The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

5th place plays a 1 game decider vs #4 to see who plays 1st so we'll be playing in LA.

What's the point in that? Why not just just make it so that the top 4 make the playoffs, 1 plays 4, 2 plays 3? Why give the 5th place team a one game chance to win the right to play the 1st place team?

Edit: The top 3 teams get a bye into the second round with only the 4th and 5th place teams playing in round 1. That makes more sense.

Edited by Where's Wellwood

Edit: The top 3 teams get a bye into the second round with only the 4th and 5th place teams playing in round 1. That makes more sense.

Don't be too surprised if you see this come to an NHL rink near you.

I predict that along with divisional realignment we will see an expanded playoff format similar to this once this CBA nonsense is settled. Although, in my prediction, I have it as a best of 3 in the first round. It's one way for the league to increase revenues.

What's the point in that? Why not just just make it so that the top 4 make the playoffs, 1 plays 4, 2 plays 3? Why give the 5th place team a one game chance to win the right to play the 1st place team?

Once the MLS gets more teams a better playoff format will be created. With only 20 teams, you can't do a 16 team playoff, and 8 teams is to few. This play in (4 vs 5) game creates buzz and interest in two extra cities.

For what Miller and Robson make they both should be giving it 110% on every play, and they don't. I think Miller plays hard most of the time, it's just his age has caught up to him. I have NO CLUE what's going on with Robson. For about 4 games he looked like a giant upgrade on Chummy, but EVERY other game he has looked far worse.

Glad we backed into the playoffs.

The ref was a huge stinking pile of horse crap. I can't believe he managed to miss 5 hand balls, 2 of which were in the god damned box.

Oh well, to the playoffs, boys!

ooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhh, you fat bastard!

Can someone explain format of the #4 vs #5 game? I imagine it is set up to avoid a tie game. Is there an overtime of some kind followed by penalties?

1 game elimination. Regular MLS playoff rules apply. Two 15 min half's of ET (if tied at end of .90 min), and then PK's if still tied.

• Upvote 1

1 game elimination. Regular MLS playoff rules apply. Two 15 min half's of ET (if tied at end of .90 min), and then PK's if still tied.

Thanks

That was a meaningful game for RSL, and we gave them no real chances, and if not for a phantom offside call on Mattocks, would have won 1-0.

My only fear is Rennie will play Miller. Our offence went completely away as soon as he came on. All 6 shots came before the 70th min. Miller came on at the 70th minute.

I really hope somehow they pull it off, only for the fact it would be great for them to get a home playoff game against San Jose. Whitecap fans have had to put up with a crappy second half of the season, a home playoff game would hopefully make up for that!

They'll be in tough tonight against a Galaxy team they have never beaten. I'd say the first goal is key but the Caps blew a 2-0 lead agaisnt LA earlier this year at home. That said if LA scores the first goal tonight at home it'll be a uphill battle for the Caps.

Based on their performance against Real Salt Lake, I would expect the 'Caps to defend hard and counter attack until the first goal is scored. The further they can go goalless the better chance they will have. While I am not a proponent of this style of play, It may be VanCity's best chance for an upset. I'd take my chances at a shootout with Knighton in net, for sure!

Really hoping the guys can pull together and put out a great effort tonight. I'll be honest, I'm not overly optimistic. More hopeful than anything. The fact they made it this far in just their second MLS season(regardless of their second half), though, is definitely something to be applauded.

Edited by pimpcurtly

'Caps Starting 11 for tonight:

YP Lee - Andy O'Brien - Jay Demerit - Jordan Harvey

Gershon Koffie - Alain Rochat - Matt Watson

John Thorrington - Barry Robson

Darren Mattocks

No Miller!! :towel:

Edited by OurTimeToShine