The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Earthquake?

Madness

Just curious to know-- where is everyone getting their information from?

Twitter, CNN, and Al Jazeera - all have done a fabulous job with their coverage. To actually be able to see the damage makes the whole situation feel much more real and I think it makes everyone feel a sense of responsibility to help in any way that we can.

I tuned out of Al-Jazeera at around 2am this morning and then woke up several times during the night to check twitter from my phone. Knowing that BC was looking at the possiblity of a tsunami, I just wanted to make sure Tofino and all those places were ok.

Can't believe another eq hit Japan already. Wow they must be so uneasy right now not knowing when the after shocks are going to stop

I recall Alberni and Port Alberni sustaining serious damage when the west coast of Vancouver island was hit with a the tsunami generated by the Alaska earthquake on March 28, 1964 but there was no loss of life.

The shape and configuration of the inlet were the reason for the extensive flooding that occurred at Alberni and Port Alberni. The first wave to reach the head of the inlet caused major flooding but was not particularly damaging. It served as a warning for people to evacuate. It was the second wave - almost an hour later - that came with much greater force and caused the greater damage by carrying homes and cars inland. A total of 375 dwellings were damaged, with 55 being totally lost.

Other areas of Vancouver island sustained damage. At the village of Hot Springs Cove, 16 of its 18 homes were destroyed. At the community of Zeballos, 30 dwellings were moved off their foundations and their contents were damaged. At the small logging community of Amai, 10 homes were damaged.

There was no loss of lives on Vancouver Island or anywhere else in Canada. Damage was estimated at $ 10 million (1964 dollars).

tsu64BCPortAlberni5.gif

I was just watching the Noon News Hour and the waves have now hit California with one death reported when a person was pulled out to sea.

Twitter, CNN, and Al Jazeera - all have done a fabulous job with their coverage. To actually be able to see the damage makes the whole situation feel much more real and I think it makes everyone feel a sense of responsibility to help in any way that we can.

I agree 100%. Its certainly helped with bringing us together and feeling a sense of entitlement. I think that Twitter is an amazing source-- in most cases it comes out with the information before the news broadcasts it. This is definitely the age of Social Media. The videos and aerial pictures are both stunning and horrifying. I remember reading a tweet that had this quake not happened in Japan, the outcome would have been a lot worse. Millions of lives were saved in Japan because of their good engineering and government building codes.

On a side note, USGS says that Japan has permanently moved 2.4m after this earthquake. Crazy!

We have a team in Vancouver that specializes in earthquake rescues. I don't care about the cost, get their ass on a plane and over there Mr. Harper. Don't wait, just go. They need help.

+1!

I'm in school right now, and watching all these video's and seeing all these pics, just mind boggling!

Prayers to the people in Japan

Oh no.. It wasn't supposed to be severe here in North America.. Why was that guy so close to the sea in Cali? :sadno: Stay safe the rest of you, Yankee friends. Ditch the boat or whatever you left there, it's not worth it!

The U.S. is 'rushing' coolant and experts to assist with the Nuclear facility that experienced damage. So, that's good news.

Radiation level climbs at Japanese nuclear plant, US sends coolantMar 11, 2011, 18:20 GMT

Tokyo - The radiation level in a building housing a turbine at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant in Japan was rising, the Kyodo news agency reported early Saturday, as the United States announced that it had sent coolant after the plant's cooling systems failed. 'It's a really scary race against time,' said Robert Alvarez, an expert on nuclear power and a former top official in the US Department of Energy.

Problems arose at the plant after an 8.9-magnitude earthquake shook the Asian country on Friday afternoon. Around 3,000 people living in the plant's vicinity have already been evacuated over fears of a radioactive leak.

The plant's operator, the Tokyo Electric Power Co, said that air pressure inside one of the reactors had also soared.

The company was considering whether to release 'a little' air, which according to experts is a 'normal procedure.'

Concerns had been raised earlier in the day after the electrical system to supply the plant's emergency cooling system failed. The radioactive core needs continued cooling to prevent a meltdown.

Mobile power supplies had now arrived at the plant to restore the system, which had been operating on batteries, the industry news outlet World Nuclear News said, citing an official statement.

US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said the US Air Force in Japan had also transported coolant to the plant.

The earthquake could have damaged the infrastructure that supplies water to the plant, Alvarez said.

An inability to get water pumped into the reactor within about a 24-hour period could result in severe consequences, including a possible meltdown of the reactor's core, he said.

Two other Japanese power plants had reported fires in non-nuclear areas earlier Friday, but both were extinguished within a few hours.

Video of a tsunami wave coming in:

The waves won't be much more than a meter high at most in the sheltered waters of Georgia Straight and Burrard Inlet. (Thanks Vancouver Island for shielding us.)

Why does California matter more than anyplace else?

With the great distance between us and Japan, you are most likely correct but it is almost impossible to predict the size of a tsunami. There is too many factors that affect it. Also Vancouver Island may not necassarily protect you. Depending on the angle and speed, the wave could propagate around it

I'm hearing the waves won't hit Vancouver, though I'm from Surrey;

.......Does this mean Victoria's done? huh.gif

If we were going to see any remnants of the tsunami, we would have seen them between 7am-12pm.

I doubt we'll see anything that should cause anyone any alarm. Seems the distance dissipated the intensity of the wave.

If we were going to see any remnants of the tsunami, we would have seen them between 7am-12pm.

I doubt we'll see anything that should cause anyone any alarm. Seems the distance dissipated the intensity of the wave.

I know Vancouver probably won't get damaged; but will Victoria/Vancouver island get hit as its a very tiny island!???

Yepp, Vancouver was always safe for the most part- It was Victoria/Tofino that was more of a concern. The waves did hit Tofino, but it was less than a meter high I believe... they still have said to stay away from the water just in case. I have friends who've ignored the warnings and gone surfing-- stupidest idea ever. A man was swept away by the waters in NorCal while taking pictures of the tsunami waves. So, stay away from the water till everyone/everything is in the clear!

I know Vancouver probably won't get damaged; but will Victoria/Vancouver island get hit as its a very tiny island!???

Look at a map, Victoria is sheltered from the ocean. I can't believe they even need to tell people Vancouver won't get hit by a tsunami...

Ahh, Japanese News is way too advance for me to understand very much of it at all.

I always wonder what it's like for animals when an earthquake occurs. It must really throw the ecosystem off balance for a while... ?

I really hope the worst of it is over.