The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Off to a new start.

Guest Jimayo Oyamitch

Guest Jimayo Oyamitch

I've been working for the past several years as a security officer in the early morning. It's always the same routine every day: wake up in the evening, have dinner, work from dusk 'til dawn, and experience life in a generally unappealing way -- in the dark and often alone. I've pondered why this may be perhaps healthier and more attractive to some individuals, and I can clearly see people being able to think more clearly to themselves at night. I, however, have become sick of working the evening fshift.

The people around me do not help much either. They all believe I'm simply whining about my job and that we should all just stick with it. I can safely say that is utter BS as it's the same crap I've been hearing from my wife and associates for the past several years. I finally cracked and decided I needed a change of scenery, far from home, away from what I've become accustomed to this past decade. It's ruining me, and unless I leave, I am going to be driven insane. I consider myself lucky to have been so cool, calm and collected all my life; it's a trait I'm sure many of you would envy.

After all these years, I finally said "enough". I quit my job, packed my bags and am on the brink of moving to Mississauga to begin a brand new life. I don't care that I may be leaving behind loved ones or that my four offspring will live their youth not having their father around. All this wasted time living in the dark has left me burnt out, and though I could just as easily find a new job in a more local environment, I feel an urge to pursue a new life and a new challenge. Call me selfish or somewhat psychotic -- I believe I've always been a bit cold and heartless-- but this is what I plan to do for at least the next little while. I hate my old life and the people involved in it.

Here's to a new beginning:

whisky.jpg

I just became a security officer with a contract security company and I work night shifts from 7pm to 7 am. I know how you feel, if the job environment is not right for you, and your co workers suck, whats the point right? I've been though that. Luckily this new job I got is amazing, but I'll only be working there for a year.

Best of luck to you while you start out on your adventure, It's a big world out there with thousands of opportunities. Things will get better, trust me, you are taking the first big step.

Cheers!

- The Hornet :)

Tough call.

On one hand leaving your children is going to be hard for them to understand. Age dependent of course. How old are they?

On the other hand being bitter and resentful is no environment for your kids.

Is it selfish sure. But sometimes you have to give to yourself before you can really give to others.

Ideally you'd have sorted this out before having kids. Or at least find a way to deal with it now that doesn't invovle leaving.

I assume your relationship with you wife is quite broken? Maybe never really was in good nick?

Might I recommend you pick up the book No More Mr Nice Guy by Robert Glover. Sounds like your the guy this book was written for.

I've been working for the past several years as a security officer in the early morning. It's always the same routine every day: wake up in the evening, have dinner, work from dusk 'til dawn, and experience life in a generally unappealing way -- in the dark and often alone. I've pondered why this may be perhaps healthier and more attractive to some individuals, and I can clearly see people being able to think more clearly to themselves at night. I, however, have become sick of working the evening fshift.

The people around me do not help much either. They all believe I'm simply whining about my job and that we should all just stick with it. I can safely say that is utter BS as it's the same crap I've been hearing from my wife and associates for the past several years. I finally cracked and decided I needed a change of scenery, far from home, away from what I've become accustomed to this past decade. It's ruining me, and unless I leave, I am going to be driven insane. I consider myself lucky to have been so cool, calm and collected all my life; it's a trait I'm sure many of you would envy.

After all these years, I finally said "enough". I quit my job, packed my bags and am on the brink of moving to Mississauga to begin a brand new life. I don't care that I may be leaving behind loved ones or that my four offspring will live their youth not having their father around. All this wasted time living in the dark has left me burnt out, and though I could just as easily find a new job in a more local environment, I feel an urge to pursue a new life and a new challenge. Call me selfish or somewhat psychotic -- I believe I've always been a bit cold and heartless-- but this is what I plan to do for at least the next little while. I hate my old life and the people involved in it.

Here's to a new beginning:

whisky.jpg

Mississauga? WTF?

If you're leaving your life behind including your wife and kids move to a different country, even change your name.

Europe, Australia etc.

It's like someone living in PG, sick and tired of the crappy town and they decide to move to Edmonton.

Abandoning your 4 kids to pursue your own interests? Pretty self-serving if you ask me.

Cowardly is what I would call it. You are a father, you have a responsibility to your kids and to put their needs before yours. Four children is a lot, their mother would have a lot of work to do while this coward goes off to pursue his grand adventure in 'Mississagua'.

No, you made your bed, now you have to sleep in it. Don't like it, well, look back at the choices you made in your life and take some responsibility. Those were your choices, and your kids should not suffer for them. Plus, you can't accomplish in Vancouver what you want to accomplish in Missisagua? This is ridiculous. You joined CDC (I know you have been a member in the past) today just to tell us this pathetic story in hopes of what? A few good wishes? No, not from me. If you are not happy with your life, you need to do something about it, but you have to do something that isn't going to leave four children fatherless. Why are your needs more important than theirs? Why is it okay to hurt their lives to promote your own?

Pick up a newspaper, get on Craigslist, get your resume out, and start doing what millions of people have done before. Get a new job and change your life, while making the lives of your kids better in the process, not worse.

Think of what good you can do by improving your life here in Vancouver instead. You will be happier, and by being happier a better and more committed father. In that sense, you can improve lives other than your own. Don't take the easy way out.

EDIT: I couldn't help but note the subtitle to this thread, "Off on a grand adventure." You're wanting to go to Missasagua pal, way to dream big.

Great start...

i can't believe there are people here who aren't disgusted by this coward. grow a pair and be a father you spineless douchebag.

Abandoning your 4 kids to pursue your own interests? Pretty self-serving if you ask me.

Clearly his bags are packed with a whole lot of stupid.

Cowardly is what I would call it. You are a father, you have a responsibility to your kids and to put their needs before yours. Four children is a lot, their mother would have a lot of work to do while this coward goes off to pursue his grand adventure in 'Mississagua'.

sigh... when did this board lose its way?

edit for those who don't get it - this thread is clearly a joke!

I don't care that I may be leaving behind loved ones or that my four offspring will live their youth not having their father around.

I believe I've always been a bit cold and heartless

You speak the truth.

Why Mississauga? Did you throw a dart at a map of Canada and just get really unlucky?

Archived