The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

Dam, I knew I shouldn't have come into this thread. Not much point in watching the rest of the match now. Good run, Milos!

You probably shouldn't have, knowing the match was already over. But still, my bad. lol

Just caught the replay. Raonic played very well, but did not get his first serve in as consistently as was required...and Ferrer played fantastic tennis.

Seeing how ecstatic Ferrer was at defeating Milos and making the final shows just how much respect Milos is gathering on tour.

Just looking at the draw for the Madrid ATP1000. Not a good one for Milos. He gets David Nalbandian in the 1st round....and if he gets by the former world #3 next up will be Federer..

French Open gets going in 2 weeks, hopefully Rafa can get by Nole in the Final if they meet to get a little confidence against him for the rest of the year. I really hope that Rafa will one day be able to pass Fed in majors won, but considering that Fed may win 1 or 2 more, and just how well Novak has been playing the last 2 years, I'm not sure it will be possible for Rafa.

And its been bugging me for awhile, but did Rafa's gold medal in the 2008 Olympics push him into the #1 ranking, or did he have to come back and win the next tournament as well? Im not sure if that information is readily available, but it would be nice to know.

Edited by oh captain my captain

French Open gets going in 2 weeks, hopefully Rafa can get by Nole in the Final if they meet to get a little confidence against him for the rest of the year. I really hope that Rafa will one day be able to pass Fed in majors won, but considering that Fed may win 1 or 2 more, and just how well Novak has been playing the last 2 years, I'm not sure it will be possible for Rafa.

And its been bugging me for awhile, but did Rafa's gold medal in the 2008 Olympics push him into the #1 ranking, or did he have to come back and win the next tournament as well? Im not sure if that information is readily available, but it would be nice to know.

Be surprised if he catches Fed, Nadal's style of play is incredibly hard on the body, he already has struggled with knee problems, Federer is such an easy, graceful mover he could still be a top contender for several more years.

Edit: I don't think the Olympics counts in the rankings.

Edited by Persona Non Grata

Be surprised if he catches Fed, Nadal's style of play is incredibly hard on the body, he already has struggled with knee problems, Federer is such an easy, graceful mover he could still be a top contender for several more years.

Edit: I don't think the Olympics counts in the rankings.

I agree, Rafa catching Fed is very unlikely. And also, the Olympics do count for the rankings. It's just a small amount of points you get.

Edited by Toasta Brigger

What a match. Shame that Raonic couldn't pull it out, but he had his opportunites. I still feel that he goes too big, too early and needs to work the points a little more, especially when he's got an opportunity to break. That's 2 times in a row that Milos has pushed Federer to the brink, and I think its only a matter of time before he gets over the hump.

Edited by oh captain my captain

What a match. Shame that Raonic couldn't pull it out, but he had his opportunites. I still feel that he goes too big, too early and needs to work the points a little more, especially when he's got an opportunity to break. That's 2 times in a row that Milos has pushed Federer to the brink, and I think its only a matter of time before he gets over the hump.

Milos strength is his ability to finish rallies early with aggression. The longer the rallies go the less likely he is to win the point. Aggresive early is the better strategy for him.

And that match was terrific. 1/8 in the break points vs 1/2 for Federer is the stat of the match. Then he made a couple of errors when the tension rose in the tiebreak.