The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

What are you saying...

Are you seriously trying to say that Kesler should be a third line centre and somehow he still gets 20 minutes a game?

What do you mean stop being sucked into the numbers attached to the line.... it's there for a reason. There's 60 minutes in a game. Explain to me how you give third line 20 minutes a game.

Or... do you just mean that Kesler should play 20 minutes a game, but we will just "call" it the third line? Ok. call it 4th line for all i care.

I'm saying that he WILL play 20min a game no matter what his role is five on five. The only reason he'd be considered a third line center is if he's playing a shut down role but he's still going to get the minutes. There's no reason to worry about him taking the third line if that turns out to be what AV decides. Schroeder could potentially take the offensive responsibilities five on five (and give us a good set up man on our second PP which we have been seriously lacking) but will still leave a huge amount of responsibility for Kesler to shoulder. Third line does not mean reduced minutes, especially if he's playing top PP and PK minutes.

What are you saying...

Are you seriously trying to say that Kesler should be a third line centre and somehow he still gets 20 minutes a game?

What do you mean stop being sucked into the numbers attached to the line.... it's there for a reason. There's 60 minutes in a game. Explain to me how you give third line 20 minutes a game.

Or... do you just mean that Kesler should play 20 minutes a game, but we will just "call" it the third line? Ok. call it 4th line for all i care.

Power play minutes, penalty killing minutes, double shifting.

The issue is the labelling of the lines. The 3rd line is both referred to as the "checking line" and the line that is 3rd in ice time. I think the poster was saying Kesler would play a checking role while given top 6 minutes. Kesler 5 on 5 is terrible offensively (on par with Lapierre and Malhotra last season, 25% worse than Raymond and Booth). I wouldn't mind seeing these lines when Kes is healthy:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Hansen Kesler Lapierre

Higgins Schroeder Booth

Raymond Malhotra Kassian

before Kesler comes back:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Hansen Lapierre Raymond

Higgins Schroeder Booth

Weise/Pin Malhotra Kassian

*** I don't like putting Kassian on the 4th line but it is hard to bump him up over the other top 9. Maybe send to the Wolves? ****

there is no way lappy and raymond are on the 2nd line to start the season.

You have to read a little bit more of the post than just the line up. He is saying that Kesler's line would be the shutdown line giving Schroeders a chance to be successful on offence like Hodgson was last year. I doubt that would happen as I think AV wants Kesler to be given the offensive starts and have another C ( Lapierre, Malhotra, FA) in a shutdown role.

I wouldn't mind seeing Hansen and Higgins on the 2nd with Kesler as a shut down line but has the ability to score some goals. Lapierre Schoeder Booth could be okay as a 3rd line but I don't see both Schroeder and Kesler in the line up at the same time.

I don't see why Schroeder can't take Hodgson's place on the third line. Hodgson wasn't very good defensively. He wasn't physical, he didn't have game breaking speed to put pressure on defenders, and he was slow on the back check. He was fairly good for a rookie, but he wasn't really anything to brag about. If people are going to use the angle that Schroeder doesn't have the size to be our third line centre, it is important to note then that neither did Hodgson. Granted he wasn't a "checking centre," but his biggest knock defensively was his lack of speed. If anything, Schroeder could be more physical player because he has great speed.

If Schroeder can win faceoffs and play hard on the forecheck and back check, he'd probably even see PK time. Having a 3rd line center who can't play on the PK is a huge team weakness. I think that given the sheltered minutes AV gave Hodgson last season, Schroeder would post similar numbers to Hodgson's, and that he would be able to earn more minutes on the PK.

Craig MacTavish labelled him as their most reliable player. He played big big minutes last year with Chicago. (20+ minutes / game)

I could see him being a good fit on the second line wing postion with Booth and Kesler. Schroeder tended to thrive with faster, big players. He also has good playmaking skills which should compliment them pefectly.

Craig MacTavish labelled him as their most reliable player. He played big big minutes last year with Chicago. (20+ minutes / game)

I could see him being a good fit on the second line wing postion with Booth and Kesler. Schroeder tended to thrive with faster, big players. He also has good playmaking skills which should compliment them pefectly.

Thing is Schroeder showed he struggled while playing on the wing....his primarily strength is that center pivot position where he was counted on to anchor that line as the center player. It was tried many times in Manitoba but Schroeder just didn't seem he could adjust to the position but when placed into the center position he thrived.

I dont quite remember, but didnt schroeder play wing for a bit in Minnesota and at the WJC? I remember Schroeder playing with Ryan Stoa for one year, and he put up crazy good numbers. And I think he played a lot of with Colin wilson and JVR.

Yeah - he played some wing in the WJHC

I'm saying that he WILL play 20min a game no matter what his role is five on five. The only reason he'd be considered a third line center is if he's playing a shut down role but he's still going to get the minutes. There's no reason to worry about him taking the third line if that turns out to be what AV decides. Schroeder could potentially take the offensive responsibilities five on five (and give us a good set up man on our second PP which we have been seriously lacking) but will still leave a huge amount of responsibility for Kesler to shoulder. Third line does not mean reduced minutes, especially if he's playing top PP and PK minutes.

