The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Lions/CFL 2012 Season thread

Canucks_fo_life

0-5 start last year, 2-2 so far this season, I'm ok with this. We could easily be 4-0, lost my 3 measly points in Saskatchewan, with Macallum missing 2 field goals, and we probably would have won had Geroy caught that pass, instead of it bouncing off his hands to an eski for the 110 yard TD that put the nail in the coffin. I still think BC is the best team in this league

I think we all saw this coming.

TORONTO - The Canadian Football League announced today that BC Lions defensive tackle Khalif Mitchell has been suspended for two games.

The discipline is in response to a play in which Mitchell performed an unnecessary, reckless act on Edmonton Eskimo offensive lineman Simeon Rottier during the second quarter of Friday night’s game in Vancouver.

CFL Commissioner Mark Cohon held a hearing late today with Mitchell and a representative of the Canadian Football League Players’ Association via telephone.

“This type of behaviour has no place in our game and will not be tolerated,” Cohon said. “Any play that unnecessarily puts one of our players at risk of serious injury will be met with discipline.”

Mitchell has recorded 4 defensive tackles in as many game so far this season and is coming off a career year in 2011 where he recorded 33 tackles and 6 quarterback sacks.

Lions' Khalif Mitchell will appeal 2-game suspension:

B.C. Lions defensive lineman Khalif Mitchell will appeal his two-game suspension for hyperextending the arm of Edmonton offensive lineman Simeon Rottier during a game Friday night.

The CFL announced Mitchell's appeal in a statement Tuesday.

The league suspended Mitchell for two games Monday night after Mitchell violently pulled on Rottier's arm, bending it grotesquely in an unnatural fashion that resulted in the joint being hyperextended.

Rottier left the game and although he returned in the second half he didn't resume playing and isn't expected to suit up when Edmonton visits Winnipeg on Thursday night.

No penalty was called on the play.

An arbitration hearing will be scheduled during the week of Aug. 6.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/story/2012/07/24/sp-cfl-bc-lions-khalif-mitchell-suspension.html

K.....enough with this taking it easy crap. I wanna see our boys absolutely devastate every idiot Stamps fan who pays money to go to the game tonight. I want the Stamps players to have orange coloured nightmares for weeks. I want the Stampeders to challenge the Flames for most pathetic team in their respective league......and it all starts tonight!!! GO LIONS!!!!

/pep talk

K.....enough with this taking it easy crap. I wanna see our boys absolutely devastate every idiot Stamps fan who pays money to go to the game tonight. I want the Stamps players to have orange coloured nightmares for weeks. I want the Stampeders to challenge the Flames for most pathetic team in their respective league......and it all starts tonight!!! GO LIONS!!!!

/pep talk

I think that game demonstrates why the QB position is so important in the CFL.

I the first half, the OL was doing a poor job of pass protection, but Travis was able to use his legs to escape the pressure and in many cases turn nothing into something.

I the second half, the line got it's collective act together (and the Stamps' DL tired a bit, IMO) and Lulay was able to use his arm to put Calgary away. Some pretty bad turnovers for them as well....

The only concern for the Lions still is special teams both return team and cover units. Although the cover units didn't really have to have their coverage tested a whole lot because the LIons were directional kicking trying to keep the ball away from Taylor.

The Lions had a pretty poor field position to start most drives but credit the offence for putting long drives together and turning a couple of them into touchdowns instead of just field goals.

The long drives also ate most of the clock in the second half and BC was able to keep rolling. However they still need better returns on kickoffs to help set up the offence with a shorter distance to the end zone. You can't expect the Lions to put those type of drives together next week against a tough defence.

Toronto should be another good test next week to see if this team is starting to round into their grey cup form.

Archived