The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report(s)] Zach Parise Discussion thread

I love Parise ... got him in my hockey pool pretty early(lets just say its not going well ... took sidney crosby too)

But it just depends on who gives NJ the most ...

NJ messed up horribly when they signed Kovalchuk ... Terrible and what a shame so not like the NJ i know.

Zach Parise could be the best american born hockey play (offensively) in the game .. with With Keslers shooting on the rise that could be a LETHAL one two punch.

Its a long shot but i think the nucks should go for it

Luongo for Parise +? ? Cory has shown his potential this season. Although i would be sad to see lou leave it wouldnt effect the team and results one iota. It would free up even more cap space making it possible to resign parise and possibly both erhoff and bieksa with the extra lolly we already have for next season

oh...and the devils would rip our arm off

Luongo for Parise +? ? Cory has shown his potential this season. Although i would be sad to see lou leave it wouldnt effect the team and results one iota. It would free up even more cap space making it possible to resign parise and possibly both erhoff and bieksa with the extra lolly we already have for next season

oh...and the devils would rip our arm off

Well, my friend, the ownership sands continue to swirl around the NHL as we move into the post-All-Star portion of the schedule. There was Tuesday's news that Jeff Vanderbeek's partners in New Jersey want out. Guess they didn't like what they had seen from the Ilya Kovalchuk fiasco? A little ironic, given that the Devils continue to be the NHL's hottest team, beating Ottawa 2-1 on Tuesday night to go to 7-2-1 in their past 10 games. Can't imagine owners will be lining up to get a piece of a Devils team that faces many problems, the least of which is how to convince soon-to-be restricted free agent Zach Parise to re-sign with the Devils.

If you throw enough darts eventually you'll hit the board.

The rumour is Schneider, Raymond, and someone else. I think the "someone else" is a defenceman since NJ badly needs one, but I don't see them being satisfied with Alberts/Rome.

Schneider and our 1st round are probably for sure part of the deal.

Bieksa no longer need to be moved so he is a maybe.

Hard choice between Raymond and Hodgson. Raymond is in a slum but I seen what he is capable of. And he is playing some solid defense. Hodgson playing pretty well but that is only 3 games.

I'm pretty excited with the thought of adding someone as talented as Parise. He is a natural sniper who will only get better. I think Kesler and Parise would be an excellent 1-2 punch on the second line, and they probably already have chemistry through their Team US games. It's a shame to give up young talent like Cory and Mason, but the return would be monster in Parise. This trade makes sense for the Devil's as well, as they would acquire their goalie of the future and a scoring (streaky) winger in return. It doesn't sound like Parise is going to re-sign with the Devils, so they need to move him. The Nucks might also have to give up another pick or prospect, but as long as that doesn't include Cody, then I'm happy. This deal makes sense for both teams. I've been 100% behind MG so far, and I'm sure he's phoning around to see who is available.

Ah, it's good to be a Canucks fan right now:

- First place in the NHL.

- Daniel leading the NHL in points.

- Louie is the hottest goalie in the game.

- Hank leading the league in assists.

- Kesler is breakout star of the year.

- Salo coming back (once again from an injury)

- Cody finally gets called up and gets 2 points in 3 games.

- And no Canuck is getting a big head about their success so far. Only one goal this year!

Something (bad) will happen; it always does

By Ed Willes, The Province February 5, 2011 7:01 PM

Christian Ehrhoff and Roberto Luongo celebrate after yet another victory -- Friday night's 4-3 decision over the Chicago Blackhawks at Rogers Arena.

Christian Ehrhoff and Roberto Luongo celebrate after yet another victory -- Friday night's 4-3 decision over the Chicago Blackhawks at Rogers Arena.

Photograph by: Rich Lam, Getty Images

This is starting to get a little eerie.

Following their 4-3 win over the Chicago Blackhawks on Friday night, the Vancouver Canucks owned the best record in the NHL, had scored more goals than any other team and were tied for third in goals against.

Individually, they had the league's leading scorer in Daniel Sedin and the fourth-leading scorer in Henrik Sedin. Ryan Kesler stood third in goals. Roberto Luongo was tied for first in wins and fourth in save percentage among goalies. And the team had three players among the top-10 in plus-minus.

