The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder will make team before Cody Hodgson

Tambo

I actually forgot he played in the AHL playoffs....he was also scratched a few times because of that back, iirc.

Jo-Schro has more games including playoffs under his belt.....he is most certainly more prepared, even if he is smaller.

CoHo's absolute weakness is his skating...and it is vital that he gets that looked after.

Otherwise...he will have a damn hard time when he encounters a Pronger elbow to the noggin.....or a Nik Kronwall bearing down on him.

It would be the ideal if they both made the team from training camp.......but it's all pure speculation (isn't that what we do do on these forums?).Realistically,one of them will....having good wheels is always a fast track to the NHL,and Schroeders got them.He also has a stocky build(unlike Mason Raymond) and had no problems last year in the AHL..where he was almost a point a game.

As far as Hodgson goes.....I honestly have no idea..I dont think anybody knows...I saw him playing some Canuck exhibition games last year,he was'nt even close.With all of his outstanding credentials,you'd have to think were going to see a new Cody come training camp.

Hodgson played in the ahl playoffs too, his skating was perfectly fine in his first training camp here and if he's fully healed as a poster proved from a recent article then his skating should be absolutely fine.

btw, slow skating does not give him a higher chance to get a Pronger elbow to the head, having his head down however would do that. Plus Pronger will only be playing us one or two times next year so that's the least of his worries.

I honestly think both are ready to show that they can make this team and hope that they both do. If only one makes it that's fine as long as it's not tanner glass who beats them out cause he only ever showed up in training camp and was a no-show for the rest of the year.

CoHo will be the better more complete player eventually. Total package (i.e. Yzerman/Linden/Sakic - Hopefully?!)

Schroder may have a tremendeous skill set right now and be very fast but I am not sure how many of you think he is ready now more so than CoHo. He is a year younger than CoHo too right?

But you never know. Just like Kane 3 years ago. Who knew he would be so good. Give him a chance an lets find out..............

theres no reason that both of them cant make it to start the year, as it looks like burrows might be out untill late november or early december. if hodgson cant make it for what ever reason, there are other options, including the kid who made the team last year to start the year then was demoted to the moose ( shiro )

I like the enthusiasm about Schroeder (OP and others) but I think it's just crazy to say that you can be sure that Schroeder will make the team and Hodgson isn't "NHL ready" just as it is also nuts to say that Hodgson is a "100% sure thing" to grab the third line centre spot ahead of Schroeder.

It's just too early to tell. Both players have a good chance of making the final roster. Their performances at the camps and during the pre-season will determine whether one makes it over the other (or both make it, or neither make it).

Anyway, in honour of the craziness that we all suffer from in anticipating the season and hyping the prospects:

"You're crazy! I like you... but you're crazy!"

When Mike Gillis was talking to the media about asking Manny Malhotra if he'd consider playing wing with a young centre, what a lot of you seem to assume is that he's talking about Cody Hodgson, ...and so Cody's penciled in on the 3rd line on all your little 'potential line-up' threads and sigs. But look at the facts, people. Cody Hodgson, who I absolutely love btw, is not NHL ready right now. Sorry, but he just isn't. Unless he has a STELLAR training camp, and shows that him and his back can not only produce offensively and defensively at the NHL level, (which is what you're all asking him to do as the 3rd line Centre), but he also has to be able to show he can skate with NHL pros, as well as handle NHL defensemen laying casual beatdowns on the small of his back. If he does that throughout the preseason, then he'll make the team. But that's a big 'if' with Hodgson right now, 'cause we just don't know. 'Cause last year's camp really showed that he doesn't have NHL wheels yet, and that if his back is going to slow him down even more, he becomes completely ineffective. Not only that, he hasn't really even shown much at the AHL level yet either, so I think he's going to have to prove himself with the Moose to start out.

Which brings me to Jordan Schroeder. This kid is the epitome of what the new NHL is all about. Speed kills. He not only has the skill-set to play at the NHL level, he's got a great winning/leadership petigree from his USA WJ performances(top goal scorer all-time), and he's shown that the AHL was a relatively easy learning process for him. He was dangerous whenever he touched the puck as a member of the Moose, he showed he could score, and be a smart, quick and darty centre-man who could find his linemates, and all at a high speed. He came in and got 9 points in the last 11 Moose games and then got 6 in 6 in the Playoffs. He got his feet wet playing against pros, and his speed killed at times, and that's what can transfer to the NHL in a hurry). Just watch, Schroeder is going to surprise a lot of you by taking that 3rd line centre job, and lemme tell ya, Mike Gillis knows it too.

