The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

Schroeder's development was done the right way.

He dominated college hockey as a 17 year old, broke records at the World Juniors. Played another year in college and went pro.

Now he's spent 2 years developing a pro 2way game in the A. It also helps that Hodgson had all of the hype and Schroeder wasn't rushed.

He has just as much skill as Hosgson, but more importantly he's solid on his skates.

I think we have our next NHL ready forward and Sweatt is right there too.

Schroeder's development was done the right way.

He dominated college hockey as a 17 year old, broke records at the World Juniors. Played another year in college and went pro.

Now he's spent 2 years developing a pro 2way game in the A. It also helps that Hodgson had all of the hype and Schroeder wasn't rushed.

He has just as much skill as Hosgson, but more importantly he's solid on his skates.

I think we have our next NHL ready forward and Sweatt is right there too.

I agree - MG said at the Summer Summit that Schroeder will be given every opportunity to take that 2C job while Kesler is out. Hopefully he can do enough good things to have a place for him on the 3C when Kes comes back. He's heard good thiings about his defensive game from McT and AV, so he's definitely improved on that end. I just hope he is quick and solid on his skates so he doesn't get rocked by someone....

Not so sure about Sweatt - he's projected to be a 3rd line checking forward as his upside. Not sure if he can beat Hansen or Higgins on that line. Would love to see what he can do with his speed though at the camp.

I agree - MG said at the Summer Summit that Schroeder will be given every opportunity to take that 2C job while Kesler is out. Hopefully he can do enough good things to have a place for him on the 3C when Kes comes back. He's heard good thiings about his defensive game from McT and AV, so he's definitely improved on that end. I just hope he is quick and solid on his skates so he doesn't get rocked by someone....

Not so sure about Sweatt - he's projected to be a 3rd line checking forward as his upside. Not sure if he can beat Hansen or Higgins on that line. Would love to see what he can do with his speed though at the camp.

If there is one positive about Schroeder - is he is built like a tank.

A little tank mind you; but he is very solid on his skates; and has very good top end speed.

His defensive game is really improving, thats great to see. I kinda but him on the backburner when I thought about our prospects but this guy has a ton of offensive upside.

His skating is really good, he's got excellent foot speed, accelerates really well, has great top speed and transitions well. Never seems to stop moving when there's an offensive situation building. And he does everything at top speed

One of the things I really noticed is his vision and hockey sense for a small player this is huge, you just see he has quick hands, can go through and around people, very evasive and he has good balance.

Is offensive ability can only be described by one word: Dynamic, he's a excellent passer/playmaker, with a bullet of a wrister and a deadly slap shot and one timer, his shot power is really something and he a great accuracy too, when he gets a good oppertunity can really finish, his hands are amazing. Seems like a game breaker to me.

I'm really excited to see this guy, I thought he's had good camps the past two years, and it seems like he will get an oppertunity to start the season in Kesler's role, I think the team wants that. Then if he plays well he can stay, if he needs more seasoning then he will be sent down.

I wouldn't be surprised if we make that descision before looking to acquire another center.

His defensive game is really improving, thats great to see. I kinda but him on the backburner when I thought about our prospects but this guy has a ton of offensive upside.

His skating is really good, he's got excellent foot speed, accelerates really well, has great top speed and transitions well. Never seems to stop moving when there's an offensive situation building. And he does everything at top speed

One of the things I really noticed is his vision and hockey sense for a small player this is huge, you just see he has quick hands, can go through and around people, very evasive and he has good balance.

Is offensive ability can only be described by one word: Dynamic, he's a excellent passer/playmaker, with a bullet of a wrister and a deadly slap shot and one timer, his shot power is really something and he a great accuracy too, when he gets a good oppertunity can really finish, his hands are amazing. Seems like a game breaker to me.

I'm really excited to see this guy, I thought he's had good camps the past two years, and it seems like he will get an oppertunity to start the season in Kesler's role, I think the team wants that. Then if he plays well he can stay, if he needs more seasoning then he will be sent down.

I wouldn't be surprised if we make that descision before looking to acquire another center.

Only thing I have to say is that Schroeder had teo good prospect camps but two sub-par main camps. Everything else I agree with.

Only thing I have to say is that Schroeder had teo good prospect camps but two sub-par main camps. Everything else I agree with.

I thought he wasn't bad in main camp, he wasn't NHL ready but I did think he stood out at times during the pre season games.

I'm really looking forward to seeing him this year, he's gunna be really fast.

Great post, agreed 100%. :)

And last pre-season he was good and stood out. In fact he showed better than Hodgson but Cody was slotted in as 2C to start the year instead

Great post, agreed 100%. :)

And last pre-season he was good and stood out. In fact he showed better than Hodgson but Cody was slotted in as 2C to start the year instead

Yeah I agree with that, I thought he did stick out more than Coho, I'm super excited to see him this year, he could surprise people

I'm glad there's more than handful of people optimistic about him here. On the main forum, he got ripped on.

I agree, the strength of his game is speed and he played best this season when he was with players who could also play at high speed, in transition, and could also read the game at that speed as well.

