The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

2 hours ago, Isam said:

Oh please, please, please, let this be true and be the main event. Rumour has it cerrone vs iaquinta is supposed to happen at ufc ottawa. Please be true.

Good test for Cowboy, if he beats Al then could see him fight McMoney at fight week in July. I like how often Cowboy wants to fight, not a fan of long layoffs for fighters. They have a shelf life and I appreciate Cowboy fight as much as possible making $ while he can for his family

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Good test for Cowboy, if he beats Al then could see him fight McMoney at fight week in July. I like how often Cowboy wants to fight, not a fan of long layoffs for fighters. They have a shelf life and I appreciate Cowboy fight as much as possible making $ while he can for his family

Cowboy seems to have found a different gear to his game. More focused on the game plan and winning as opposed to putting on a show.

Dillashaw has popped for something. Not a surprise....massive weight cut in his last outing...has a body that looks too good to be true...guess it is.

Feel bad for Garbrandt. He has been claiming this for sometime and thanks to TJ it looks like Cody's chin will never be the same.

Anyway, In other news... I look forward to this. I really enjoy my fancy strikers and it doesn't get much better than this guy. He probably has to keep it standing to get the V, he's getting older and I don't think he has much ground game.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/3/19/18272960/kickboxer-raymond-daniels-to-make-bellator-mma-debut-at-bellator-birmingham

Some highlights if you don't know who he is...

http://wckarate.com/Instructors/Raymond-Daniels

Yes, he's got a karate background, of course I like him....brought to you by CDC's local 'shodan' :towel:

47 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Wow Pettis catches Wonderboy after being lit up for a bit. 

Happy to see Pettis pull of the W. It is nice to see a guy go up in weight...to a weight class they should probably legit be at. I hate all the massive weight cutting to get to a lower weight. Be nice if they just fought at their natural weights.

Big victory for him to go up in weight and beat the #3 ranked WW tho!

• Cheers 1

Good thing I put some money down on Pettis. At +270 on a former champ without having to deal with a massive weight cut, no brainer. He was losing the fight up until that point though but can never count Showtime out. 

46 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Anybody know how to catch last night's fights?

if you have telus tv you can go back a full day on the guide and watch shows, you just have to watch commercials, unless you pause it for a while then watch it. 

12 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Conor McGregor says he's retired.

He should go into acting/WWE maybe.

Some would say he is one of the most overrated fighters in combat sports history.

His last big win was against Jose Aldo.

Made a living off beating up smaller guys in lower weight classes while he bulked up after the weigh in doing extreme cuts.

Never developed a proper ground game.

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

He should go into acting/WWE maybe.

Some would say he is one of the most overrated fighters in combat sports history.

His last big win was against Jose Aldo.

Made a living off beating up smaller guys in lower weight classes while he bulked up after the weigh in doing extreme cuts.

Never developed a proper ground game.

First thought that came to my mind when seeing this was he's probably going to WWE, there's no question imo his strut he had before entering the ring was something he picked up from watching WWE when he was younger, the Mr. McMahon strut.

c02.gif

There is a rumor about an incident McGregor may of had at a bar recently, which may of killed any chance of negotiating a new deal to have another fight, something about a fan wanting to take a photo of him with a phone and McGregor got mad, so instead he just retired, again that's a rumor not sure how concrete it is.

38 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

First thought that came to my mind when seeing this was he's probably going to WWE, there's no question imo his strut he had before entering the ring was something he picked up from watching WWE when he was younger, the Mr. McMahon strut.

c02.gif

There is a rumor about an incident McGregor may of had at a bar recently, which may of killed any chance of negotiating a new deal to have another fight, something about a fan wanting to take a photo of him with a phone and McGregor got mad, so instead he just retired, again that's a rumor not sure how concrete it is.

I think you might be mixing rumors.

The very true rumor (caught on camera, he was arrested) involved him smashing the phone of a fan that tried to snap a picture. 

The other very unsubstantiated rumor was regarding sexual offenses. I don't give any stock to this rumor.

I think this is most likely a negotiation strategy. Doesn't even sound like his way of speaking... could be his agent/social media handler that tweeted it. Another rumor was that he has been training with American Top Team in Miami. Another reason why it is a negotiation strategy is because if he were actually retiring, such an announcement would give him a ton of publicity. Given the number of ventures he has, it would be ridiculous to pass up that opportunity for attention. 

McGregor announcing he is retiring is almost one of the surest signs that he intends to fight in the near future. 

7 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I think you might be mixing rumors.

The very true rumor (caught on camera, he was arrested) involved him smashing the phone of a fan that tried to snap a picture. 

The other very unsubstantiated rumor was regarding sexual offenses. I don't give any stock to this rumor.

I think this is most likely a negotiation strategy. Doesn't even sound like his way of speaking... could be his agent/social media handler that tweeted it. Another rumor was that he has been training with American Top Team in Miami. Another reason why it is a negotiation strategy is because if he were actually retiring, such an announcement would give him a ton of publicity. Given the number of ventures he has, it would be ridiculous to pass up that opportunity for attention. 

McGregor announcing he is retiring is almost one of the surest signs that he intends to fight in the near future. 

Yeah no clue I really don't follow UFC or MMA at all, just something I quickly read online last night after seeing this tweet of retiring, and possibly someone's reasoning to why they think he maybe doing it. Supposedly Dana White commented last night as well basically saying it's probably the best thing for him to retire he's got his money and he likes his WHISKEY, that will keep him busy.

Regarding McGregor and what I've seen here and there occasionally in the past, I think he's a tool and the UFC is a joke, if you want my honest opinion.

58 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yeah no clue I really don't follow UFC or MMA at all, just something I quickly read online last night after seeing this tweet of retiring, and possibly someone's reasoning to why they think he maybe doing it. Supposedly Dana White commented last night as well basically saying it's probably the best thing for him to retire he's got his money and he likes his WHISKEY, that will keep him busy.

Regarding McGregor and what I've seen here and there occasionally in the past, I think he's a tool and the UFC is a joke, if you want my honest opinion.

You might know more than me! This story just came out:

Conor McGregor is under investigation in his native Ireland after being accused of sexual assault in December, the New York Times reports.

The 30-year-old Dubliner, who announced his retirement from MMA earlier on Tuesday, was arrested in January and later released pending further investigation, having never been charged with a crime. 

The woman alleges the assault took place at the Beacon Hill Hotel in Dublin, where McGregor was a guest in December. A person with knowledge of the investigation told the New York Times that police had taken evidence from the room in which McGregor was staying, as well as security footage from the hotel.

While Irish media has reported on the case since January, McGregor has not been named as Irish law dictates that individuals charged with rape cannot be named unless they are convicted.

https://www.tsn.ca/report-mcgregor-under-sexual-assault-investigation-1.1280071