I think the reality is this, in the CAP era NHL you have to push younger, cheaper players into the NHL. They could fill those spots with a Mike Sillinger type player, collecting a pay cheque etc... but why not use the same cap dollar and have your youth POTENTIALLY break out and maybe be the next "insert overachieving rookies name here".

I think we may see them both but Cody is 1.6 in cap hit and that may be his downfall this year.

I love how you're perfectly willing to say Hodgson isn't ready based on LAST year's camp... and the injury. Did it ever occur to you that he performed so poorly at last year's camp BECAUSE of the injury?

This guy was among the last cut two seasons ago, and remember was called up to play with the Moose during the playoffs, where he was a good contributor and showed he could elevate his game.

What I expect to see at this camp is THAT Cody Hodgson, only more mature, more conditioned, and thus more NHL-ready.

I'm all for Jordan Shroeder making it. I think he probably will. But I'm pretty sure Hodgson will make it at least a few seconds before Hodgson, because his name comes first alphabetically and thus would be called before Shroeder's.

Your opinion is weak , I guarantee that Hodgson will play center in the NHL before Shroeder ever does and there is know way Maholtra was signed to play the wing when he is one of the better defensive and faceoff center men in the league while both Hodgson and Shroeder size makes it perty hard for either them to be effective centers until they beef up and in Shroeders case maybe never oh and lets not forget previous to last season Hodgson played for the moose in there run to the AHL finals

Yes, actually it DID occur to me that he performed poorly at last year's camp BECAUSE of the injury. That was my point!! I'm not saying that Hodgson isn't going to make the team based on last year's camp...he's not going to make it THIS YEAR if he doesn't improve by showing he AND HIS INJURED BACK can play at the NHL level. His only question mark, EVER, was his skating, and if that was a problem BEFORE the injury, Hodgson is going to have to show a DRAMATIC improvement,...by showing that he's become a MUCH better skater, and that his back is trouble free and is ready for the rigors of NHL quality opposition (ie: a Chara-esque cross check to the back).

Like I said in my original post, I LOVE Hodgson..he's an absolutely brilliant talent. But unless he can show that he's able to literally 'skate' with the big boys, his talents are never going to be showcased 'cause he's gonna be one step behind everyone else, chasing the puck. Hodgson wasn't NHL ready two years ago, and then last year he hurts his back, which last time I checked isn't all that good when your glaring detrament is your skating. So, he would have to come back as a completely new player...and I ain't a doctor, but I think it's safe to say it would be pretty hard for ANYONE to all of a sudden become an NHL calibre skater after rehabbing a nagging back injury for over a year, which you injured at a time when you weren't regarded as a good skater in the first place.

Look, I would love to see both of them make it, and yes Cody has the hands and the smarts to do it....but he hasn't shown nearly enough to warrant a "He's too skilled NOT to be on the team" statement (only 6P in 12 AHL Playoff games..and had only 10 in 11 games in the OHL, a league he should supposedly be dominating at this point in his career). I ain't "expecting" that Cody Hodgson is NHL ready just 'cause he's "more mature" and "more conditioned",...but I AM saying that Schroeder IS NHL ready because he's better conditioned for it right now. But hey,..best of luck to both of them.. They're both gems.

im gunna go out on a limb and say both of them make the team with schroeder making the bigger impact because he is in fact the better player rated to go 5th while hodgson was ranked 9th in their respective draft years. though i find cody hodgson more enjoyable to watch being so calm and smooth with the puck while schroeder tends to be more quick and elusive with the puck getting the majority of his points from sneaking in and banging in the puck from a pass or rebound. one thing they have in common is their playmaking ability and great shot

note: hodgson gets the slight edge as hes training with nhl calibre players such as steven stamkos this offseason which is why he will not be attending prospects camp

You make it sound like he was Derek Boogaard out there, when in reality, in 2008's camp, Canucks management commented on how well his skating had improved with Dave Gagner in the weeks leading up to training camp. It wasn't a "glaring detriment," as you (sort of) put it.

If the recently published comments regarding his health are at all true, and his back isn't bothering him anymore, then his skating should be at NHL caliber at this point.

Besides, unless Shroeder can crack the top 6, he's far less likely to make the team... Gillis has said he wanted more size on his 3rd line, and that's something Shroeder doesn't have. With Burrows potentially out at the start of the season, there's room for Shroeder to make it, at least at the start of the season, but he's certainly not going to make the 3rd line over Cody Hodgson.

All that said, it'd probably be smarter to wait and see what the coaches have to say at training camp, rather than gleaning what we can from box scores and youtube videos and then pretending to be hockey experts :P

Archived