So, to find anything wrong with this Canucks' season, is difficult. To find anything wrong, in fact, you have to be the sort of person who doesn't like sunny days because of the glare on the windshield. But you also know there's a secret fear which secretly grips the hearts of all Canucks' fans these days; a fear which may seem illogical to an outsider but one which is very real to the faithful.

It's this. Things are going too well for the Canucks and it can't continue because, well, it never does for this team. Something will happen. It always does. You just wait.

And if you're remotely familiar with the history of this franchise you can understand why that feeling exists.

This season, after all, has played out like one extended dream sequence for Canucks' fans and there's a fear they'll wake up. Who, for example, could have envisioned Kesler emerging as a 50-goal threat this season or Cory Schneider stepping in and putting up numbers almost identical to Luongo's .

But there's so much more to this run the Canucks have enjoyed. If their best defenceman suffers a serious back injury in any other season, it's cataclysmic. This year it's like a winning lottery ticket.

Alex Edler goes down and it creates the cap space needed to get Sami Salo in the lineup.

Salo, who'd been talking about retiring a couple of weeks before, goes to Manitoba and scores two goals in his first game. Now it looks like he'll play with the Canucks next week which should give him time to get match-fit. Edler, meanwhile, is due back in April which means the Canucks could be looking at a playoff blueline where Salo and Keith Ballard are their fifth and sixth guys.

You consider all that, then you hear about that crazy trade rumour for Zach Parise and you think, maybe it's possible.

I mean, for the faithful, it's all been a little unsettling. Over the years, Canucks' fans – like the French army and Charlie Sheen's wives - have been preconditioned to accept disappointment as the natural order of things.

This year? They bring up Lee Sweatt from the minors and he scores the game-winning goal in his first-ever NHL game. They find this kid Chris Tanev who was playing Tier II two seasons ago and he plays like a 10-year vet. Cody Hodgson finally appears and he looks like he might be the answer as their fourth-line centre. Unless they get Parise.

And there's still more. This might not mean much to the guy in section 310 but the Canucks' locker room, which used to be a guarded, uninviting place, is now populated by some very quotable folks. Kevin Bieksa, Jeff Tambellini, Tanner Glass, Keith Ballard, Manny Malhotra and Schneider are all bright, funny and insightful. They're good guys. This season has even been a win for the media.

On Saturday, for example, head coach Alain Vigneault told a story about the Canucks' first goal on Friday night where Kesler was coming on the ice for Hodgson just as Christian Ehrhoff was scoring the Canucks' first goal. Kesler then jumped back on the bench so Hodgson could record a plus.

This was a game, we'd remind you, in which the Canucks beat their tormentors with a comeback in the final 10 minutes and with a goalie who has his own history with the Blackhawks.

Gold Jerry. It's gold.

Vigneault was asked if he's aware of the excitement his team has created among its followers.

“I wouldn't be honest if I said we didn't hear the buzz,” he said. “That being said, I don't think it's having an effect on anyone in our room.”

Maybe so.. But, outside that room, you know it's a different story.

© Copyright © The Province

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Something+will+happen+always+does/4231627/story.html#ixzz1D9naHvDN

A couple of points. First, if the Devils keep winning, Parise is probably going to want to stick around. They're suddenly a great hockey team again. What do you know. Rolleyes. Second, if Parise is even remotely down with re-signing in NJ it will get done, no matter the price. The Devils can afford it. They're going to offer him the captaincy and whatever it takes to get him to put pen to paper on a long term deal. The ownership situation is going to make it a little trickier, but I still think they'll waive the likes of Dainius Zubrus before they lose Parise.

Imagine if we can fetch Parise without Raymond involved..that'd be epic.

A lot of rumors regarding Parise and Weber as their both around the same age and RFA's.

If you were MG, who would you go after? I'd most definitely go after Parise.

Devils may be 7-1-1 in their last nine, but only 7,218 fans were at the Prudential Centre on Tuesday night. Club is now 27th in NHL attendance and part of the ownership group wants out. Will be interesting to see what this means to the future of restricted free agent Zach Parise.

Archived