The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

A couple of tweets I've seen posted late tonight...

QuickFacts

Expect Jordan Schroeder to be signing with Vancouver Canucks by this weekend only question will be whether sent to Moose or up with Canucks

farhandevji

Sent out some emails re: Schroeder's rumored decision to join the #Canucks. Won't hear anything at this hour, though. Hopefully tomorrow

We can only cross our fingers.

QuickFacts

Expect Jordan Schroeder to be signing with Vancouver Canucks by this weekend only question will be whether sent to Moose or up with Canucks

farhandevji

Sent out some emails re: Schroeder's rumored decision to join the #Canucks. Won't hear anything at this hour, though. Hopefully tomorrow

jumping-for-joy-6.jpg

Hopefully this happens, and happens very soon.

QuickFacts

er... :huh:

QuickFacts

farhandevji

I wonder if this is why Gillis didn`t acquire any third line players at the deadline...All of the Canucks scouts said at the beggining of the year that they thought Schroeder was basically NHL ready.

Could we see a third line of Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen? Not likely, but I gues we'll find out. I like the way Wellwood has been playing, and I dont know if a raw rookie would be an upgrade over him...

I'm definetly excited about the idea of him turning pro though. biggrin.gif

Somebody to play with Grabner for the stretch run? One a sniper, the other a playmaker with great vision, both excellent skaters...could be magic.

If that happens, I'll be watching a lot more Moose games. Throw Shirokov on that line for the PP and that's amazing.

I wonder if this is why Gillis didn`t acquire any third line players at the deadline...All of the Canucks scouts said at the beggining of the year that they thought Schroeder was basically NHL ready.

Could we see a third line of Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen? Not likely, but I gues we'll find out. I like the way Wellwood has been playing, and I dont know if a raw rookie would be an upgrade over him...

I'm definetly excited about the idea of him turning pro though. biggrin.gif

I'd be shocked if Schroeder was called up to the Canucks.

Winnipeg bound and I hope they can get Hodgson there too.

Yeah, I just don't see him being called up this season unless we start loose 5 in a row or something, or if there are a bunch of injuries. Even then, i think we see Grabner back up before Schroeder this season. if he goes more than 9 games then there goes a year off his rookie contract (playoffs included).

Yeah, I just don't see him being called up this season unless we start loose 5 in a row or something, or if there are a bunch of injuries. Even then, i think we see Grabner back up before Schroeder this season. if he goes more than 9 games then there goes a year off his rookie contract (playoffs included).

Agreed, it would be a waste of a contract year.

Another interesting article, from a Minnesota standpoint. It is in reaction to the Vancouver Sun article posted earlier.

Vancouver paper: Schroeder to decide on staying or going this week

Posted by Roman Augustoviz

Last update: March 16, 2010 - 2:04 AM

Hard to blame Gophers center Jordan Schroeder if he wants to leave. He had a tough season, Minnesota had a tough season.

And his decision could come in a few days. He told a reporter from the Vanouver Sun he will decide on whether he turns pro or stays another season at Minnesota by the end of the week.

It's spring break and Schroeder has plenty of time on his hands. No hockey anymore. The FInal Five is this week, but the Gophers are out of it.

"I am going to hang out with these guys for a little bit here," Schroeder said, referring to his teammates when asked about his future after Sunday's season-ending 4-1 loss to North Dakota. "Enjoy the time with them and then we will go from there."

Maybe go pretty far.

Can he move leave his disappointment over the Gophers being spectators at the X out of his decision. I hope so, for his sake. It's very easy to fall into the trap that it's better somewhere else.

But if you sign and find yourself not with the Canucks but with their affiliate, the Manitoba Moose, will that be better for your career?

He said in the Sun story he was disappointed with his drop in point production from 13 goals and 32 assists for 45 points in 35 games as a freshman to 9 goals and 19 points for 28 points in 37 games as a sophomore.

Schroeder said the Canucks want to sign him.

Among the key questions to ponder, if I were his adviser, would be these:

* How good a deal are they offering? How much money or is the amount all slotted out for first rounders? How much of a chance is there to play in the NHL this season or next?

* Is playing for Moose better than playing for U? Working on a college degree? The Moose, a team based in Winnipeg, is made up mostly of Canadians? Do you speak Canadian, eh? The Moose's regular-season ends in mid-April and then there are playoffs. Don't they go on endlessly? Don't you need a long break from hockey after World Juniors and this darn season?

You will be the smallest forward on the Moose, too, at 5-9? Here Jacob Cepis, your linemate who is 5-8 can look up to you. And we all know he is only 5-7.

* Do you want to leave a stuggling program, or do you want to come back and lead the Gophers back to glory in the Final Five and NCAA tournament? Maybe to a banner or two as team captain perhaps? That chance won't come along again.

The Moose are fourth in the North Division of the Western Conference of the AHL. Right behind them in fifth is the Lake Erie Monsters, Ryan Stoa's team. Call Ryan, your linemate last season, and see what he says about the AHL.

And one other small piece of advice Jordan. You're a smart kid. You accelerated to get the U a year early. If you do decide to come back, make sure of your decision. You can't have any regrets or doubts.

You will be counted on to be a team leader again, and you need to be all in. This team will have a lot of new faces and the job of turning the Gophers' ship around won't be easy.

Good luck Jordan whatever you choose to do.

Source.

Couple more tweets from Farhan Devji today...

farhandevji

I can confirm with the utmost certainty that Jordan Schroeder has indeed decided to turn pro.

farhandevji

I'm hearing that Schroeder's agent is in the process of negotiating a contract with the #Canucks. I assume he'll go straight to the Moose.

Not sure what there is to negotiate. Give him the rookie max for 3 years. Done deal.

Is it only me that thinks Arniel is a terrible coach?

Yeah, but it's okay because you haven't got the slightest idea of what a good coach looks like.

2008-2009 MANITOBA MOOSE 1st in the West with 107pts, best GAA in the league and a Calder Cup Final appearance

2007-2008 MANITOBA MOOSE 4th in the West (1pt behind 3rd) with 99pts, 3rd in the league GAA and a disappointing 1st round exit.

2006-2007 MANITOBA MOOSE 2nd in the West with 102pts, tied for 3rd in the league GAA and a 2nd round game 7 exit.

308pts in 3 years, 102pts average, with top 3 GAA and a Calder Cup final appearance. It's pretty safe to assume it's just you.

Another interesting article, from a Minnesota standpoint. It is in reaction to the Vancouver Sun article posted earlier.

Source.

So the Moose, only just now deeper offensively with Stastny & Olvecky, are barely better than Lake Eerie and their NHL stripped roster? Is that his point? Isn't being 5'9" and the smallest player on your team better than being 5'9" and taller than your linemate?

And lastly, his shot at Canadiana (not a spelling error), this:

"They're crazy about hockey up there and that's what I love about Canadians and being part of the Vancouver organization."

If the Canucks have their way, Schroeder will have to be immersing himself in Canadian culture sooner than later.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Fateful+weekend+action+draft+pick+Schroeder/2681692/story.html

Archived