The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Just now, Down by the River said:

That was another good Fight Night card. I like that Hunt keeps going after horse-meat Overeem. It has been a bad year for UFC PPV-wise, but I think that is at least in part because they have put out such good cards on Fox. More ppl are tuning in to Fox than ever before I imagine. 

Supposedly the DJ card didn't do well in ratings at all. 

5 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

Was torn on the main event last night. Love the Super Samoan but Derrick Lewis was looking really dangerous and the first exciting HW contender in a while. The legend of Mark Hunt continues! 

If Lewis had the cardio and stamina, he would be a top 3 HW for sure. 

Just now, TheHitman said:

Supposedly the DJ card didn't do well in ratings at all. 

Maybe, but that would be one card out of ten and DJ is maybe the least marketable successful UFC fighter on the roster. I like watching him fight, but I find him to be a bit of a weirdo in terms of his mannerisms. He might be a really nice guy in person, but to me he comes off very awkward and has never managed to sell his story, show who he is, make himself interesting to a broader fan base. There is also almost nobody in the 125 division that has made themselves known. John Dodson had a run for a while, but now its just DJ fighting a bunch of guys who don't bring much of a following.

One guy that might be interesting at 125 is Ben Nguyen. He seems to be one of the only flyweights that actually knocks guys out. Personally, that's not a requirement for an exciting fight, but for others, they don't care about you unless you are putting people down.

22 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

And flying to all corners of the world.

Would probably have time to get his cardio to where it needs to be tbh. Even then I think beating Hunt would've probably been his peak. Maybe could beat Ngannou. 

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/03/bellator-180-pay-per-view-price-set-at-49-95-for-high-definition

"The Bellator 180 pay-per-view offering, “Bellator NYC,” will set you back $49.95 for the high-definition version of the company’s second pay-per-view event on June 24 at Madison Square Garden in New York City."

Anyone in here going to be shelling out the money for the Bellator NYC card?

Normally I'm not a huge fan of the old UFC vets fighting these days but since the feud between Wandy and Chael goes way back I'll admit I'm a bit intrigued.

I like watching Chandler fight as well and I'm not fan of Lorenz Larkin so to maybe see him get beat would be nice.  I'm not willing to pay $50 USD for these fights though so I'll ether hit the cigar bar or just check out the highlights.

The free UFC card Sunday has some good fights lined up so I'll definitely be watching that.

4 hours ago, Bocivus said:

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/03/bellator-180-pay-per-view-price-set-at-49-95-for-high-definition

"The Bellator 180 pay-per-view offering, “Bellator NYC,” will set you back $49.95 for the high-definition version of the company’s second pay-per-view event on June 24 at Madison Square Garden in New York City."

Anyone in here going to be shelling out the money for the Bellator NYC card?

Normally I'm not a huge fan of the old UFC vets fighting these days but since the feud between Wandy and Chael goes way back I'll admit I'm a bit intrigued.

I like watching Chandler fight as well and I'm not fan of Lorenz Larkin so to maybe see him get beat would be nice.  I'm not willing to pay $50 USD for these fights though so I'll ether hit the cigar bar or just check out the highlights.

The free UFC card Sunday has some good fights lined up so I'll definitely be watching that.

Not sure about this one, Chael's last fight was very suspect. Hard to justify spending that much. 

I hope Tim Boetsch beats the snot out of Johnny Hendricks. Guy is like 5'8 and can't make weight at 185? 

The penalty for missing weight should be more than 20% of purse. 

Hendricks probably won the GSP fight, but given that it seems like he was juiced to the gills at that time doesn't make me feel much sympathy for him.

• Upvote 1

Sonnen taking down Wanderlei at will with the double leg. Wanderlei almost knocked Sonnen out a couple times though.

Sonnen wins 30-26 30-27 30-27 in vintage Sonnen style, double leg take down and smother.

Wanderlei with a poor-sport push right after the fight and one during the post-fight interview.

Edited by CanucksHomer

19 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Why is Fedor still fighting?  Is he broke?  He's what great fighters look like if they don't take steroids in their 30s.  Silva, Henderson, Couture.. all juicers.  

lol, the entire sport is loaded with doped up rednecks

On 6/25/2017 at 4:34 PM, CanadianRugby said:

Why is Fedor still fighting?  Is he broke?  He's what great fighters look like if they don't take steroids in their 30s.  Silva, Henderson, Couture.. all juicers.  

I've been asking myself the same...in the post fight presser says he isn't planning on stopping because "he is a fighter". 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, tonight's UFC 213 main event just fell apart...........

Amanda Nunes went to the hospital because she wasn't feeling well.  The doctor said that she was clear to fight, but she said she still didn't want to fight, so Dana White had no choice but to pull the match from the card.

http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/19919490/amanda-nunes-pulls-main-event-prior-ufc-213