The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick McNally | D

b3.

249 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I agree tbh I wasn't very fond of the picking of McNally in the first place. By now if the Canucks really cared a whole lot for McNally's development as a player you would think they would have pressured at least the Chicago Wolves or The Kalamazoo Wings to sign him to a ATO conract. But this has gone on for a while also makes me think that the Canuck brass are starting to see the reason why the other 29 teams passed him because he was overly commited to Harvard University.

Or, they're waiting to see what happens with any possible appeals and whether or not McNally wants to look at another college/university program if that fails. They'll have a better idea of what his situation is after the holidays and expect to see some movement at that point.

@D-Money: I think the ideal time for him to play at Harvard would be two years. Two years to work out and bulk up and get ready physically for the pros, though it'll still be quite a jump. Schroeder, I think, had to go through the same adjustment.

I thought if he withdrew and waited out a year he could come back to Harvard after that? Isn't that in the rules? Which is why I wondered if he valued his degree enough to be willing to wait out a year... which would be bad for his development.

if Harvard chooses to expel him (decision is still pending), he's not going to be allowed back.

Despite this unfortunate development, i think he'll be fine. Glass half full approach.

I recently was able to rip some video from some Harvard games from last season and put together a highlight video. There's still a good package in McNally, still a project, needs to work out some kinks defensively. If he goes directly to the AHL, expect a big adjustment on the defensive side at least.

Lots of examples of his strong skating there (he's better than Connauton in that regard although Connauton has a better shot) and that will be his strength for sure. He does work on defence but seems to chase a bit too much rather than stay in the lower part of the zone, so he'll have to work on tightening that up or get burned at higher levels.

I agree tbh I wasn't very fond of the picking of McNally in the first place. By now if the Canucks really cared a whole lot for McNally's development as a player you would think they would have pressured at least the Chicago Wolves or The Kalamazoo Wings to sign him to a ATO conract. But this has gone on for a while also makes me think that the Canuck brass are starting to see the reason why the other 29 teams passed him because he was overly commited to Harvard University.

I don't think the Canucks lost interest at all. Certainly not because of this cheating incident. Nearly everyone in college/university cheats. Its how it works. Most people don't get caught. He did. It's not honorable but what he did isn't so bad everyone should forget about him because of his "lack of character". He's still a decent prospect and McNally and the Canucks are waiting what the final decision from Harvard is. In most cases the player is able to be re-instated after a year (If McNally wishes to continue his education and play college hockey). If this ruling goes south I can definitely see him signing a pro contract somewhere.

I did read an article where McNally was saying he was thinking about going pro after his 2nd year, so it's an option to him right now and on his mind.

Nothing at all wrong with the 28 points he put up (as a rookie defenceman) in college compared to Schultz. Schultz scored 22 points as a rookie at Wisconsin.

oh I know I see it both ways. like this kid isn't putting up schultz numbers and he may try and take more of a career path now, but like you said it was a take home test and its not like he did something inhumane... I was just analyzing the situation and presenting the idea that the canucks may have lost interest in Patrick.

think the canucks are even interested in him after this stunt. we all know how much leadership is valued in this organization. cheating doesn't usually pan out to make the greatest leaders.

They traded for Kassian who has been taken into police custody for fighting at bars. I don't think they mind if someone cheated on a test.

They traded for Kassian who has been taken into police custody for fighting at bars. I don't think they mind if someone cheated on a test.

Yea, cause 19 and 20 year old kids never make mistakes.

I don't think they're going to avoid players cause they made a mistake in their life. As long as it's not a pattern, they realize that they're human.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.westernco...rding-to-report

sounds like he'd be eligible to go back to harvard next year, so that would probably be what happens

Would ruin his development if he missed a full season now though. It all depends on what his priorities are. Hopefully he was just waiting for the lockout to end so the Canucks could sign him right away and Throw Him To The Wolves.

Would ruin his development if he missed a full season now though. It all depends on what his priorities are. Hopefully he was just waiting for the lockout to end so the Canucks could sign him right away and Throw Him To The Wolves.

While I agree it wouldn't be ideal to miss a season, his defense isn't good enough to play pro right now

Archived