Ok, name me a third line C who plays 20 minutes a game.

Jordan Staal

And yes, Schroeder played well with a skilled centermen in Hodgeon but Hodgson=/=Kesler. Kesler>Hodgson but Hodgson is more of a playmaker (not saying that Kesler can't do it as well as Hodgson, only that he doesn't with consistency).

I think that they could try Kesler at wing if Schroeder excels at center. Now please don't give me the "an allstar won't move for a rookie" crap. Kesler can play and excel at center... We just haven't had anyone else who is both offensively gifted and defensively doesn't need to be sheltered since Sundin. It could benefit Schroeder and maybe help keep Kesler a little bit fresher for the playoffs. This is only if Schroeder puts up Hodgson type numbers (or a bit less) and is defensively reliable.

"The 3rd line" is just a number - a label. It can have any role you want it to. When Welly was here, the 3rd line was more of an offensive unit, while Raymond-Kesler-Samuelsson anchored the shutdown duties at 5-on-5 as they're all good 2-way players.

You can do the same with JS this year and have him play in an offensive 3rd line role.

the only time Jordan showed any productivity on the wing was with Hodgson right before they both got injured. if Jordan had a skilled center man he may fair better on the wing than he has shown in the past.

That's something to keep in mind - thanks for that. It's been a while since that first full pro season of theirs and everyone was so hopped up on having both skilled C's playing on the farm and possibly even as linemates.

Then they both got hurt. Which sucked.

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely, he could play a Martin St. Louis type role, a playmaker doesn't have to be at center ice. That highlight package above, I was about to post and the kid looks terrific.

I actually hadn't seen much of him other than when he played in the World Juniors and all the hype. Then with him falling behind CoHo people seemed to forget about him as Kassian and Jensen and Connaughton starting getting all the attention.

But, in the interim, all this kid has done has been work work work on his game. Kesler, Burrows, Beiksa, all did a few years in the minors and look at them now.

What I like about him other than comments from MacT, is if you look at the highights, he looks to be a terrific all around player other than size, and at his has been mentioned pound for pound he is a very tough kid, hard to knock over, just small (again sounds like a Fleury/St Louis type player).

That highlight reel showed me a number of things.

1. He has terrific vision, sees the ice well

2. Great hands, can finish in tight spaces and one heck of a wrist shot

3. Plays hard on the backcheck and forecheck

4. Speed and mobility

5. Perhaps needs to go to the hard spots a bit more in the offensive zone when in the half court offense vs. off the rush but that will come

Only thing missing is size.

Put him with two big players who have speed and can finish and oh boy...maybe we got ourselves our second line center after all (the one we thought Coho would be), and clearly one that has more character given his effort, desire to get better, and non whineyness a la coho..

I am becoming a big fan of this kid and really hope he makes it. If he can turn out to be as good as Ronning even, we'll have a gem.

Jordan Staal

And yes, Schroeder played well with a skilled centermen in Hodgeon but Hodgson=/=Kesler. Kesler>Hodgson but Hodgson is more of a playmaker (not saying that Kesler can't do it as well as Hodgson, only that he doesn't with consistency).

I think that they could try Kesler at wing if Schroeder excels at center. Now please don't give me the "an allstar won't move for a rookie" crap. Kesler can play and excel at center... We just haven't had anyone else who is both offensively gifted and defensively doesn't need to be sheltered since Sundin. It could benefit Schroeder and maybe help keep Kesler a little bit fresher for the playoffs. This is only if Schroeder puts up Hodgson type numbers (or a bit less) and is defensively reliable.

You can have a playmaker on the wing. Kesler is better at center simply because of his defensive play and awareness, faceoff ability and size (ability to match better vs big centers). St Louis, Fleury, Gordie Howe were all wingers and great assist men. Jagr has the most assists in a season by a RW, so it doesn't really matter if Schroeder plays wing. Plus given his size, likely better vs. strong center men.

Kesler won the Selke, center is a very two way position, you have to play d and cannot cheat, wingers can. If you move Kes to the wing you weaken our team d and take away a selke winner from the correct spot.

I understand why people say this alot but I don;t think you have thought through all the implications. For centers the ice is crease to crease, and Kelser has shown he can be the BEST defensive center in the league at that, not many guys can say that, you're suggesting you move him from that position for a playmaker who is younger, inexperienced and certainly not even close to the defensive player Kes is? It just doesn't make sense.

Your comment is based on a very simple assumption that playmakers have to play center. Which if you look at my comments above is not correct. Further, you have ignored the impact on team d and the actual needs of a team from the center spot.

If Schroeder is capable of making the team this year, he is better suited as a number 3 center with strong d wingers (faces less tough lines), or on the wing on number 2.

Archived