The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

And was picked 12 or 13 spots after Hodgson....

It was 12 spots after Hodgson. However, Cody was the #9 ranked NA skater (#4 ranked forward) in 2008. Jordan was the #5 ranked NA skater (#5 ranked forward) in 2009. Cody led Team Canada and the WJC tournament in scoring in 2009, but Jordan also led Team USA in scoring that year.

Schroeder is no slouch, and based on pure skill, Jordan is slightly above Cody.

It was 12 spots after Hodgson. However, Cody was the #9 ranked NA skater (#4 ranked forward) in 2008. Jordan was the #5 ranked NA skater (#5 ranked forward) in 2009. Cody led Team Canada and the WJC tournament in scoring in 2009, but Jordan also led Team USA in scoring that year.

Schroeder is no slouch, and based on pure skill, Jordan is slightly above Cody.

I think we could agree that Cody brings more than just pure skill. Cody's game is based on hockey iq, vision and a tremendous shot.

I don't think he meant it in a way to discredit Hodgson. He's simply saying Schroeders a more skilled player, that does not mean better.

Yeah, I think Hodgson is the better overall hockey player, but Schroeder is more skilled.

His new pace is an encouraging sign. How has his defense progressed? I know he was dedicated to it. Has that suffered at all now that he is back to scoring?

The assist he got the other night on Sweatt's goal was directly from Schroeder being in perfect defensive position to intercept the breakout pass and then tee it up for Sweatt. His defensive acumen has always been there (PKer for Team USA @ WJC) but it's been his work ethic that has been rising steadily this year (from everything I've read & seen) and that has helped his WJC defensive game begin to translate to the AHL level on a more consistent basis.

Yeah, I think Hodgson is the better overall hockey player, but Schroeder is more skilled.

Really? Honestly I think Hodgson is more skilled, you can see it the way he stick handles the puck so well.

I think Schroeder is an amazing player and he will be in the NHL one day, but overall my opinion is that Hodgson is more well rounded

Really? Honestly I think Hodgson is more skilled, you can see it the way he stick handles the puck so well.

I think Schroeder is an amazing player and he will be in the NHL one day, but overall my opinion is that Hodgson is more well rounded

I've got to agree here. Schroeder sure has a lot of skill, much like Wellwood has a lot of skill, but to say that he's more skilled than Hodgson is not accurate. It just seems that way because that's pretty much all he brings to the table and he has to rely on it at all times. Hodgson has so many other weapons that he can rely on (positioning, reading the play, being 2 steps ahead of most others, etc) that he doesn't need to just go flat out and try to deke the whole team to get to a scoring chance, where Schroeder does. I'd say they are close to being on par with pure skill, but hodgson's intangibles and other assets are what has allowed him to move seamlessly into the NHL. Schroeder will still be a good, maybe great, NHL player in the future (hopefully with us) but (like pretty much everyone agrees) hodgson will have the better career.

What I meant by Schroeder being more skilled than Hodgson is what people mean by Patrick Kane being more skilled than Jonathan Toews. Kane is clearly more offensively gifted and has great nifty hands and skills. Toews, while being very skilled himself, is not quite at Kane's level, but he has the intangibles which make him a better hockey player than Kane. Also, Toews is able to do some offensive things that Kane is incapable of doing just because of those intangibles (ie, scoring the SHG to tie the game in the last 2 minutes of Game 7 in the playoffs), just like Cody is able to do some things that Schroeder cannot do.

For Schroeder to have even been considered a top 5 NA skater in 2009 despite his size issues, it meant that his skills were valued that high. Also, the fact that he is considered 2nd only to Cody in our forward prospects despite the size clearly indicates the high level of skill that Schroeder has. The only things that sets him behind Cody is his lack of size and Cody's character and leadership IMO--which is precisely the reason why Kane sits behind Toews.

What I meant by Schroeder being more skilled than Hodgson is what people mean by Patrick Kane being more skilled than Jonathan Toews. Kane is clearly more offensively gifted and has great nifty hands and skills. Toews, while being very skilled himself, is not quite at Kane's level, but he has the intangibles which make him a better hockey player than Kane. Also, Toews is able to do some offensive things that Kane is incapable of doing just because of those intangibles (ie, scoring the SHG to tie the game in the last 2 minutes of Game 7 in the playoffs), just like Cody is able to do some things that Schroeder cannot do.

