The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Grenier | RW

b3.

He's an All-Star in the AHL now, still not getting a sniff at a very weak NHL lineup, why?

WD could slot him into our lineup literally anywhere. I understand we need Chaput at center but I'd rather get Gaunce playing center and keep one of those two guys, keep Skille on our 3rd line and put Grenier in instead of Megna. Bigger body, more offensive skill, stronger, righty so can play with the twins if need be. Send Megna down to Utica, he's had his fun.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He's an All-Star in the AHL now, still not getting a sniff at a very weak NHL lineup, why?

WD could slot him into our lineup literally anywhere. I understand we need Chaput at center but I'd rather get Gaunce playing center and keep one of those two guys, keep Skille on our 3rd line and put Grenier in instead of Megna. Bigger body, more offensive skill, stronger, righty so can play with the twins if need be. Send Megna down to Utica, he's had his fun.

I get the sense that WD is very quick to develop opinions on players, and doesn't change them very easily. I doubt Grenier impressed him very much during his stint last year but I think part of that is Grenier is kind of an awkward player to project at the NHL level. He's a skill guy, but he didn't mesh with the Sedins at all. He's a big body but he's not a guy who crashes and bangs on the fourth line. I'd say he at least needs to play in the top nine to succeed but WD loves Megna too much to scratch him.

I do think Grenier has earned another shot at the NHL - he was his usual inconsistent self to start the season in Utica but he's really come alive of late and shown a much more well-rounded game, and has been leading the team offensively along with Valk and Archibald. I wouldn't mind seeing him get a chance alongside Sutter and Granlund. (Put Eriksson with the twins.)

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Is that why Megna was out scoring Grenier in Utica?

There's a reason Megna and Chaput were called up before him. 

37 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Is that why Megna was out scoring Grenier in Utica?

There's a reason Megna and Chaput were called up before him. 

Care to back that up?  Chaput did, chaput was 2nd in the league early on, but not megna. At no point this year did Megna have more points than Grenier.  .  Megna only played 4 games in utica this year picking up 3 points.  While Grenier started this year putting up 4 points in his first 3 games.   

and just for good measure, how about the previous years

Grenier

2015 - 67gp, 43p

2016 - 69gp, 48p

Megna

2015 - 63gp, 39p

2016 - 68gp, 44p

Not to mention that Grenier is a full year younger as well.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Care to back that up?  Chaput did, chaput was 2nd in the league early on, but not megna. At no point this year did Megna have more points than Grenier.  .  Megna only played 4 games in utica this year picking up 3 points.  While Grenier started this year putting up 4 points in his first 3 games.   

and just for good measure, how about the previous years

Grenier

2015 - 67gp, 43p

2016 - 69gp, 48p

Megna

2015 - 63gp, 39p

2016 - 68gp, 44p

Not to mention that Grenier is a full year younger as well.

PPG pretty sure he was higher.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

PPG pretty sure he was higher.

Um nope.The game sheets are available to look at.

Menga got called up oct 24th.

In that time, both Utica Comets and Megna played a total of 4 games.

Megna had 1 goal, 2 assist for a total of 3 points, or .75ppg

In those same four games

Grenier was sporting 2 goals, 2 assist for a total 4 points or 1.0ppg

At no point this year did Megna have more points or a higher ppg than Grenier.

16 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Um nope.The game sheets are available to look at.

Menga got called up oct 24th.

In that time, both Utica Comets and Megna played a total of 4 games.

Megna had 1 goal, 2 assist for a total of 3 points, or .75ppg

In those same four games

Grenier was sporting 2 goals, 2 assist for a total 4 points or 1.0ppg

At no point this year did Megna have more points or a higher ppg than Grenier.

Well there you go...:lol: 

Pretty damn close over a small sample size either way. Pretty sure given they're were scoring comparably and they likely preferred Megna's toothier play style...

The point was, Grenier has not out played either Chaput or Megna to deserve a call up ahead of either. He's certainly not going to be the vast improvement over either CDC seems to think he will be. 

'B-b-b-but leading scoring FOOrrwarrDDDZZ!' :frantic:

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Well there you go...:lol: 

Pretty damn close over a small sample size either way. Pretty sure given they're were scoring comparably and they likely preferred Megna's toothier play style...

The point was, Grenier has not out played either Chaput or Megna to deserve a call up ahead of either. He's certainly not going to be the vast improvement over either CDC seems to think he will be. 

'B-b-b-but leading scoring FOOrrwarrDDDZZ!'

But to be fair, Megna hasn't really done anything to show he was or still is a better option than Grenier.  I think it's that Grenier is still developing and would be better off playing in Utica than getting the odd game in the NHL.  When Megna got called up, no one really expected it to be for a consistent role.  Chaput wasn't called up until the Gaunce at center experience was over. 

