 internet (unlimited) and Optik TV with Sports package for about $80 + tax  bundled and therefor felt no need to nix my TV service. So far however, I only seem to be able to get the same internet for $70 and add TV for another $42 ($112 + tax) total at our new house. No bueno.

As such, I'm looking at finally cutting the 'cable' cord and going internet only and hence investigating streaming sources for watching hockey (primarily the Canucks). (Also considering OTA, especially for Saturday CBC games). I'll miss the WJC's that are on TSN short of paying to stream that but you can't have everything...and I'm usually pretty busy that time of year anyway.

Just wanted other folks input on the SportsNet Now streaming option or whatever else everyone is using  for streaming games. Want to confirm there's no blackout issues watching games in BC, how well the service works etc.

Also, anyone manage to get it to work on a Roku? Plan on getting an Nvidia shield at some point which will work fine with it (runs Android) but SN NOW doesn't appear to have native Roku support.

Thanks for your input!

https://www.snnow.ca/nhl

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

I've had SNnow+ for a few years and would recommend it. Regular SNnow will give you access to all regional Sportsnet broadcasts (SNP) including all Canucks games on different SN channels.

I went for SNnow+, it's like $3 more, but you get access to every Sportsnet channel; SNP, SNW, SNO etc.

I don't have roku but it works great via chromecast. There are some lame functionality issues (like it will only allow you to be logged in/watching on one device at a time), which means if you watch something on your other tv via chromecast, or laptop, it automatically logs you out on your Smart TV, turns out to not be a big deal because the Smart TV app is absolute trash anyways and I prefer to use my tablet to navigate the app and cast to my TV (or chromecast if I have to watch the game in the basement rec room).

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I've had SNnow+ for a few years and would recommend it. Regular SNnow will give you access to all regional Sportsnet broadcasts (SNP) including all Canucks games on different SN channels.

I went for SNnow+, it's like $3 more, but you get access to every Sportsnet channel; SNP, SNW, SNO etc.

I don't have roku but it works great via chromecast. There are some lame functionality issues (like it will only allow you to be logged in/watching on one device at a time), which means if you watch something on your other tv via chromecast, or laptop, it automatically logs you out on your Smart TV, turns out to not be a big deal because the Smart TV app is absolute trash anyways and I prefer to use my tablet to navigate the app and cast to my TV (or chromecast if I have to watch the game in the basement rec room).

Thanks LL :metal:

I think I'm ok with the base package as long as I can watch all the Canucks games. Not much time for anything else these days anyways :lol:

I'll have to sort out the Roku issue I guess. I think I could probably stream to my phone etc and mirror/cast/screen share it to my Roku. Going to miss fast forwarding commercials and intermissions though.

Still baffles me why these service providers would rather send me to their competitor (Rogers) then just offer me TV for cheap. You can have a little money, or none. Seems an obvious choice to me but...

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Thanks LL :metal:

I think I'm ok with the base package as long as I can watch all the Canucks games. Not much time for anything else these days anyways :lol:

I'll have to sort out the Roku issue I guess. I think I could probably stream to my phone etc and mirror/cast/screen share it to my Roku. Going to miss fast forwarding commercials and intermissions though.

Still baffles me why these service providers would rather send me to their competitor (Rogers) then just offer me TV for cheap. You can have a little money, or none. Seems an obvious choice to me but...

You can fast forward commercials if you're using the replay option and casting from your laptop. You can replay any program from the last 24hrs. When the Canucks are on the road I just watch the game at 7:00.

And yes, you'll be able to watch EVERY Canucks game with just the basic Now package.

Edited by luckylager

8 minutes ago, luckylager said:

You can fast forward commercials if you're using the replay option and casting from your laptop. You can replay any program from the last 24hrs. When the Canucks are on the road I just watch the game at 7:00.

And yes, you'll be able to watch EVERY Canucks game with just the basic Now package.

How long do you have to wait until the replay option comes in to play? Until the game's over? 

So any local games I'm SOL I guess :lol:

How's the picture and sound quality?

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

How long do you have to wait until the replay option comes in to play? Until the game's over? 

So any local games I'm SOL I guess :lol:

How's the picture and sound quality?

Good question, I forgot to mention that's one of the negatives. Replay only works from android devices once the game is over. However, you can use your laptop and start from the beginning of the game while it's still underway, you just can't cast it. The cast automatically goes back to real time unless the program is over.

Picture is HD for the most part. I have a 75mbs connection and the stream is HD even if the kids are streaming Netflix in the basement and the wife is doing whatever on her phone.

It's not 4k quality HD but still perfectly acceptable.

Edited by luckylager

5 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Good question, I forgot to mention that's one of the negatives. Replay only works from android devices once the game is over. However, you can use your laptop and start from the beginning of the game while it's still underway, you just can't cast it. The cast automatically goes back to real time unless the program is over.

Picture is HD for the most part. I have a 75mbs connection and the stream is HD even if the kids are streaming Netflix in the basement and the wife is doing whatever on her phone.

It's not 4k quality HD but still perfectly acceptable.

Hmmm... and can you pause and resume (bathroom, kids etc)?