For Schroeder to have even been considered a top 5 NA skater in 2009 despite his size issues, it meant that his skills were valued that high. Also, the fact that he is considered 2nd only to Cody in our forward prospects despite the size clearly indicates the high level of skill that Schroeder has. The only things that sets him behind Cody is his lack of size and Cody's character and leadership IMO--which is precisely the reason why Kane sits behind Toews.

Really well put!

8 goals 9 assists - 17 points in 36 games for Schroeder now with the Wolves this season.

He's basically at the .5 PPG pace, which is good, but he can be better.

The good thing is, he has always been known to heat up more in the second half of the season. So look for him to improve on that pace.

You guys say he is more "skilled" please elaborate. But all accounts, Cody Hodgson is also a very skilled player, better shooter, more arsenal of shots, named the smartest player in the OHL, best penalty killer, and named voted OHL player of the year, then named CHL player of the year. Cody Hodgson has mad puck skills too, and is no slouch when it comes to shoot outs. He is playing only 10 minutes per game, and his stats are amazing. He is the reason why team Canada didn't win the gold medal in 2010.

So please, elaborate on how Schroeder is more skilled. If anything the only thing Schroeder might have on Hodgson is his overall speed, but other then that, Hodsgson smokes Schroeder in almost every department of the game.

You guys say he is more "skilled" please elaborate. But all accounts, Cody Hodgson is also a very skilled player, better shooter, more arsenal of shots, named the smartest player in the OHL, best penalty killer, and named voted OHL player of the year, then named CHL player of the year. Cody Hodgson has mad puck skills too, and is no slouch when it comes to shoot outs. He is playing only 10 minutes per game, and his stats are amazing. He is the reason why team Canada didn't win the gold medal in 2010.

So please, elaborate on how Schroeder is more skilled. If anything the only thing Schroeder might have on Hodgson is his overall speed, but other then that, Hodsgson smokes Schroeder in almost every department of the game.

Better hands, footwork and speed. Don't get me wrong, Cody has those, and I think Cody is the better player. But in order for Schroeder to even survive in competitive hockey due to his size he requires his skill to be such an integral part of his game. It doesn't matter how well you can see the ice if you're 5'8 and don't have an extremely high amount of skill. It's why in general as size goes up, skill goes down in the NHL.

He's basically at the .5 PPG pace, which is good, but he can be better.

The good thing is, he has always been known to heat up more in the second half of the season. So look for him to improve on that pace.

Lets hope so. It was really exciting when Schroeder first came to the Moose and finished the regular season with 9 points in 11 games and then went on to be point per game for them in the playoffs (6 points in 6 games). Last season with the Moose he had a pretty tough season only putting up 28 points in 61 games(he was almost at a .5 PPG pace but it was still disappointing after what he did the season before). Lets just hope he heats in the second half of the season with the Wolves this year and has a pretty decent sophomore season in the AHL.

I've got to agree here. Schroeder sure has a lot of skill, much like Wellwood has a lot of skill, but to say that he's more skilled than Hodgson is not accurate. It just seems that way because that's pretty much all he brings to the table and he has to rely on it at all times. Hodgson has so many other weapons that he can rely on (positioning, reading the play, being 2 steps ahead of most others, etc) that he doesn't need to just go flat out and try to deke the whole team to get to a scoring chance, where Schroeder does. I'd say they are close to being on par with pure skill, but hodgson's intangibles and other assets are what has allowed him to move seamlessly into the NHL. Schroeder will still be a good, maybe great, NHL player in the future (hopefully with us) but (like pretty much everyone agrees) hodgson will have the better career.

Wellwood...lol

In the same way that Hodgson is more skilled then Kesler.

I haven't seen Schroeder enough to make a judgement but Hodgson has elite vision and passing as well as a sweet slapper. He has made passes that noone but a Sedin would think of making... Like from the slot to the opposite point who is wide open.

Archived