The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report(s)] Zach Parise Discussion thread

Like that one guy said, LA would likely be the front runner for this, IF it were to happen

Knowing Gillis(sorta), unless it's a no brainer, personally I don't see him trading our biggest assets, depth, for someone that MAY return for the playoffs. What happens when he gets setbacks?

Parise is my wet dream though, don't get me wrong. The guy's young, 26 I think, 40 goal scorer, speed to burn

I just don't see it

a ) because it's cdc and even if it doesn't make sense it's fun to discuss.

b ) it Does make sense for NJ if he really doesn't want to re-sign there because they need a goalie and some youth, both things we have to offer.

c ) did I mention deadline day is fun because of all the random discussions?

edit:

d ) yes I get your point for being realistic but I don't think it is THAT unrealistic to talk about Parise.

Raymond put up exactly 25 goals ONCE playing on a line with Ryan Kesler for nearly all 82 games, that hardly makes him a "25 goal scorer". All it does is raise his trade value. He's put up horrific playoff stats and goes through long stretches of being invisible. The 'high pick' is definitely not going to even be a top-20 pick..

For one 40 goal scorer, who put up 38 goals under Jaques Lemaire and 45 under Brent Sutter who also owns one of the best 2-way games in the entire league.

Add the fact that we also need to clear cap space and there's going to be a huge bidding war on Parise, who is an upcoming RFA, it's only a slight overpayment.

These are all assets we can afford to give up. Schneider is not going to be able to take the reigns from Luongo, Raymond needs to be moved to make room for Parise, Schroeder will have a very hard time climbing the offensive ladder which will consist of: Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Parise, Kesler, Hodgson, Samuelsson, Sweatt and even Shirokov has proven more than him. There's no way Jordan would excel with 4th line minutes.

Parise helps in so many ways and I can't believe how much some people underrate him. A 35-45 goal scorer while never having an 'elite' center, with huge defensive abilities, speed and leadership intangibles.

Parise has scored 31, 32, 45 and 38 goals. His past two seasons he's put up 94 and 82 points - one of those under Jacques Lemaire. He's also always been known for his two-away abilities.

When Kesler signed his contract he was coming off a 26 goal season and near the end of a 25 goal season. His career high the year before his contract was 59 points (albeit he was already passing that number when he signed). He was surrounded by talent - Sedin, Sedin, Sundin, Burrows, Demitra and arguably Samuelsson.

There's no effing way Parise signs a contract for 5 million. On a contender, like the Canucks he might sign for a Sedin-esque contract at the least - possibly at a lower cap hit if the length is Luongo-esque.

You've got to be patient with young players. We wouldn't have Kesler and the Sedins if our GM kept trading young players as soon as they hit a slump or didn't meet the expected production. We keep trading young players, what will happen once the Sedins retire? Go into rebuilding mode like the Oilers? We already have traded Grabner, one of our top blue chip prospect who is turning heads in NYI.

You've got to be patient with young players. We wouldn't have Kesler and the Sedins if our GM kept trading young players as soon as they hit a slump or didn't meet the expected production. We keep trading young players, what will happen once the Sedins retire? Go into rebuilding mode like the Oilers? We already have traded Grabner, one of our top blue chip prospect who is turning heads in NYI.

Wow, didn't know that Parise was a RFA at years end, not a UFA.

Fitting Parise in would be iffy at best at year's end, but even if we couldn't, you could probably trade him for a solid prospect + 1st.

Schneider + Raymond + 1st makes the most sense. Throw Hodgson in and this deal would be done in a heartbeat.

Um I`m sorry, but how is Parise not worth more then Kesler. Look I love Kesler, but Parise has posted 30+ goals in 4 straight seasons and is not a defensive liability either. The fact that he is still relatively young, can out up great numbers on a defensive minded team, he`s worth more then Kesler.

Easy.

1) Kesler is a center. Its a significantly more important position than the wing. Look at the last few teams to win it all. They were loaded at center.

2) Kesler is arguably the premier 2 way forward in the sport. While Parise is an offensive beast, he is rarely mentioned amongst the best two way players in the game (0 Selke nominations) and because...

3) Kesler is a premier face-off man and penalty killer and Parise is not, Zach shouldn't be mentioned in the same level of importance to a club's success as Kesler.

You can win without great wingers. It's unlikely you'll be the last standing without great centermen.

True, but again when a winger is an offensive beast and is only 26, is a decent two way player, and has become a offensive beast on a defensive minded team he is worth more then a very good 2 way center, but has never been a point per game player now has he ever cracked the 30 goal mark (until this year). I understand that Kesler is very important, but Parise is closer to a franchise player then Kesler is. (not saying Parise is though). You don`t pay a guy who gets an average of 35+ goals a year, and is a point per game player and who is definitely not a liability in his own zone 5 mil. Thats a 6 mil dollar player

Parise is definitely a 6,000,000 dollar player.

Kesler would be asking for that much too had his contract negotations begun this year, but in March of last year he wasn't as proven as Parise is now.

Current Kesler vs. Current Parise could be debated all day though.

Don't trade Schneider. Not this year. If Luongo goes down with an injury, our playoff hopes are done with whatever crappy backup we can afford. At least if Luongo gets injured, we have a legitimate shot at still making it. Also that's way too much for a rental. I wouldn't give up 3-4 blue chippers for a rental, thats how teams destroy themselves. However if Parise signed with us for 3-4 years, I would be all for a trade that sent blue chippers the other way.

Parise is definitely a 6,000,000 dollar player.

Kesler would be asking for that much too had his contract negotations begun this year, but in March of last year he wasn't as proven as Parise is now.

Current Kesler vs. Current Parise could be debated all day though.

Archived