I've used SNNow+ for a while (about 2 years), but I'd personally recommend the basic package instead of the "+" package. You don't get that much more for more money. You will get every Canuck game with the basic package and that's all I care about. I've never had any blackouts and the only problems you'll ever run into would be related to a sketchy internet connection. I watch all games these days on my PC monitors, but I know it's pretty easy to stream to a TV if you have various steaming methods or you could even simply wire up your TV to your computer and watch that way.

The only problem I've ever had was they were kind of anal about refunding me some money I was owed recently, but I did get the money back in the end, so take that for what you will.

All in all, the basic package is perfect for me and cheaper than cable. Given I don't watch any TV outside of hockey, it's worth it for me.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

I like the plus package, especially during playoffs, but it's still great reg season on nights the Canucks aren't playing or on afternoons when you'd rather watch the Jets/Coil/Lames than whatever $&!#ty leafs game is on.

I already had SNnow when they started the plus option and opted in for $3 more per month. To me it's worth it. 

• Cheers 1

I'm in the same boat as the other two posters. Been using it for a few years, found it to be alot better with lagging/glitching this last year or two than the first year I started.

I also love that you can go back via the TV schedule & watch things you missed. Its a great way to watch the game if your coming in a little late, start from the beginning & skip commercials till you catch up to live. That's the one annoying part about TSN's service it doesn't let you do that, only the replays they post below. And you can't skip commercials on the replays. Coming in late happens often for me on Saturdays, then I get the game + after hours without the commercials. 

Never knew SN+ was a thing tbh. I think if you mostly in it for the Canucks your good with just the basic. Might check that out though.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1

Here in Oz, the NHL center ice package is crazy cheap. $99US per year. Every game in every market, play off, pre -season. Live, or watch PVR style anytime you want. Pause and pkay, rewind anytime. The home and away broadcasts for each game... It is in HD and wigs a little when commercials kick in. Uhm, when u try to fast forward through them.

Not sure how much back home. By memory $350 Canadian...

It does not help with world juniors, college or any other stuff.  I use a VPN to pretend I am in Canada and pay for TSN month to month at Christmas and other times.

Edited by Canuck Surfer
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Here in Oz, the NHL center ice package is crazy cheap. $99US per year. Every game in every market, play off, pre -season. Live, or watch PVR style anytime you want. Pause and pkay, rewind anytime. The home and away broadcasts for each game... It is in HD and wigs a little when commercials kick in. Uhm, when u try to fast forward through them.

Not sure how much back home. By memory $350 Canadian...

It does not help with world juniors, college or any other stuff.  I use a VPN to pretend I am in Canada and pay for TSN month to month at Christmas and other times.

I think it's something around $220 CAD per year last time I paid up.

• Thanks 1

I am in the same boat, shaw is threatening to jack up my prices Aug 1st when my 2 year subscription ends. I'm thinking of this combo

$10 pik 5 tv (Telus) -- includes basic tv (cbc, abc, nbc, ctv, etc), and 5 channels of my choosing from a list (hgtv, food, etc)

$10 sportsnet now -- so I get the Canucks games

$?? Whatever internet package I can get from telus.

That requires a 2 year deal, but whatevs.

Oh ok I just found this, $80/month for pik tv plus the internet, then $10 for sportsnet. https://www.telus.com/en/internet/bundles/internet-and-pik

So, $90 for 2 years. Thoughts?? Currently shaw wants to jack my price to $160/month! I do currently have HBO though...

35 minutes ago, inane said:

I am in the same boat, shaw is threatening to jack up my prices Aug 1st when my 2 year subscription ends. I'm thinking of this combo

$10 pik 5 tv (Telus) -- includes basic tv (cbc, abc, nbc, ctv, etc), and 5 channels of my choosing from a list (hgtv, food, etc)

$10 sportsnet now -- so I get the Canucks games

$?? Whatever internet package I can get from telus.

That requires a 2 year deal, but whatevs.

Oh ok I just found this, $80/month for pik tv plus the internet, then $10 for sportsnet. https://www.telus.com/en/internet/bundles/internet-and-pik

So, $90 for 2 years. Thoughts?? Currently shaw wants to jack my price to $160/month! I do currently have HBO though...

The $9.99 pack only gives you 7 days FWIW, not a month. The cheapest monthly package is $19.99

I can't wrap my head around why I'd even want pik TV :lol: I'm leaning towards free OTA for the basic channels (in higher quality no less). But we really don't watch much traditional TV. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, aGENT said:

The $9.99 pack only gives you 7 days FWIW, not a month. The cheapest monthly package is $19.99

I can't wrap my head around why I'd even want pik TV :lol: I'm leaning towards free OTA for the basic channels (in higher quality no less). But we really don't watch much traditional TV. 

oh wtf, how did I not see that.... i hate these bundle package bs pricing bs. <_<

8 minutes ago, inane said:

I essentially want sports (please come back) and even that really just hockey. I wouldn't mind basic tv just for cbc but ya, bunny ears works.

plus other streaming things but that's easy. 

Yeah same, like I said, can't see how/why pik TV would be useful/worthwhile.

I can get better quality and free OTA for CBC, CTV, Global, KVOS, PBS etc. If I want I can even use my existing PLEX server to add PVR capabilities that pik lacks. (HIGHLY recommend Plex if you have a good media collection of your own FWIW).

IMO, save the $10 from that and apply it to the SN package :lol:

Between that, Sportsnet Now during the hockey season, Netflix and an occasional eye patch... Just don't see us lacking options.