The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Lesnar didn't look that impressive. I think he's going to get tooled by Noguiera when he inevitably beats Mir.

BJ Penn is a b!tch, KenFlo deserves his friggen title shot already. I really hope he sh!tkicks BJ when he gets the chance...whenever that may be :(.

Edited by FinFan

Some of the Lesnar comments in this thread are hilarious.

Couture is 45 and past his prime. Brock also had more then 40 pounds on Couture. I'm not surprised, nor am I impressed that Brock won. The UFC is really trying to hype him up for marketing purposes. Some of you are buying right into what Dana White is selling.

Also did anyone get tickets to the GSP/Penn event in late January? The only tix I could find on ticketmaster were the 750$ ones and those are out of my price range.

Couture is 45 and past his prime. Brock also had more then 40 pounds on Couture. I'm not surprised, nor am I impressed that Brock won. The UFC is really trying to hype him up for marketing purposes. Some of you are buying right into what Dana White is selling.

Also did anyone get tickets to the GSP/Penn event in late January? The only tix I could find on ticketmaster were the 750$ ones and those are out of my price range.

hes wayyyyyy to cocky!!! and hes a dumbass "i like to thank god for giving me my athletic ability and my mind... GOD BLESS YOU" who blesses God!! fracken retard

I can see the Kimbo similarities with Brock, only difference is he has fought some REAL OPPOSITION. Overhyped, somewqhat, but somewhat legit.

Florian fought great. I like the fact that he finally called out BJ Penn. Because im pretty sure hes annoyed that he should have had a title shot a few fights ago already but they made him fight stevenson, and now they probably want one more fight from him since bj wants to waste another 6-8 months for the lightweight division. Im not sure if Kenflo will just wait it out.

Couture vs Lesnar was ok. I actually wasnt that impressed with Lesnar this fight. I mean the dude hits like crazy but it was shocking to see him getting pushed around by Randy in the fence. I was thinking that he would just bowl his way out of there or pick randy up and slam him back. And Randy was able to get out of the mount position quite well.

Gonzanga vs Lesnar seems like it would be an interesting fight. Two big guys throwing bombs at one another. Tim Sylvia would be a good fight too since he has the reach/power to punch brock at a distance.

I think Noguiera is going to take a beating from Lesnar if they fight and then go on to submit him like he usually does in all the fights. Mir vs Lesnar II is rediculous haha. After 2 fights he gets a rematch after not proving much. But then i guess they want more of the WWE viewers to watch UFC to make it more popular. Same reason BJ gets a welterweight title shot without actually fighting his way up just like his first title shot against Hughes where he didnt fight his way up. Its pretty much why BJ is considered great. Because he only fight title shots really. If he loses its to the champ, if he wins then they hype as the greatest ever.

Chances are that if he had to fight his way up he would lose to a bunch of guys at Welterweight (fitch, alves, kos maybe diego) and then they wont be able to hype him up and they would lose pay per view draws.

Heres video of BJ and GSP behind the scenes on Saturday in Dana Whites blog.

If you dont know by any chance Dana White keeps a video blog of what happens behind the scenes at the UFC.

You can check out the rest of his video blogs here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/UFC

Edited by Pfizer

One aspect I dislike about the UFC is all this weight class hopping by champions. Sure a Silva-Pierre fight would be awesome, but common, it's nothing more than an admission from UFC saying, we got no one who can take titles from these guys.

Lame if you ask me, go out and find someone who can instead of this "interweight" fighting. That or make the champion forfeit the belt if he's going to take on a higher up champion with a match to determine the weight champion.

I say give Michael Bisping his due, he looks like he could take on Silva, rather see GSP stay as WW champion and see Bisping the MW champion.

If they can get Florian-Pierre-Bisping-Griffin-Lesnar as their champions at once, the sport will grow immensely.

UFC did the right thing by giving Lesnar a shot, that will allow the sport to grow substantially by bringing in new fans. They gotta make it easier though to keep track of champions and who are the number one contenders.

