The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

5 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

The new owners had to go into debt and take on many investors, including well-known athletes and celebrities, to scrounge up over $4 Billion to buy the UFC.  They're going to money grub at every turn that they can.  Most money is made on the casual fans and casual fans like spectacles and popular fighters like GSP.  There are many more casual fans than there are hardcore.

I watched some of the highlights of the press conferences today and you can just tell that the transition from sport to entertainment is almost complete. 

Just now, Down by the River said:

I watched some of the highlights of the press conferences today and you can just tell that the transition from sport to entertainment is almost complete. 

Like many of the fighters have been saying in their pressers since Conor came on the scene and took over, the money follows the entertainers and if they want the big contracts and the cash that goes along with it, they need to do more than just compete.  They have to put on a show.

Depending on your point of view, that means that the sport is either evolving or devolving.  Personally, as long as the matches are good, I don't care. 

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

Like many of the fighters have been saying in their pressers since Conor came on the scene and took over, the money follows the entertainers and if they want the big contracts and the cash that goes along with it, they need to do more than just compete.  They have to put on a show.

Depending on your point of view, that means that the sport is either evolving or devolving.  Personally, as long as the matches are good, I don't care. 

I still think that matches are good, but I also think they could be better. The UFC is lucky that there is so much talent and that the women's divisions have really come into their own. This way, they can get away with some of the 'money' fights on the main card yet still have stacked prelims.

4 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I still think that matches are good, but I also think they could be better. The UFC is lucky that there is so much talent and that the women's divisions have really come into their own. This way, they can get away with some of the 'money' fights on the main card yet still have stacked prelims.

The talent, especially in the women's divisions is constantly increasing.  It amazes me how much better the women have gotten in a few short years. 

Edited by SabreFan1

38 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I almost forgot about UFC 211 tonight!  :shock:

I don't really watch UFC but decided to bet on this Poirier guy and now the fight may end by DQ. Better not lose my moneeeey

1 minute ago, HI5 said:

Ya $&!#t..they ended up voidin that fight so it doesn't count towards my parlay bet. 

You got boned by the referee.  Technically Poirier should have won by DQ since both knees were illegal, not just the second one.

5 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

You got boned by the referee.  Technically Poirier should have won by DQ since both knees were illegal, not just the second one.

Yeah, straight up. I literally thought it was fair game till I heard Rogan explain it. 

Not familiar with UFC rules, figured id give it a go for bets and see how I did. 

Edgar won, Maia and Stipane (i think) ned to win and im good!

Just now, HI5 said:

Yeah, straight up. I literally thought it was fair game till I heard Rogan explain it. 

Not familiar with UFC rules, figured id give it a go for bets and see how I did. 

Edgar won, Maia and Stipane (i think) ned to win and im good!

If Texas had the new rule set in force, the first knee would have been totally legal.  As with everything though, Texas is slow so they are fighting under the old rules.

• Upvote 1