The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Here let's say this simply. Best fighter on the planet bar none. Fedor has 10 years of fights under his belt and never actually lost a fight. Only had one stoppage due to a cut which happened to be a no contest and was called a loss because they needed a fighter for the next round of the tournament.

That is not over rated.

Over rating someone is when you don't have the numbers behind you and they call you great. Like how some people see Brock right now. That is the definition of overrated. Given some time. Maybe 5 or 6 or 7 defenses of his title. Then we can start calling him a great fighter. Till then Brock just happens to be the winner of the UFC title. It doesn't mean all that much till he actually holds it for any length of time.

Here is the problem and the problem lies in Dana Whites hands not Fedors. Dana White has the hugest problem in the world. He can not get his heavy weight title holder the credibility he wants or needs for people to think of him as the greatest in the world. That problem lies with having the actual Greatest fighter outside of his ranks and he can not get him under his collar. Until Brock actually beats fedor there will always be that stigma that Brock never fought the greatest and as such will always have an asterisk. The same will not be said about Fedor. Fedors legacy is already cemented.

My problem with it is not how many fights he has had but who he has fought. Out of all his fights there are few dangerous guys, I will give it to him he fought Nogueira a couple times, Cro-Cop, Arona, Herring, and an old useless Coleman. Now against those guys who are considered the upper level of heavyweight fighters I will give him credit, that he beat all of them is impressive.

But what isn't impressive and I was trying to allude to in my earlier post is that while he has those fights the majority of his fights are against either guys fighting from a lower weight class: Babalu, Lindland or guys who are nowhere near being in the top 50 HW's: Choi, Hunt, Schall...

So when you look at his record and how fast he wins most of the fights to me it is padded record for the most part being that he is fighting sub-par opponents, it would be like having an NHL team play against a junior B team.

When put up against top opponents like Nog (Decision twice accidental cut once) Cro-Cop (Decision) Herring (Cut) he has not dominated and finished like he has steamrolled through the other lower card fighters.

I can't say that Fedor is the best fighter in the world because of his padded record, I do not consider Brock the best either though, he is way to new to the game and needs to fight top fighters and sustain the pace, but at least so far he has been doing that, fighting top fighters and until Fedor is in the UFC and fights all the top guys to me his legacy will be lessened.

Any word on the press conference?

Not as of right now, but Dana White announced on Twitter that we will be able to view it here:

http://www.ufc.com/multicast/

Edit: I don't know why it's not working, but the main event at UFC 103 will be Vitor Belfort vs Rich Franklin.

Double edit: They will probably upload the presser after it's done.

# UFC Dana on Fedor - We tried everything that we could possibly do to get Fedor in the UFC – we went above and beyond.

# UFC More Dana on Fedor - They did not want to take the deal. I guarantee they won’t be offered a better deal.

# UFC Tito Ortiz is signed and back in the Octagon!!!

#UFC Three year ESPN deal signed in the UK - starts with UFC 101

# UFC Dan Lauzon, Ben Rothwell, Chase Gormley, and Paul Daley all coming to the UFC.

From the UFC's Twitter account.

Edited by King of Anarchy

Thanks for the updates KOA

No problem.

Dan Henderson next in line for a shot at the middleweight title held by Anderson Silva. – UFC Twitter account

During a media conference call today, UFC president Dana White confirmed Ortiz has re-signed with the organization. No debut date has been set, but Ortiz hopes to fight before year's end, and White said it could be against Mark Coleman. – MMAJunkie

Tito Ortiz will retire in the UFC - Dana White

UFC gave me an offer I couldn't refuse. I'm happy. I'm satisfied. You'll never hear anything about money from me ever again - Tito Ortiz

Edited by King of Anarchy

I think Brock wouldn't match up very well with Machida.Machida can avoid takedowns from the best,and his insane counterstrikes coupled with Brocks suspect defense would make for a good fight.After Brock eats a few kicks and superman punches he'll back off and be a sitting duck for the calf strikes.Machida is just too fast and elite left-right mobility too good for Lesnar.If he fell he'd be toast though.IMHO who knows.