All this being said, looking forward to the Griffin-Evans fight, can't stand Evans and hope Griffin kicks the snot out of him.

I think the crappy thing about the middleweight division is that they are all just The Ultimate Fighter cast members.

Cote

Leben

Lutter

Bisping.

Anderson Silva is basically fighting all the TUF cast members as contenders.

That division is lacking real big name talent. Just tv show people that arent pros yet and the UFC hypes up.

Since then Lutter has gotten kicked out of the UFC for sucking, Leben is suspended for taking steroids in his fight against Bisping, Cote shouldnt have gotten a title shot in the first place but the talent pool was weak, and now Bisping as a contender is lacking because he lost to matt hammill but the judges for some reason gave him the fight.

I was kind of excited in seeing paulo filho come into the UFC. But that dude has some major issues. Did anyone see his last fight in WEC? man was it brutal. I dont know if he threw a punch the whole fight. He went 3 rounds of ducking punches. He was battling depression before and it seems he still hasnt beaten it yet because he seemed uninterested in the fight.

Theres talks that Chael Sonnen will get the next title shot against Anderson Silva. Some dude from WEC who lost to babalu, jereremy horn and couldnt finish a depressed Filho.

heres that fight if someone wants to watch

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Paulo_Filh...067&tid=100

hopefully he wont get a title shot right away because hes an iffy fighter from the little ive seen of him. Maybe someone here has better insight.

I want Denis Kang to be the middleweight champion. That would rock.

I think the crappy thing about the middleweight division is that they are all just The Ultimate Fighter cast members.

Cote

Leben

Lutter

Bisping.

Anderson Silva is basically fighting all the TUF cast members as contenders.

That division is lacking real big name talent. Just tv show people that arent pros yet and the UFC hypes up.

Since then Lutter has gotten kicked out of the UFC for sucking, Leben is suspended for taking steroids in his fight against Bisping, Cote shouldnt have gotten a title shot in the first place but the talent pool was weak, and now Bisping as a contender is lacking because he lost to matt hammill but the judges for some reason gave him the fight.

I was kind of excited in seeing paulo filho come into the UFC. But that dude has some major issues. Did anyone see his last fight in WEC? man was it brutal. I dont know if he threw a punch the whole fight. He went 3 rounds of ducking punches. He was battling depression before and it seems he still hasnt beaten it yet because he seemed uninterested in the fight.

Theres talks that Chael Sonnen will get the next title shot against Anderson Silva. Some dude from WEC who lost to babalu, jereremy horn and couldnt finish a depressed Filho.

heres that fight if someone wants to watch

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Paulo_Filh...067&tid=100

hopefully he wont get a title shot right away because hes an iffy fighter from the little ive seen of him. Maybe someone here has better insight.

I want Denis Kang to be the middleweight champion. That would rock.

The whole TUF argument is lame imo, in the LHW you got a TUF Champion and a TUF number one contender, which is supposed to be UFC's premier weight division. Sure Hamill probably should have won the match against Bisping, but at the same time, it wasn't as though Hamill dominated that match. Weren't they fighting at LHW in that match too? Isn't Bisping's MW record perfect?

The whole TUF argument is lame imo, in the LHW you got a TUF Champion and a TUF number one contender, which is supposed to be UFC's premier weight division. Sure Hamill probably should have won the match against Bisping, but at the same time, it wasn't as though Hamill dominated that match. Weren't they fighting at LHW in that match too? Isn't Bisping's MW record perfect?

there are more failures than champions with TUF. Forrest Griffin is the only champion TUF has ever produced. Matt Serra was already a UFC fighter before the show. Plus without that straight title shot Matt Serra would not have worked his way up to GSP. Look what happened when he lost, he basically fell of the map.

The reason why The Ultimate Fighters are frowned upon is because the UFC doesnt want to sign the best fighters out there always. They sign a few big names and then they fill the rest with tuffers to save them money. When they say they will win a 6 figure contract, the reality is that its not a one fight deal. They have many fights on their contract. MMAPAYOUT.com did a story on that. So basically if you lose one or two fights out of that 5-6+ fight deal they kick you out of the UFC and you dont get paid the six figures. And if you divide that amount, it basically only adds up to something like 15 grand a fight or something.

