The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are you listening to?

Rate this topic

Love the beat.

the producer is this guy named Oddisee, who is something of an east coast underground legend in the making.

also linked to this song in the other thread. also has a great beat, but, more than that it has oldschool ass lyrics with lots of calling out and boasting. it's a small line, but how many rappers actually have the nerve to call out Kanye and Kendrick and every trap rapper at the same time?? i hate when people talk about how "music today sucks" or whatever, but with rap a lot of its actually true. some crazy good stuff out there, but a lot of its neutered. this is what rap was like when it had teeth, IMO

i love Kanye, but i also love the idea of some underground dudes dismissing him, too

Comin up right here in the district

We made it cool for K. Dot to do what he do

Oddisee better than Kanye too

Real DC N-- Sh--

Before rap was in the trap my gun was the publicist

After Alpo you couldn't come to my city

And you aint know who Wayne Perry was before Jay said it

With one album we went to number 1 in the city

We functionally dysfunctional you let them tell it

Oh I know you aint think the brothers were thru

F-- it we better than all y'all too

Call y'all crew, trap rap that's all y'all do

This mac in my back pack

Will make you call out truce

alright, i'll stop now

Edited by GLASSJAW
  • Upvote 1

the producer is this guy named Oddisee, who is something of an east coast underground legend in the making.

also linked to this song in the other thread. also has a great beat, but, more than that it has oldschool ass lyrics with lots of calling out and boasting. it's a small line, but how many rappers actually have the nerve to call out Kanye and Kendrick and every trap rapper at the same time?? i hate when people talk about how "music today sucks" or whatever, but with rap a lot of its actually true. some crazy good stuff out there, but a lot of its neutered. this is what rap was like when it had teeth, IMO

i love Kanye, but i also love the idea of some underground dudes dismissing him, too

Comin up right here in the district

We made it cool for K. Dot to do what he do

Oddisee better than Kanye too

Real DC N-- Sh--

Before rap was in the trap my gun was the publicist

After Alpo you couldn't come to my city

And you aint know who Wayne Perry was before Jay said it

With one album we went to number 1 in the city

We functionally dysfunctional you let them tell it

Oh I know you aint think the brothers were thru

F-- it we better than all y'all too

Call y'all crew, trap rap that's all y'all do

This mac in my back pack

Will make you call out truce

alright, i'll stop now

Nice, I'm going to have to check out more of their stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x58gDMjDbc8

• Upvote 1

pitchfork just gave a positive review to the new Father John Misty song, but the review started with this, which i found hilarious:

A central irony of Josh Tillman's very likable Father John Misty alias is that he's so often the exact person most indie rock fans totally f--ing loathe in real life—a kind of mystic himbo who somehow exists outside our economy and labor force, drinking, drugging, and f--ing his way through life, and yet the rent's always paid. People tell him he looks better with age. No consequences of note are suffered. Least of all, he attracts not even a fraction of the sh-- Lana Del Rey gets for embodying a parallel sort of archetype. Some might call that male privilege and Tillman probably would, too.

haha.

anyway, old song by him that i love

• Upvote 1