The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

Not a bad game to watch.  Too bad they lost but Colorado deserved the win.

One troubling thing is the Whitecaps' inability to score in the run of play.  Their three goals this year have come from a corner, a penalty kick and a free kick.  As I recall, they had the same problem last year.  Granted, it's only been three games but it's something to keep an eye on.

• Upvote 1

Granted, the first half was like watching paint dry.

But the second half was not bad.  And when the Whitecaps win by a multi-goal score, who's going to complain?   Not me.

On to Minnesota on Wednesday.

• Like 1

An entertaining 0-1 loss.They had their chances but just couldn't put them away.

So after 5 games the Caps are .500 - 2 wins, 2 losses and a draw.

On the plus side, they've only given up four goals in those five games.

On the minus side, they've only scored five goals in those five games.  And none of those goals have come from the run of play.  Scoring goals from set pieces is a valuable tool for a team to have but they have to start putting away the chances that arise during the run of play.  When/if they do, the Caps could be a formidable team.

One cautionary note:  all five games the Whitecaps have played have been against mid-level or low-level teams this season.  They have yet to face any of the early front runners.

Houston 2 Whitecaps 1

On the bright side, the Caps weren't shut out.  And they scored a goal from the run of play.

On the down side, they lost.  Again.  Third time in a row.

It's probably a good thing that MLS is taking a four week break.  Gives the Caps a chance to correct a few (many?) things.

• 4 weeks later...

Another game, another loss.  This time 1-3 to RSL.  Disappointing in that I thought the Caps deserved a draw.  RSL scored two goals in extra time.  Caps goal scored by newcomer Brian White.  An entertaining game - especially the second half.  Caps are the only MLS team who haven't scored a goal in the first half.

Next up, the Galaxy on Wednesday.

• Cheers 1

They certainly need something...

Last night I tuned in just in time to watch the last half hour...'Caps were down a goal, but completely controlled the run of play. Several grade A chances go begging and then (finally) Bikel scores in stoppage time....

2 minutes later, the Cap's have two opportunities to clear a cross into the 18 yard box and Andy Rose nods the ball directly to a Galaxy player who promptly deposits it in the net....:picard:

It was the most "Whitecap" thing I've seen all season.....<_<

The one excuse I can find for the Whitecaps is what's happening to Toronto and Montreal.

Montreal is in 9th position and Toronto is in 13th position in the East.  Vancouver is 12th in the West.  All three are playing their 'home' games in the US.  A set-up like that may be more difficult to deal with than we realize.

16 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

The one excuse I can find for the Whitecaps is what's happening to Toronto and Montreal.

Montreal is in 9th position and Toronto is in 13th position in the East.  Vancouver is 12th in the West.  All three are playing their 'home' games in the US.  A set-up like that may be more difficult to deal with than we realize.

I agree....it's a very difficult situation....

That being said, there is no excuse for not getting a point out of the match against LA. Home or away (or neutral ground) you have to be able to close that one out. On that winning goal, there were two consecutive poor attempts at heading the ball clear....

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That being said, there is no excuse for not getting a point out of the match against LA. Home or away (or neutral ground) you have to be able to close that one out. On that winning goal, there were two consecutive poor attempts at heading the ball clear....

Still have the Whitecap’s soccer ball signed by the players winning in ‘79.  Went to lots of games at old Empire Stadium.  Team just doesn’t catch the interest like it used to.  Don’t know why.  

To be honest, I don't really care about the coaching or the players. The problem is clearly with ownership and the management that has persisted over years of failure. They've lost their core fans already and nobody else is going to watch their garbage soccer. Change up management and give the team more support, or sell. 

4 hours ago, SNuck said:

To be honest, I don't really care about the coaching or the players. The problem is clearly with ownership and the management that has persisted over years of failure. They've lost their core fans already and nobody else is going to watch their garbage soccer. Change up management and give the team more support, or sell. 

Sell a franchise player, then nickel and dime the fans....

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Still have the Whitecap’s soccer ball signed by the players winning in ‘79.  Went to lots of games at old Empire Stadium.  Team just doesn’t catch the interest like it used to.  Don’t know why.  

As a fan of that team I have to ask:  how did you come to own a ball signed by the '79 players?  That's a pretty cool memento.

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It was a bad goal and a tough loss.

And now they have to go to Seattle and play the Sounders on Saturday.  Just what they need - a game against probably the best team in MLS.   :sadno:

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

My wife got it.  Can’t really remember how though.  

I'm guessing most people here are too young to remember Soccer Bowl '79 but it was one of the biggest events for Vancouver sporting fans ever.  That and some of the BC Lions early Grey Cup wins when the CFL was a bigger deal than it is now.

The Canucks Stanley Cup runs were exciting but they failed to bring home the prize.

Phil Parkes, Kevin Hector, Alan Ball, Tony Waiters.......the memories.   :towel:

• Cheers 1