There are some fighters there with good pedigrees like Rashad Evans who was an all state wrestler and trained under Dan Severn the old UFC fighter. Kos who was an all american wrestler or something, but generally the guys are picked because they are cheap.

They could easily sign better talent from other organizations but they will want too much money. But this way UFC sign them cheap to a long term contract, makes money off the tv show then hypes this person up and when they lose they kick them out of the UFC and hype someone from the new season.

These arent guys that fought their way into the UFC. Thats why you dont see guys like Sergei Kharitonov, Alex Emalieneko, Fedor, Ninja Rua, Frank Shamrock, Matt Lindland, Cung Le, Frank Trigg, Jason Mayhem Miller etc. Because they want too much money and UFC wants someone cheaper to fill out a division. Lower quality but increase quantity. Werdum was suppose to get a title shot but he lost last fight and was kicked out of the UFC heavyweight division.

Forrest Griffin is legit though. I mean he beat Shogun and won a close one to Rampage.

But generally TUF fighters are brought in because they are cheap substitutes they can make more money off of.

Bisping is 3-0 at middleweight but he beat McCarthy (not in UFC no more after loss) Jason Day (average fighter) and Leben (average fighter who is suspended now for steroid use) And i disagree, I think Bisping got his donkey beat by Hammill. It didnt even look close. Horrible judgement. Thats why the UK crowd was booing bisping that UFC. They thought the judging was bad) Who did he fight at LHW? Josh Haynes? Erich Schaefer, Elvis Sinosic?? who are these people. Bisping is sheduled in a way where he can avoid the big names so that the UFC market him in the UK by keeping him winning. If he loses they lose their main UK draw. Thats why 4 of his 6 UFC fight have been in the UK.

In general the ultimate fighter winners are made to fight other cans to hype them up.

...damn i write a lot.. :huh: I guess i just type fast....

Edited by Pfizer

So just got back tonight from Vegas....

WOW!! If you've never been to a live UFC ppv, I suggest you splurge and go. It is sooooooo worth it. My seats were up a bit higher and yet I saw everything. There's tonnes of big screens around the arena too. Best crowd I've ever experienced!!

As far as Randy/Brock goes, I kinda saw it coming. I just didn't think Randy would get caught like that. It was disappointing to witness that live. But other than that, it was a helluva show!!

Met/saw a lot of the guys too: BJ, Huerta, GSP, Loiseau, Mir, Bonnar, Franca, Mike Goldberg and Joe Rogan, Crappy thing was my camera battery died near the end of the show, so I couldn't get any good pictures. I actually met Junie from TUF too.... super nice guy!

But last night around 2:30am at Treasure Island, my buddy and I ran into Nate Quarry. The ONLY pic I ended up getting with one of the fighters (I'm in the Nucks shirt):

PB090855.jpg

So just got back tonight from Vegas....

WOW!! If you've never been to a live UFC ppv, I suggest you splurge and go. It is sooooooo worth it. My seats were up a bit higher and yet I saw everything. There's tonnes of big screens around the arena too. Best crowd I've ever experienced!!

As far as Randy/Brock goes, I kinda saw it coming. I just didn't think Randy would get caught like that. It was disappointing to witness that live. But other than that, it was a helluva show!!

Met/saw a lot of the guys too: BJ, Huerta, GSP, Loiseau, Mir, Bonnar, Franca, Mike Goldberg and Joe Rogan, Crappy thing was my camera battery died near the end of the show, so I couldn't get any good pictures. I actually met Junie from TUF too.... super nice guy!

But last night around 2:30am at Treasure Island, my buddy and I ran into Nate Quarry. The ONLY pic I ended up getting with one of the fighters (I'm in the Nucks shirt):

PB090855.jpg

Good on you for repping the Canucks B) ... and you look smashed