The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

is Schoreder physical? Can he play bigger than his small size?

Schroeder isn't physical per se, but he is very strong (one of the strongest in his draft combine) and is solid on the puck, he won't be throwing hits out there, but he won't be getting taken out much either. He's gotten much better defensively and is a good two way player.

Jordan Schroeder.... didnt really think we can land this guy in the 22nd pick, but I won't complain much.

so let's talk about him~ what kind of a player is he? Since this guy is a projected 14th-17th pick in most of the mock drafts, I didn't really check this guy out. It seems like alot of people is pretty happy about him since most of the reports stat he's a very talented player. Very good speed, very strong shot, a great playmaker who can make his teamates around him better, it's just too good to think we can land him in the 22nd pick.

But that being said, it seems one of the biggest draw back on Jordan Schroeder is his small size (173 cm) and I am not sure how this will effect his career in the NHL in the future.

Would be nice to see what you guys think of him. biggrin.gif

lets hope great things some in small packages

Guest Dasein

future second line of Kassian Schroeder Jensen would be sweet now we need to stock the cupboard with elite talent for first line in the next 3- 5 years

Enter trade value of Cory Schneider.

Seriously - this team is set for at least a couple decades as long as we draft right this year after getting a high 1st pick or two for Cory - very deep class.

I'm just so confused by this "depth" thing we have going on here. What the heck?

I agree. I don`t think we have that much skill. In fact, we have no real playmakers on the team other than the Sedins, and they play on the same line. JS is probably the only other playmaking centre we have in the pro ranks right now.

if they didn't want cody on the 3rd, there's no way in hell they wand schroeder there. Jordan has no place on this team as long as AV requires the 3rd to be a shutdown role, especially if AV wasn't willing to even think about moving kes to the wing for Cody. Jordan is playing as a center, and it's been clear he wasn't comfortable on the wing, so unless something drastic happens, jordan's even further out of place than cody was and I see him being moved.

I also don`t see AV being comfortable with an undersized offensive forward as his 3rd line shutdown centre. If he can`t move to the wing either, what then? Are we going keep shipping skilled prospects off to somewhere too just because there`s no room for him in the offense-only top 6, even though the Sedins are in their 30`s already?

I also don`t see AV being comfortable with an undersized offensive forward as his 3rd line shutdown centre. If he can`t move to the wing either, what then? Are we going keep shipping skilled prospects off to somewhere too just because there`s no room for him in the offense-only top 6, even though the Sedins are in their 30`s already?

i dont think its about an undersized centre on the third line as much as a guy who is defensively sound. canucks want guys that backcheck fast and play smart in their own end. Schroeder might be as defensively sound as coho was but he also has the ability to make up space with his speed in a way that cody never would have been able to.

Guest Dasein

i dont think its about an undersized centre on the third line as much as a guy who is defensively sound. canucks want guys that backcheck fast and play smart in their own end. Schroeder might be as defensively sound as coho was but he also has the ability to make up space with his speed in a way that cody never would have been able to.

I think Cody may eventually gain that speed through his work ethic. We needed that from him now if he was to play 3rd line center though, which is why I think we shipped him out for Kassian (among other reasons - one being that Kassian is a great player himself).

Schroeder is playing much better than he did last year. But is he dominating the AHL like the Canucks asked him to? No.

So where does he fit in to our roster next year? Will he be a depth call-up guy, or somewhere on the 3rd or 4th line?

I figure 1 more year could do him no harm, but what's this talk about him having an attitude problem?

Guest Dasein

^^^^

He was used to being the best all the time and dominating at every level that he played at, so the fact that he wasn't dominating all the time at the pro level was hard for Schroeder to cope with at the beginning. He had to learn to work extremely hard for everything under our AHL coach Craig MacTavish.

Now his "problems" are gone - he has a great attitude, is dedicated and will do whatever it takes to get to the NHL. He's been consistently putting up numbers as of late and should be a call-up next season for a top 6 role, or he can make the Canucks right away from training camp if he can adjust to playing wing.

Cody Hodgson made the Canucks this season after putting up only 30 points in 52 games - Jordan Schroeder bested Cody by 2 points (had 32 points at the 52 game mark) so if anything, expect Jordan to be where Cody was at the beginning of this season or better come this training camp.

Schroeder is playing much better than he did last year. But is he dominating the AHL like the Canucks asked him to? No.

So where does he fit in to our roster next year? Will he be a depth call-up guy, or somewhere on the 3rd or 4th line?

I figure 1 more year could do him no harm, but what's this talk about him having an attitude problem?

a report from the draft combine and some disgruntled minnesota fans from his last season in college. I think he intentionally blew interviews with teams he didn't want to go to, because different teams reported different things, and the minnesota fans were jaded because his team sucked in general (and they were mad he's going to the canucks when the wild had a chance at him and passed him for leddy).

a report from the draft combine and some disgruntled minnesota fans from his last season in college. I think he intentionally blew interviews with teams he didn't want to go to, because different teams reported different things, and the minnesota fans were jaded because his team sucked in general (and they were mad he's going to the canucks when the wild had a chance at him and passed him for leddy).

Even more funny when the Traded Leddy to get Barker....Barker got them nothing airgo....

I really don't understand why people are confused where our prospects fit in with the big club. Generally you draft the best player available. The team then developes them and when they are ready for the big show it gives the team the ability to either use them to replace a player not performing or trade them for a position they are weak in. Maybe Schroeder becomes a Canuck C/RW next year or maybe we package him for a big D. Either way the goal is to have the best chance at Lord Stanley.

Schroeder is in a similar situation as Hodgson was when it comes to cracking the NHL lineup in Vancouver. Henrik and Kesler have the top 2 center spots locked down. If Schroeder can show he is capable of playing some 3rd line center (ie defensively responsible) plus some versatility to play the wing, he could see some time on the Canucks next year. There is a place for some skill to slot in the bottom 6 and also play on the 2nd unit powerplay.

I think the addition of Kassian helps Schroeder's chances as having another big bodied guy in the lineup means there is potentially a spot for a guy who might be a little undersized in Schroeder. There is no way I would have seen Hodgson and Schroeder both playing in the bottom 6.

I just don't know if AV is the kind of coach who'd be comfortable with a small guy as 3C, even if he was defensively responsible. It's more likely he'll try and encourage him to move to Kesler's wing. But we'll see what happens. I just hope we get a glimpse of him before the regular season is over too. Would also help take away some of the pain from losing Cody.

I just don't know if AV is the kind of coach who'd be comfortable with a small guy as 3C, even if he was defensively responsible. It's more likely he'll try and encourage him to move to Kesler's wing. But we'll see what happens. I just hope we get a glimpse of him before the regular season is over too. Would also help take away some of the pain from losing Cody.

I highly doubt JS will get a call up this year after what happened at the trade deadline. AV will be concentrating on accustoming the new players in Pahlsson and Kassian to the system and finding the right line combinations before the playoffs begin than taking a look at our AHL depth. I know they tried this out last season, but for good reason as we had horrible depth upfront on the fourth line last year. More than likely he will get called up after the Wolves get eliminated from the playoffs, but he will start on the Wolves next year as well and get a call up if there are injuries.

Guest Dasein

was Schroeder projected as a number 1 center or number 2?

He has the skills to be a #1 but size issue hinders his chance at developing into a #1 franchise center.

So #2.

Archived