The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I know game schedules have been a bit tricky to find, so for those that might be unaware, the 'Caps take on RSL tonight at 7:00 on TSN.

Thanks for the reminder.

Come to think of it, isn't there some other soccer game on today as well?   -_-

Just now, UnkNuk said:

Thanks for the reminder.

Come to think of it, isn't there some other soccer game on today as well?   -_-

I seem to recall something about that....

For some reason, it reminds me of an NFL game between the Lions and the Vikings....B)

• Haha 1

A team is their record, as we often hear.

In which case, the Whitecaps are one of the worst teams in the league.

The frustrating thing, though, is that when I look at their individual players I keep thinking this team has potential.  They should be doing better.

So they go on another break.  The transfer window is open and maybe by next game there may be one or two new players.  And with any luck, maybe soon they'll actually have a home game.

I'd like some input from people who know the game better than me...

Yesterday, I switched over to watch the second half of the match. (after the hockey game ended) The 'Caps were down 1-nil, but had the run of the play. After watching a bit I realized the White was playing in Cavalini's spot (then I remembered his Yellow card accumulation)

I switched over to something else after RSL went up 3-nil, but from what I saw yesterday and last week, White looks just awful to me. Am I out to lunch on that? Too small a sample size?

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'd like some input from people who know the game better than me...

Yesterday, I switched over to watch the second half of the match. (after the hockey game ended) The 'Caps were down 1-nil, but had the run of the play. After watching a bit I realized the White was playing in Cavalini's spot (then I remembered his Yellow card accumulation)

I switched over to something else after RSL went up 3-nil, but from what I saw yesterday and last week, White looks just awful to me. Am I out to lunch on that? Too small a sample size?

I don't know if I know the game better than you but I would say: too small a sample size.

At least, I hope so.

He scored a goal the first time he appeared in a Whitecaps' uniform but since then he hasn't done much.  But, then, he hasn't had much opportunity.  And with the Whitecaps we have the perennial discussion: is their lack of scoring due to the strikers, or the lack of service to those strikers from midfield?

sidenote: Cavalini (and Crepeau) weren't playing because they are with the MNT for the Gold Cup competition starting on Sunday.

Just now, UnkNuk said:

I don't know if I know the game better than you but I would say: too small a sample size.

At least, I hope so.

He scored a goal the first time he appeared in a Whitecaps' uniform but since then he hasn't done much.  But, then, he hasn't had much opportunity.  And with the Whitecaps we have the perennial discussion: is their lack of scoring due to the strikers, or the lack of service to those strikers from midfield?

sidenote: Cavalini (and Crepeau) weren't playing because they are with the MNT for the Gold Cup competition starting on Sunday.

Hmmm....I could have sworn I heard them say, Cavalini had to miss because of Yellow accumulation....

Must have been drunk....:unsure:

It's going to be easy to overlook given that, apparently, there's some game over in Europe that's getting a lot of attention on Sunday.

But for diehard Canadian soccer fans, the Canadian Men's National Team starts its tournament in the Gold Cup on Sunday as well.

Their first of three games in the opening round is against Martinique at 3:30 and the game is available to be streamed on OneSoccer ($10 a month).

https://onesoccer.ca/

Their second game in the opening round is against Haiti on Thursday (4:30) and then the US on Sunday the 18th (2;00).  I think the game against the US is going to be broadcast on Fox.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

And in other Sunday soccer news:

Canada, as expected, beat Martinique 4-1 in their opening game of the Gold Cup.

I missed the first half and when I tuned in it was already 3-1.  Many yellow cards handed out in the second half.

I was puzzled that Alphonso and Jonathan David weren't playing.  I've since read that Davies was supposed to be part of the Gold Cup squad but suffered an ankle injury in practice and is out for the tournament.   David was allowed to miss the tournament to practice with his French team Lille.

So this tournament won't be the forecast of the World Cup Qualifiying session coming up that I thought it might be.

No matter:  #83 Haiti is coming up on Thursday.  Canada ranks #70.

Canada beats  an under-manned Haiti 4-1 in their second game in the Gold Cup tournament.  A bunch of the Haitian players couldn't play because of Covid-19 concerns.  Couple that with the problems occuring in their home country and Haiti actually played pretty well under the circumstances.  Crepeau made a couple of very good saves in the first half which could have impacted the game.

With the win, Canada is now in the quarterfinals.

Their third and last game in the group stage is against the US on Sunday.  The game will be broadcast on Fox at 2pm.  Since both teams are in the quarterfinals it's a bit meaningless as far as the tournament goes but should still be interesting to see how Canada stacks up against a good team - the US is ranked 20th in the world.

• Thanks 1

The Whitecaps scored more goals in this game than the other team!   Apparently this is called a 'win'!

Okay, it's been a while.

First half was ho-hum, but the Caps came out in the second with some purpose and snagged a 2-1 comeback win against the Galaxy (who, it must be said, were missing an injured Chicharito and four or five other players who are in the Gold Cup.  But a win is a win!)

I thought Javain Brown had a good game for the Caps.  

However, I think the highlight of the game was the news from the announcers that the Caps are close to signing two players in the transfer window.  Possible dps?

Caps play Houston on Tuesday.   Can they possibly....what was the word?.....win two games in a row?

• Cheers 2

13 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

The Whitecaps scored more goals in this game than the other team!   Apparently this is called a 'win'!

Okay, it's been a while.

First half was ho-hum, but the Caps came out in the second with some purpose and snagged a 2-1 comeback win against the Galaxy (who, it must be said, were missing an injured Chicharito and four or five other players who are in the Gold Cup.  But a win is a win!)