A few things i sort of disagree with here. His shot could be more accurate. If he had 183 shots on net, i would not be surprised if he also missed another 80. He has a tendency to always go for the top corners and as a result, a lot of them go high. I feel he'll have to realize that sometimes a shot on net is a higher percentage play than a shot over the net. But boy, when he hits it, its a beauty.

A game breaker is something I don't really see right now. There have been many games where his line has been without a doubt the best line for the Wolves, but i can't say there has been one particular game i watched where he and himself took over the game.

I agree, he showed really well last camp. I thought he played almost as good as Hodgson, but i think he really needed this past season in the AHL. It was definitely a step in the right direction.

I'm glad there's more than handful of people optimistic about him here. On the main forum, he got ripped on.

I agree, the strength of his game is speed and he played best this season when he was with players who could also play at high speed, in transition, and could also read the game at that speed as well.

A few things i sort of disagree with here. His shot could be more accurate. If he had 183 shots on net, i would not be surprised if he also missed another 80. He has a tendency to always go for the top corners and as a result, a lot of them go high. I feel he'll have to realize that sometimes a shot on net is a higher percentage play than a shot over the net. But boy, when he hits it, its a beauty.

A game breaker is something I don't really see right now. There have been many games where his line has been without a doubt the best line for the Wolves, but i can't say there has been one particular game i watched where he and himself took over the game.

I agree, he showed really well last camp. I thought he played almost as good as Hodgson, but i think he really needed this past season in the AHL. It was definitely a step in the right direction.

I see that game breaking ability, he's shown it so far. Maybe not alot yet at the AHL level but though university and then on world junior stage I really think he was one, he was relied on by the US as one of there top "go to guys". Not to mention that he is the all time leading scorer in US world junior history, I know WJ success doesnt always translate but that's a huge accomplishment.

I think his shot is really good, he may not always have the accuracy but I think his shot atleast, is game breaking. If he gets the chance in a big game to use that shot, he could making a big impact on the game, game "breaking".

And just watching the highlights he played well with guys like Rodin, and Sweat. He also had some bigs guys on his line that he wasn't bad with. So maybe put him with Kassian, then a faster player like Booth, Hansen maybe even Jensen in the pre-season.

Just to give it a try. I think he will have a good camp, hopefully he cracks the roster. He has a ton of skill.

Not surprised... the majority of them never educate themselves regarding who's on the farm and in the system. Ignorance is okay as long as you don't actually pretend to have any knowledge on the subject matter itself.

Not surprised... the majority of them never educate themselves regarding who's on the farm and in the system. Ignorance is okay as long as you don't actually pretend to have any knowledge on the subject matter itself.

seriously. did you see that guy trying to argue with me about sauve being "slow", and even tried to continue the fight after I showed his fastest skater results matching tambellini and barely slower than Schroeder, both of which people routinely refer to as fast.

anyways, back to Schroeder, he's been good and improving at a steady rate, but the problem i've had with him is consistency throughout the game. Most of the game you'd barely notice he was on the ice, but a couple shifts here and there he'd have an amazing shift, where he would just dominate. I'd like to see him do that the entire game, or at least more often. It's these shifts that you could think of as game breaking, especially as they usually happen near the end of the period.

seriously. did you see that guy trying to argue with me about sauve being "slow", and even tried to continue the fight after I showed his fastest skater results matching tambellini and barely slower than Schroeder, both of which people routinely refer to as fast.

anyways, back to Schroeder, he's been good and improving at a steady rate, but the problem i've had with him is consistency throughout the game. Most of the game you'd barely notice he was on the ice, but a couple shifts here and there he'd have an amazing shift, where he would just dominate. I'd like to see him do that the entire game, or at least more often. It's these shifts that you could think of as game breaking, especially as they usually happen near the end of the period.

Hahaha, I saw that argument. It's funny because he really is a great skater, and when he was 16 or so, he was being compared against Doughty and people thought they would be equal level players.. It's interesting how things turn out.

I agree with what you said about Schroeder, and I think he is just about NHL ready, he either needs a solid NHL mentor to play with or some more AHL time, but he'll get there. It'll be interesting to see how everything goes this fall - not counting a lock out of course (knock on wood).

Hahaha, I saw that argument. It's funny because he really is a great skater, and when he was 16 or so, he was being compared against Doughty and people thought they would be equal level players.. It's interesting how things turn out.

I agree with what you said about Schroeder, and I think he is just about NHL ready, he either needs a solid NHL mentor to play with or some more AHL time, but he'll get there. It'll be interesting to see how everything goes this fall - not counting a lock out of course (knock on wood).

Sauve could still match up to Doughty's shut down ability. Definitely not his offense though. Getting hit by a car really derailed his development. Still think he becomes a solid 4-6 shutdown guy.

I think if Schroeder makes the NHL next year or even just plays a few games during the regular season, it'll be huge for his development because he'll get to see the Sedins work ethic in person and that can be a huge thing for any youn players development. To see how much hard work "star" players put in. At least thats what I think.

Archived