The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report(s)] Zach Parise Discussion thread

He probably WON'T be traded by the end of the season.

Saying that, there could be a lot more to these rumours than us as fans know about. If Parise is absolutely not going to sign, I don't think it would be stupid for the Devils to acquire some players to help them get into the playoffs, and even potentially do some damage.

Raymond would add some secondary scoring, plus he has another year on his contract, then becomes a RFA.

Bieksa would be pretty much a top 2 defenseman over there, Ehrhoff also.

Schneider could relieve Brodeur in the playoffs, and also help their future.

Then throw Schroeder + 2nd round pick 2012 in for the sake of their future.

Add a mid-range prospect to seal the deal.

Raymond, Bieksa, Schneider, Schroeder, 2nd 2012, Oberg for Parise & Hedberg

All these players help them in the future as well as know, except for Bieksa.

Saying all of this, they are still very very far away from being in a playoff position. So likely that Parise negotiations start once he gets back and during the off-season he'll be traded if he doesn't want to stick around.

The thing is you have to consider all the risks. The timing just isn't right. First of all, Parise hasn't played a healthy game this year and we all saw what happened to Markov when he came back too soon after reconstructive knee surgery. I seriously doubt Parise's agent, let alone Parise himself, would risk a decade of multi-million dollar earnings just to play this year. If/when he comes back at the end of this season, I bet he eases his way in as a spring board for next year. Even if he does come back by mid March, it's hard to fathom him being at the same elite level as other playoff bound skaters after missing almost the entire season.

Secondly, I doubt Gillis thinks gambling our playoff chances on his health is a smart move for this season especially when you factor in the Edler injury. An injured integral top-six forward and an injured integral top-two dman? It just seems like too much of a risk and would be a serious disservice to players who have worked their asses off so far this year if it fell apart (this roster deserves a chance to prove that they can carry this year's regular season success into and throughout the playoffs).

Thirdly, I don't think Gillis is willing to bet the house on Luongo in a 7-game series vs Chicago and that's what he would be doing if he traded Schneider before the deadline. Schneider is just an unbelievable security blanket to have so we can test out the new and improved "Rollie Melanson" Luongo model.

Now, if we fail to succeed in the playoffs (I gotta believe anything short of a finals appearance would be considered an utter failure - barring major injuries of course) then I can see this goin' down. At that point I'm fairly certain the question marks surrounding Luongo's big game mental fortitude will have been alleviated and Gillis will be in a better position to move our insurance policy (Corey Schneider). We might also see a coaching change to keep the core from feeling the message is stale and considering a guy like Lindy Ruff is without a contract next season, at his own choice I might add, this isn't exactly a bad thing.

If we succeed, well, awesome! That would mean we're Cup champions and there's less pressure to make huge changes. I'm basically saying I don't see Parise goin' anywhere until the draft when his value will be highest (he's injured for this year's deadline and he'll be a pending unrestricted free agent at next year's deadline) and since that's the case we'll just have to sit back and wait (dream).

So, you think adding an elite linemate to Kesler's line wouldn't help the team? A 30-40 goal scorer wouldn't help the 2nd PP unit? What if Kesler gets injured for a long stretch of games, what becomes of our 2nd line? And if Raymond can't generate anything in the playoffs again, there's no point in upgrading on him, is there?

The asking price for RFA Parise is going to be much higher than Schroeder + 1st and it SHOULD be.

Parise would help in all 3 zones, not just scoring. I've said this a million times, but: He's one of the best 2-way forwards in the league, up there with Kesler and Datsyuk and he's still young.

Why do some people treat our players and prospects as if their garbage?

Why would you want to give up that much for Parise? Yea yea, he's a 40 goal scorer, so what? We have two likely ones our team this year.

You're gonna give up a 25 goal scorer, a top 4 defenceman, a future starting goaltender, and a good pick and prospect to get him?

Goal scoring is not even an issue for us. If we were going to offer up that package, we would be much better off offering it to Nashville for Weber.