I thought Javain Brown had a good game for the Caps.  

However, I think the highlight of the game was the news from the announcers that the Caps are close to signing two players in the transfer window.  Possible dps?

Caps play Houston on Tuesday.   Can they possibly....what was the word?.....win two games in a row?

I missed the first half, but watched most of the second. 'Caps had the run of play and deserved the win, IMO.

I've been critical of White, but the give and go with Dajome for the winning goal showed a lot of poise. I think a lot of young players would have tried to blast that ball through the three guys in front of him...

You could even say the he was the second best player (named for a color) on the pitch....B)

BTW, if there was any doubt before this match, I think Dajome cemented his position as the best player on the squad last night.

• Cheers 1

So Canada loses to the US 0-1 in the Gold Cup, snapping their eight game winning streak.

I thought Canada played well (aside from the opening 20 seconds when the Americans scored one of the fastest goals in Gold Cup history).  After taking the early lead, the US emulated the Whitecaps and, for a lot of the game, seem to go into a defensive shell, trying to protect their lead.  It worked this time but had the Canadians had a bit more accuracy around the net the result could easily have been different.

I know Canada is without its two best players in this tournament.  I don't know how many high profile Americans are not playing in this tournament.  So it's difficult to assess where Canada stacks up against one of the better teams in their conference.  For if the American team we watched today is, more or less, their complete team then Canada has made some major strides.  On the other hand, if the Americans were missing a half dozen of their regulars, we still have a ways to go.

Anyways, on to the quarter-finals.

Just in time for the Whitecaps run to the playoffs!

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mls-canadian-teams-to-host-home-matches-in-canada-in-august

Major League Soccer announced Friday that the league's three Canadian clubs will host August home matches at their home stadiums in Canada.

MLS teams will continue to abide by the cross-border public health protocols enacted on July 5 by the Canadian government, which are required of all individuals entering the country. In accordance with the national protocols, fully-vaccinated players and staff are not subject to a quarantine period. However, all individuals must conduct molecular COVID-19 testing prior to travel and upon arrival in Canada.

MLS remains in communication with the Canadian government regarding plans for CF Montréal, Toronto FC and Vancouver Whitecaps FC to host their remaining home matches in Canada pursuant to a National Interest Exemption.

All three Canadian teams will be permitted to have fans and media in attendance at matches, in compliance with all national and regional guidelines.

#70 Canada beats #50 Costa Rica 2-0 in the Gold Cup quarter-finals.

Canada dominated the game and deserved the win.  The only drawback was that Cavalleni and Steven Vitória picked up yellow cards which, when coupled with their previous yellow cards, will keep them out of the semi-finals.

And speaking of that semi-final:  it will be against #11 Mexico on Thursday.

I'm going to enjoy today's win and hope for the best on Thursday.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

#70 Canada beats #50 Costa Rica 2-0 in the Gold Cup quarter-finals.

Canada dominated the game and deserved the win.  The only drawback was that Cavalleni and Steven Vitória picked up yellow cards which, when coupled with their previous yellow cards, will keep them out of the semi-finals.

And speaking of that semi-final:  it will be against #11 Mexico on Thursday.

I'm going to enjoy today's win and hope for the best on Thursday.

Yeah, hard to picture them knocking off the Mexicans, especially with the guys they're missing from the lineup. To make it even more difficult, I read yesterday that Cavalini won't be able to play the semi-final due to yellow card accumulation.

Canada loses to Mexico 1-2 in the Gold Cup semi-final.

If a loss can be encouraging, that was an encouraging loss.  Canada was in the game, against a tough opponent (#11 in the world), in a stadium full of Mexican fans.  And they could've won.

An entertaining (and spirited) game which, unfortunately, was not available on network tv.  Nor will the upcoming World Cup qualifying games be on network tv.  Which is even more unfortunate because there's a good thing developing here and it should be fun to watch starting this September.

:towel:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mj2345 said:

Tonight Minnesota @ Whitecaps 7PM…TSN

Final “home” game in Utah before they head back here

And the Caps were gifted a 2-2 draw in a so-so game.  In extra time the Caps were awarded a penalty kick.  Watching the play in real time and again in replay, I thought Dajome ran into the Minnesota player.  But you have to take advantage of the breaks when given and they did.

Otherwise, the highlight of the game was the announcement that the Whitecaps have signed a new designated player - attacking midfielder Ryan Gauld.

From the Caps website:

image.jpeg.afb3dbcb41c0abb87b9073e14a26d58e.jpeg

Whitecaps FC midfielder Ryan Gauld

One of only three players last season to feature in the Portuguese Primeira Liga’s top 10 in both goals and assists - ranked sixth in assists, while leading SC Farense in goals and was ninth overall 
Nine goals, seven assists and three penalties won in 33 starts in 2020-21 
2020-21 Primeira Liga leader in key passes per game, expected assists, shot opportunities created, while landing in the top five in shots, corners, free kicks, and penalty goals scored 
Portugal's 2019-20 Liga Pro Player of the Year while leading Farense to promotion 

and

Position: Attacking midfielder 
Number: 25
Height: 5-07
Weight: 150
Date of Birth: December 16, 1995 in Aberdeen, Scotland 
Hometown: Laurencekirk, Scotland 
Citizenship: Scotland
Youth Clubs: Brechin City Boys Club, Dundee United  
Previous Club: SC Farense (Portugal ‘19-’21) 

If Gauld can add some goal scoring to this team I think the Caps have a shot at the playoffs.

• Cheers 1