The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

Last I read this thread, Nov. 24th It looked grim for both the CHI Wolves and J.S.

Glad to see that as one has improved, so has the other. He was semi-close to making the big squad 2 years ago.

Hope he gets a look soon to get a nice fat NHL pay cheque and a taste of the NHL... to remind him of why he toils.

It was 12 spots after Hodgson. However, Cody was the #9 ranked NA skater (#4 ranked forward) in 2008. Jordan was the #5 ranked NA skater (#5 ranked forward) in 2009. Cody led Team Canada and the WJC tournament in scoring in 2009, but Jordan also led Team USA in scoring that year.

Schroeder is no slouch, and based on pure skill, Jordan is slightly above Cody.

how the hell do you know that

stop talking like you know everything

I have a feeling we'll be seeing Schroeder up really soon. Ebbett would still be gone after the All-Star break I'm guessing, so we are left with 12 forwards (I assume Rome/Alberts would be our 13th if needed).

We know management likes to call guys up for a couple games to evaluate our farm players and to acclimatize guys to the team, I imagine Schroeder is next on the list. This might not coincide well right now with them looking at Tanev/D options, management may decide to stick with 12 forwards in order to more properly evaluate the defense (the idea that if Salo returns, but they aren't done evaluating Tanev or want to keep Tanev up, we would be running with 9 D, no room for a 13th forward regardless of Ebbet being out).

My question would be, would Schroeder get his feet wet on the Canucks as a center or a wing? We easily move Kesler or Coho to wing for a couple games and use Schroeder in the position he is comfortable with, or we could go with the 'wingers have less responsibilities' mantra. There was much talk by AV/MG about helping out Cody by starting him on wing, but we also all saw how much more comfortable his game looked when being placed at center, I wonder if management will stick to their wing-first idea, or if Cody's play will have swayed them away from that mentality. Counter to the wing-first mentality, management has always stated they want players on the farm playing the role they would play on the Canucks, and we clearly see Schroeder being used as a center in the AHL.

Edit: I imagine Bitz will also get a look before the deadline, if possible, and I would imagine Sauve/Connauton will have to wait till after deadline.

I have a feeling we'll be seeing Schroeder up really soon. Ebbett would still be gone after the All-Star break I'm guessing, so we are left with 12 forwards (I assume Rome/Alberts would be our 13th if needed).

We know management likes to call guys up for a couple games to evaluate our farm players and to acclimatize guys to the team, I imagine Schroeder is next on the list. This might not coincide well right now with them looking at Tanev/D options, management may decide to stick with 12 forwards in order to more properly evaluate the defense (the idea that if Salo returns, but they aren't done evaluating Tanev or want to keep Tanev up, we would be running with 9 D, no room for a 13th forward regardless of Ebbet being out).

My question would be, would Schroeder get his feet wet on the Canucks as a center or a wing? We easily move Kesler or Coho to wing for a couple games and use Schroeder in the position he is comfortable with, or we could go with the 'wingers have less responsibilities' mantra. There was much talk by AV/MG about helping out Cody by starting him on wing, but we also all saw how much more comfortable his game looked when being placed at center, I wonder if management will stick to their wing-first idea, or if Cody's play will have swayed them away from that mentality. Counter to the wing-first mentality, management has always stated they want players on the farm playing the role they would play on the Canucks, and we clearly see Schroeder being used as a center in the AHL.

Edit: I imagine Bitz will also get a look before the deadline, if possible, and I would imagine Sauve/Connauton will have to wait till after deadline.

Makes sense to me. I know AV has said in the past that in order for Schroeder to make it to the NHL he'd have to dominate at the AHL level but I think a recall couldn't hurt, especially with such an upside like his. I really do think players get better after getting a taste and, after adjusting to the NHL pace, realizing that the AHL isn't so hard after all. The confidence boost and the knowledge gained are probably big factors.

I also think Bitz will get a look for the 4th line RW position, if only to spell Weise and remind him to keep playing physical or else there will be others to take your spot. wink.gif But also to get him to acclimatize to the NHL again if we need him in the playoffs.

However, I'm not sure if we can even afford to recall Schroeder. Doesn't he have a cap hit of 1 mil or something? The Nucks might not have the space.

Archived