The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2011-12 Season

canuck2xtreme

It is certainly tough to slip a little in the standings, losing ground to Anaheim and watching the Jets skate up on us in the fight for 8th place. But when your leading the league in injuries, including your best Dman and starting goaltender, this kind of thing is expected. It is a testament to our players and system that we are still in holding onto 8th in the west, and when you look at the league standings, we are even better off with 13th. The downside, obviously, is that we are slipping a little more than what I consider a good comfort zone, points wise. We had intended to remain withing a hundred points of second place. Well, with injuries like this, and some folks coming up and expected to contribute right away in the NHL, perhaps with more minutes than they would get under normal circumstances, we are bound to slip a little. San Jose remains committed to its system and core, hardly a time to rework the founding philosophy. Sorry Jets...but word is some of our key injuries are just about healed up.

It is certainly tough to slip a little in the standings, losing ground to Anaheim and watching the Jets skate up on us in the fight for 8th place. But when your leading the league in injuries, including your best Dman and starting goaltender, this kind of thing is expected. It is a testament to our players and system that we are still in holding onto 8th in the west, and when you look at the league standings, we are even better off with 13th. The downside, obviously, is that we are slipping a little more than what I consider a good comfort zone, points wise. We had intended to remain withing a hundred points of second place. Well, with injuries like this, and some folks coming up and expected to contribute right away in the NHL, perhaps with more minutes than they would get under normal circumstances, we are bound to slip a little. San Jose remains committed to its system and core, hardly a time to rework the founding philosophy. Sorry Jets...but word is some of our key injuries are just about healed up.

First off, leading the league in injuries? You're a little banged up but you just now placed players on IR, and everyone who's missed time hasn't missed much.

Ryan Kesler missed the start of the season. Travis Zajac still out til mid to late November according to projections. Mason Raymond still recovering from the broken back he sustained from that cheap shot in the playoffs. My former 3rd line center Brendan Morrison missed the start of the year as well, you got him right when he returned to the lineup. Defencemen like Kurtis Foster missed the start of the season and is just now working his way back in. Same for Milan Jurcina. Taylor Fedun was about to win a job on the Oilers blue line before he broke his leg, now he's likely done for the year. And Martin Brodeur, my starting goaltender, has registered zero points for me thanks to an injury sustained less than a week into the season, and he's still out.

Second.... let them heal up. I'll still pass you. :towel: If you think my sights are set on 8th place, you're sadly mistaken. :P I'm coming for Calgary!

Ugh...

Looking at the Points This Week on PUH, the Habs have the fewest points this week and are the only team in the league who have yet to reach triple digits... 93 points is all the Canadiens have mustered.

While we know that it is early in the season and we are hesitant to make whole-sale changes due to a rough week, the boo-birds at the Bell Centre have been out in full force this week and GM _arby_18 has certainly heard them.

Ugh...

Looking at the Points This Week on PUH, the Habs have the fewest points this week and are the only team in the league who have yet to reach triple digits... 93 points is all the Canadiens have mustered.

While we know that it is early in the season and we are hesitant to make whole-sale changes due to a rough week, the boo-birds at the Bell Centre have been out in full force this week and GM _arby_18 has certainly heard them.

Ahhh Habs fans... the only fans in the league that make Canucks fans look patient.... :lol:

Loved the result from last night, the Canucks looked much more like the team we know they can be and on a personal note, my Canucks contingent put up a lot of points. Anyways, I was watching the CanucksHD youtube clips of the goals, and I noticed something on Lapierre's goal that opened the scoring.

Lappy gets this one with hard work and hustle, getting to that puck and banking it in off Tomas Vokoun before he can get set. But while it wasn't an icing, I was surprised to see Lapierre with that much room on what should have been a harmless dump and chase scenario. Where was the Capitals player that was supposed to be checking Lapierre? Watch Alexander Semin on this play.

He's right with Lapierre at the blue line. Lappy gets a step on him, and instead of staying on his man and going after the puck, Semin stops skating, and lackadaisically coasts into an empty corner, leaving Lapierre with loads of time and space to play the puck and generate a scoring chance. Absolutely brutal play by Semin. Just keeping his feet moving and at least staying with Lapierre would probably have prevented that goal. It's not like he doesn't have the foot speed to do it. This got me thinking about Matt Bradley's comments in the summer regarding Alex Semin and his work ethic, or lack thereof:

A lot of people were upset about how Bradley was talking about his former teammates, but I thought at the time it was a fair criticism and looking at clips like this, it's easy to see where Bradley was coming from. It appears as though he was exactly right. Semin, for the record, was also late coming back defensively on Higgins' 6-4 goal and Lapierre's 7-4 goal as well, though those two goals weren't his fault. He did show a bit of effort to get back on the 7-4 goal, though taking a light poke at Higgins stick as he went by instead of stopping up in front when he got there didn't make much sense either.... but I digress.

Wow, what a great week it's been so far. Pittsburgh looks to close it out strongly in attempt to inch closer to Buffalo and pull further away from Calgary. Pittsburgh hopes that it can re-create it's 101 night last night many times this season. We hope the work done in the Off Season is enough to finally unseat Buffalo from the top of the standings. It will be a daunting task as Buffalo is ridiculously deep in every area of its lineup. But Pittsburgh is a young run and gun team that has a couple of vets sprinkled into it, that hopes to make strides this year and leaps next year. Beware the mighty penguin!

Wow, what a great week it's been so far. Pittsburgh looks to close it out strongly in attempt to inch closer to Buffalo and pull further away from Calgary. Pittsburgh hopes that it can re-create it's 101 night last night many times this season. We hope the work done in the Off Season is enough to finally unseat Buffalo from the top of the standings. It will be a daunting task as Buffalo is ridiculously deep in every area of its lineup. But Pittsburgh is a young run and gun team that has a couple of vets sprinkled into it, that hopes to make strides this year and leaps next year. Beware the mighty penguin!

Archived