Dana on Fedor today.... Harbinger, you'll love this. I'm with Dana on this one though. He doesn't wanna sign, then f--- him.

It goes to the point that Dana needs Fedor more than Fedor needs the UFC. I love it. Dana knows he can't get that bit of credibility that comes from having the Best fighter on the Planet. Until that happens Dana's Heavyweights will not be considered the best in the world. Just the best in the UFC. That's why he's so upset. Cross promote if you really want him that bad Dana. Those are the ground rules and have been the ground rules since the beginning. He just can't bring himself to doing what is actually best for his fans and for MMA because he doesn't want to share the spotlight with another promotion.

Thanks for posting the interview. Nothing makes me smile more than hearing Dana white perplexed and completely dismantled.

Edited by Harbinger

Dana White sounds like a whiny little b*tch. It's hilarious to hear that interview. So unprofessional. He's a child who didnt get his candy. He's upset his guys get no cred.

EDIT: He keeps doing his stupid WWE impression and acting all tough. I'd respect him more if he talked and acted more professional. This profanity and complaining and whining is stupid. If he wants the UFC to be considered a top sport like the Big 3 (NFL,NBA,MLB), then he needs to grow up.

Edited by MegaNuck

It goes to the point that Dana needs Fedor more than Fedor needs the UFC. I love it. Dana knows he can't get that bit of credibility that comes from having the Best fighter on the Planet. Until that happens Dana's Heavyweights will not be considered the best in the world. Just the best in the UFC. That's why he's so upset. Cross promote if you really want him that bad Dana. Those are the ground rules and have been the ground rules since the beginning. He just can't bring himself to doing what is actually best for his fans and for MMA because he doesn't want to share the spotlight with another promotion.

Thanks for posting the interview. Nothing makes me smile more than hearing Dana white perplexed and completely dismantled.

You have to be insane to think cross promotion is even remotely fair or worth it. I don't even like dana white, but those demands are ridiculous. Fedor will always have an asterisk by his name without the ufc. He's the jason krog of mma. Great in the minor leagues!

Edited by Luongo = Cup

You have to be insane to think cross promotion is even remotely fair or worth it. I don't even like dana white, but those demands are ridiculous. Fedor will always have an asterisk by his name without the ufc. He's the jason krog of mma. Great in the minor leagues!

I'm not sure if you know this or not. But up until Pride was bought up and dismantled by the UFC. It was the greatest heavyweight division. There is no taking that back those 7 years. Fedor's legacy will not be tarnished by not fighting in the UFC. The UFC's brand is tarnished by not having him.

I'm not sure if you know this or not. But up until Pride was bought up and dismantled by the UFC. It was the greatest heavyweight division. There is no taking that back those 7 years. Fedor's legacy will not be tarnished by not fighting in the UFC. The UFC's brand is tarnished by not having him.

This is true, and in the Pride years Fedor beat many of the fighters that are in UFC today.

But, damn I wish they would just work something out, I really want to see Fedor and Lesnar fight.

This is true, and in the Pride years Fedor beat many of the fighters that are in UFC today.

But, damn I wish they would just work something out, I really want to see Fedor and Lesnar fight.

I would love to see the fight too. I think it would make for a good spectacle.

Nobody should be questioning Fedor's legacy with multiple notable wins over the likes of Crocop, Nogueira, Schilt, etc. But, I don't think he's faced a prime fighter since Crocop in 2005. I don't buy into the whole 'pound for pound' label, but at the moment, Fedor's present credibility is unknown beating the likes of Tim Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski. Brock, although I hate his antics, has looked equally dominant against some very good fighters in Randy, Frank, and Heath. He also happens to be the champ, so there's no arguing that he's a viable opponent for the Last Emperor.

I guess as a fan I'd love to Fedor take out Brock in vintage cold emotionless style.