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

But to be fair, Megna hasn't really done anything to show he was or still is a better option than Grenier.  I think it's that Grenier is still developing and would be better off playing in Utica than getting the odd game in the NHL.  When Megna got called up, no one really expected it to be for a consistent role.  Chaput wasn't called up until the Gaunce at center experience was over. 

He's played his ass off. Something I've yet to see from Grenier at this level in any of his call ups, preseasons etc.

Not his fault that he's unfortunately one of very few options for our depth and has been placed in positions over his head. Nor is it his fault for CDC crucifying him for not producing in those positions.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

He's played his ass off. Something I've yet to see from Grenier at this level in any of his call ups, preseasons etc.

Not his fault that he's unfortunately one of very few options for our depth and has been placed in positions over his head. Nor is it his fault for CDC crucifying him for not producing in those positions.

It's not a try league, it's a get it done league. 

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

He hasn't really been given a shot at the NHL level. and as i pointed out, he's got more done in the AHL then Megna has. 

He has been given shots. Call ups and preseason.

And 3 vs 4 points over a small, 4 game sample while not playing with as much bite is not 'getting more done'. And Megna has historically outscored him in the A.

Sorry, but in no way has Grenier shown he's a better option.  And why the hell are we even arguing about AHL plugs anyway?! :lol:

This is just like the 'Subban should be called up and played!!!' nonsense. None of these guys is the night and day difference maker CDC seems to think they'll be :lol:

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

He has been given shots. Call ups and preseason.

6 NHL games isn't a shot.

And 3 vs 4 points over a small, 4 game sample while not playing with as much bite is not 'getting more done'. And Megna has historically outscored him in the A.

Come on this is very easy research.  What year did Megna outproduce Grenier at the AHL? 

2013 when Grenier only played 4 games total..

2014 Nope,

2015 Nope,

2016 Nope

and don't forget Grenier is a year young than Megna.

Sorry, but in no way has Grenier shown he's a better option.  And why the hell are we even arguing about AHL plugs anyway?!

This is just like the 'Subban should be called up and played!!!' nonsense. None of these guys is the night and day difference maker CDC seems to think they'll be

I could care less about these players, it's just the idea that people throw out bogus claims to somehow justify one player is more deserving than others. There's no real science behind these most of these types of decisions. For the most part it's probably just personal preference. Politics in decisions still runs in the NHL. 

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

6 NHL games isn't a shot.

Come on this is very easy research.  What year did Megna outproduce Grenier at the AHL? 

2013 when Grenier only played 4 games total..

2014 Nope,

2015 Nope,

2016 Nope

6 games and preseasons. Shown nothing. You want more of a shot than that you actually have to show something, ANYTHING.

PPG, yup.

10 minutes ago, J.R. said:

6 games and preseasons. Shown nothing. You want more of a shot than that you actually have to show something, ANYTHING.

PPG, yup.

Yeah, while it's true that's Grenier hasn't had a significant sized sample of game action in Vancouver, he has been given quite a few looks and he's been followed closely for years.

My biggest concern has always been his compete level whenever he's been on NHL ice. He's really lacked that competitive fire. He's shown much more at the AHL level (during his best stretches) but for whatever reason, he just hasn't "brought it" whenever he's wearing that Canucks jersey. 

I wouldn't really care care about him posting zeros across the board (in his NHL games) if he was displaying a good work rate and had some strong shifts to fall back on. But it's really been a lot of "meh" from Grenier during his NHL stints.

That all said, I'd still like to see him get a few games this season. He does have potential, but he's really running out of time to prove he "belongs" at the NHL level.

50 minutes ago, J.R. said:

PPG, yup.

Come on JR.. MATH

2013-14

22 year old, Grenier 68gp, 39  .57ppg

23 year old, Megna 25pg, 15  .60ppg

2014-15

23 year old Grenier 67gp, 43 .64ppg

24 year old, Megna 63pg, 39 .61ppg

2015-16

24 year old, Grenier 69gp, 48 .69ppg

25 year old, Megna 68pg, 44 .64pp

AHL totals

Grenier 245gp 161 .66ppg

Megna 216gp 113 .52ppg

The one year, greniers first full year where megna had a smaller sample size.  He beat grenier by .03%.  That Megna has sure historically outscore him. hey?

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

And Megna has historically outscored him in the A.

This is what I mean with bogus claims. 

20 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

This isn't a conspiracy. Don't you think that if Megna or Chaput had stayed with the Comets they'd at least be doing as well as Grenier if not better (they were the better players at the time they were called up)? One of them would likely have been selected for the All-Star game ahead of Grenier as well.

We still have Boucher and Rodin available ahead of Grenier. It's all been said already and as a spot opens up he may get his chance.

Archived