The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

On 14/10/2016 at 11:37 AM, Caboose said:

Really? I can easily see United beating only Burnley. 

Yeah easily. I believe in United. They'll easily notch a few wins. Though Liverpool and Chelsea are going to be tough matches, once we win one of these matches and/or draw the other match, they'll be in great position to challenge for the title. It's early in the season so anything can happen. Go United!

Pretty stale game. Both teams having a tough time getting anything consistent going. United seem to be a bit flat footed atm. Liverpool gaining momentum slowly. 

Would be content with a draw at this point of the game. Would be genuinely shocked if United could score. Just not looking sharp out there. 

De Gea proved today why he is one of the best goalkeepers in the world today. I'm pretty stoked with a point but Ibra should've done better with Pogba's cross. Rather he headed near post than far post. Overall, United deserved the point but they certainly had the opportunity there to salvage all 3 points. Till Thursday for United with Europe League. Go United!

56 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

De Gea proved today why he is one of the best goalkeepers in the world today. I'm pretty stoked with a point but Ibra should've done better with Pogba's cross. Rather he headed near post than far post. Overall, United deserved the point but they certainly had the opportunity there to salvage all 3 points. Till Thursday for United with Europe League. Go United!

*facepalm* 

I agree, Ibra should have known no one for United would be making a run for the back post since they were all too busy ensuring the bus didn't lose its shape.

Good point to get at Anfield. Typical Mourinho game. Wasn't an exciting match by any means but liked the tactical discipline that United showed for 90 mins. Stuck to the gameplan in an important match which is nice to see. Result should get some momentum going heading into Thursday, then on the weekend against Chelsea, followed by City mid week. A loss today would've been a crushing defeat looking up at the schedule ahead.

Herrera making a name for himself. Ever since he's been inserted into the XI as the DM, the midfield uncertainty has come to a stop. MOTM today, and really gives a calming influence back there. Being 5 points off 1st and maintaining that 3 point gap between the Reds is a win.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

City looked terrible today, why didn't Pep bring in Aguero at HT??

idk, missed the game because of work. From what I've read it sounds like typical City vs. Barca; red card, not wearing the proper cleats, key players playing poorly.

19 minutes ago, otherwise said:

idk, missed the game because of work. From what I've read it sounds like typical City vs. Barca; red card, not wearing the proper cleats, key players playing poorly.

Honestly the first 5-10 minutes I thought City were going to steam roll Barca, Nolito was running rampant and Stones had a beautiful chance but I think the took the fought off the gas. 

5 hours ago, otherwise said:

It was a tight 1st half tactically other than Messi tucking home a easy finish. In the 2nd half, didn't really watch it but Messi just took control of the match, Bravo got sent off for a indirect hand ball and Barca took care of them from there on. 

2 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

It was a tight 1st half tactically other than Messi tucking home a easy finish. In the 2nd half, didn't really watch it but Messi just took control of the match, Bravo got sent off for a indirect hand ball and Barca took care of them from there on. 

mfw took control of the match

Messi was barely on the ball, unbelievable he scored 3.

City were astonishingly poor.

United played a solid match in Europe League today against RVP and his Fenerbahce side. All of the stands at Old Trafford gave him a deserving standing ovation after the consolation goal he scored. Anyway United dominated the first half with poor defending by Fenerbahce giving up two penalties with Pogba and Martial easily converting. Pogba added another magnificent strike to end the first half. Game was over at that point. Lingard scored his first European goal. Well played by United. Next up is the North London derby. Go United!

7 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

United played a solid match in Europe League today against RVP and his Fenerbahce side. All of the stands at Old Trafford gave him a deserving standing ovation after the consolation goal he scored. Anyway United dominated the first half with poor defending by Fenerbahce giving up two penalties with Pogba and Martial easily converting. Pogba added another magnificent strike to end the first half. Game was over at that point. Lingard scored his first European goal. Well played by United. Next up is the North London derby. Go United!

The North London derby is between Arsenal and Tottenham, not sure where either Chelsea or Manchester United fit in to that.

• Upvote 2