Would we like to get Weber over Parise, most people would say yes. The problem is that it does not look like Nashville is going to give up Weber for anything. He is the cornerstone of that franchise and while Nashville tends to ship off players as they are about to demand a high raise, It is probably better for the franchise to keep Weber around and pay him the money he deserves. Best comparison would be the Rick Nash deal where both teams are know for spending the least amount of money in salaries, but they do know when a player is so crucial for there franchise where they cannot let them leave.

Parise is such a hot topic because he wants out. For once, the canucks have the prospects to go out and make a huge move like this, and it is more of the emergence of Ryan Kesler in which we do want to see this trade happen, since Kesler really has not had two wingers who have played with any real consistency over the course of this season.

Also what is really the problem with getting a third 40 goal scorer, isn't having more players who we can rely on providing goals for us a good thing.

Essentially what I am trying to get to is, while we like to speculate on bringing Weber back to BC, Praise seems like the more likely option of getting in the off season, and right now we are in the mist of what I believe is a three year span where we can legitimately contend for the cup and Parise might be a player who puts us over the top.

So, you think adding an elite linemate to Kesler's line wouldn't help the team? A 30-40 goal scorer wouldn't help the 2nd PP unit? What if Kesler gets injured for a long stretch of games, what becomes of our 2nd line? And if Raymond can't generate anything in the playoffs again, there's no point in upgrading on him, is there?

The asking price for RFA Parise is going to be much higher than Schroeder + 1st and it SHOULD be.

Parise would help in all 3 zones, not just scoring. I've said this a million times, but: He's one of the best 2-way forwards in the league, up there with Kesler and Datsyuk and he's still young.

Parise and Kesler should be worth about the same amount money wise. So at $5M per, I'd say that's about the max the Canucks would be willing to offer Parise. He'd be an unbelievable fit with Vancouver though. However, who saw Kesler becoming the impact player he's become? MG is getting a great return on his cap-hit, and if anything he should have gotten Sedin type money.

If NJ is going to trade Parise at all they will do it at the Deadline when teams are more willing to pay a premium for talent (even injured ones).

NJ has needs, they need to find a longer term fix in goal and they need scoring and talent to play with Kovalchuk. I believe the key here is Schneider. Who wouldn't be salivating over the chance to get him. They know we can't keep him long term and they manage their risk by trading an injured star.

I think Parise can be had for Schneider, Raymond and Schroeder.

The reason we do this is because he is an RFA come July 1st and that we believe he can play in the playoffs this year. If we don't believe he is ready for the playoffs then we don't do it.

The risk is all ours. If Parise is healthy right now he commands the high price. But since he's been injured all year and nobody knows what he will be like in the future then there should be a significant discount to his trade value. NJ gets arguable the best young up and coming goalie available (Crawford might disagree), a speedy gifted young top 6 forward and a highly touted US born prospect. The risk is all ours here. But I agree if he is progressing with his therapy then we take the shot. If we can't sign him to a 4-5 year contract at $4-4.5 per year to play with a contender then let someone else sign him and we'll take the picks.

Parise and Kesler should be worth about the same amount money wise. So at $5M per, I'd say that's about the max the Canucks would be willing to offer Parise. He'd be an unbelievable fit with Vancouver though. However, who saw Kesler becoming the impact player he's become? MG is getting a great return on his cap-hit, and if anything he should have gotten Sedin type money.

Raymond (no-brainer)

Schneider (no-brainer)

After that what do you add?

A 1st rounder? Hodgson or Schroeder? Ehrhoff? Ballard? (Ehrhoff is my favorite defenseman on the Canucks, but for Parise...)

Raymond

Schneider

Pick (2nd - 3rd)

Prospect (Hodgson - Schroeder)

Top-4 D-man (Ballard - Ehrhoff - Bieksa)

Would be the cost IMO.

Wow, that is a MASSIVE overpayment.

Parise is coming off of major knee surgery. Who knows how he's even going to perform after coming back. You want to lose a speedy 25 goal scorer, the best goalie prospect in the league who could easily be an NHL starter, a high pick, a highly touted first round draft pick, AND a top 4 d-man, all for one 40+ scorer who may or may not return to form? Who will also be commanding upwards of 6-7 million come contract time?

Thank goodness you're not the GM.

Archived