The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

5 hours ago, Captain Woodget said:

Good one. It's not about what I know, it's about my opinion - I saw Zidane play in more than 100 games, around 15 in the flesh, and never once saw him dominate a game like Messi, Ronaldo, Keane, Pirlo, Iniesta, Platini have done. That's a minute sample of players but from my own personal experience, he was hyped up to a point where if you didn't think Zidane was the best player for generation, you weren't 'cool'.

Don't get me wrong, he was a good player, but I wouldn't put him in my top 10 CMs of all time.

which is more likely: the entire footballing world is mistaking Zidane for being great, or your viewing experience actually reflects the TRUE Zidane, and he just didn't dominate a game? which is more likely: Zidane was an all-time great, or the all-time greats who praise him are actually just pretending to like him so they look "cool"? how is this even a real conversation 

I have no idea how someone can rate and praise Iniesta but not Zidane. Zidane is like the Barcelona midfield rolled into one player. he just never had that level of consistent team work around him. but he certainly dominated plenty of games - and he did so in multiple leagues, at multiple levels, and on the international stage too. did you not watch the 98 World Cup? or even read about it? Did you not watch the final? 

I have never seen Messi come close to even a fraction of that performance on an international stage. JUST SAYIN

On January 6, 2016 at 8:53 PM, Alain Vigneault said:

The U2 is Beckham for me.

in that he was one of the most popular in the world, and despite being unfashionable lately, was undeniably great for a long time?

certainly wasn't the best or anything, but Beckham was a fantastic player - his distracting beauty and chiseled physique and badboi tats just made it distracting to see, sometimes

• Upvote 1

who even is the best right sided midfielder in more contemporary time? when i think of great wingers or wide midfielders, I can think of a bunch of great left ones. Even when I google it the results are Figo, Ribery, Ljunberg, Robinho (lol!) - but these guys all primarily play(ed) on the left or centre, I believe. 

Figo was a great player, but I'd easily take Beckham over Ribery, Ljunberg, or Robinho 

I know George Best was a right winger too, but I certainly never saw him play.

11 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

who even is the best right sided midfielder in more contemporary time? when i think of great wingers or wide midfielders, I can think of a bunch of great left ones. Even when I google it the results are Figo, Ribery, Ljunberg, Robinho (lol!) - but these guys all primarily play(ed) on the left or centre, I believe. 

Figo was a great player, but I'd easily take Beckham over Ribery, Ljunberg, or Robinho 

Ronaldo played on the right when with United. But Beckham was the only right midfielder that could be considered as great in recent times. Maybe Bale for the future? And Ribery has mainly played on the left for a couple of years when healthy because Robben is on the right. 

1 hour ago, GLASSJAW said:

which is more likely: the entire footballing world is mistaking Zidane for being great, or your viewing experience actually reflects the TRUE Zidane, and he just didn't dominate a game? which is more likely: Zidane was an all-time great, or the all-time greats who praise him are actually just pretending to like him so they look "cool"? how is this even a real conversation 

I have no idea how someone can rate and praise Iniesta but not Zidane. Zidane is like the Barcelona midfield rolled into one player. he just never had that level of consistent team work around him. but he certainly dominated plenty of games - and he did so in multiple leagues, at multiple levels, and on the international stage too. did you not watch the 98 World Cup? or even read about it? Did you not watch the final? 

I have never seen Messi come close to even a fraction of that performance on an international stage. JUST SAYIN

in that he was one of the most popular in the world, and despite being unfashionable lately, was undeniably great for a long time?

Xavi stated that the best player in the world was Paul Scholes. Paul Scholes never received a single Ballon D'Or nomination. When Xavi - and plenty of others - say that an ugly, smallish, ginger kid from northern England is the best player in the world and he doesn't get a single nomination, that reeks of the footballing world cowtowing to media sensationalism and, most importantly, sponsors. Who wants to see Paul Scholes win an award when Zidane, Nedved, Figo are around? It wasn't hip to praise Scholes, nor Giggs, and so the beautiful cover models like Zidane won the trophies. Give me Paul Scholes, Roy Keane or Michael Carrick every single time (and I loathe United to the very root of my being).

Zidane floated through WC98 and, while he scored two in the final, he was unmarked by a Brazil team that would have been beaten by the Dog and Duck, they were shellshocked by the drama before the game. The beginning of his undeserved reputation was at this tournament. He had some great moments - that goal against Leverkusen in the CL final, the game against England where he scored twice in quick succession - but what player hasn't had moments like that? Paul Lambert kept him quiet in a CL final - Paul Lambert.

Didn't Ronaldinho play right side?

Messi did in his first couple of years IIRC too.

------------------

A shame for how bad El Shaarawy has fallen.  Looked like an absolute stud at Milan just 4 years ago and has now gone goalless at Monaco and is being linked to a loan plus option to buy transfer at Bournemouth.  No disrespect to Bournemouth but El Shaarawy was attracting the attention of both Manchesters, Madrid, and Barcelona just a few seasons prior.

Hope for his sake and Italy's that he can turn things around.

25 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Messi did in his first couple of years IIRC too.

------------------

A shame for how bad El Shaarawy has fallen.  Looked like an absolute stud at Milan just 4 years ago and has now gone goalless at Monaco and is being linked to a loan plus option to buy transfer at Bournemouth.  No disrespect to Bournemouth but El Shaarawy was attracting the attention of both Manchesters, Madrid, and Barcelona just a few seasons prior.

Hope for his sake and Italy's that he can turn things around.

Imo he is overrated for those solid few months of form he had in 12-13, he has not been the same since then but that is likely due to being made of glass.

I am curious to see who Liverpool start in their FA cup match tomorrow. Ibe, Coutinho, Lovern and Toure join Sturridge, Henderson, skrtel, sakho, origi, Ings, Gomez, Rossiter, with injuries. Luckily they're only playing Exeter city and I hope some of the squad is back against Arsenal and United next week! 

Hoping for an all Liverpool final in the capital one cup. Going to pick up some tickets if LFC make it! 

3 hours ago, Captain Woodget said:

Xavi stated that the best player in the world was Paul Scholes. Paul Scholes never received a single Ballon D'Or nomination. When Xavi - and plenty of others - say that an ugly, smallish, ginger kid from northern England is the best player in the world and he doesn't get a single nomination, that reeks of the footballing world cowtowing to media sensationalism and, most importantly, sponsors. Who wants to see Paul Scholes win an award when Zidane, Nedved, Figo are around? It wasn't hip to praise Scholes, nor Giggs, and so the beautiful cover models like Zidane won the trophies. Give me Paul Scholes, Roy Keane or Michael Carrick every single time (and I loathe United to the very root of my being).

Zidane floated through WC98 and, while he scored two in the final, he was unmarked by a Brazil team that would have been beaten by the Dog and Duck, they were shellshocked by the drama before the game. The beginning of his undeserved reputation was at this tournament. He had some great moments - that goal against Leverkusen in the CL final, the game against England where he scored twice in quick succession - but what player hasn't had moments like that? Paul Lambert kept him quiet in a CL final - Paul Lambert.

you can clearly see that he is marked in one goal, and in the other he was being marked until the person marking him fell over. but i guess that doesn't count, because Brazil weren't really trying, or whatever. 

as for Scholes, yeah he was great too. And Keane is my all-time favourite midfielder, so I'm not denying their greatness. I have watched these guys play all through my childhood. And Xavi was a big fan of Manchester United - he even praises Wayne Rooney who I personally think is quite sh-t and tremendously overrated. In fact, Zidane himself said Scholes was his "greatest opponent" or something.

but anyway, none of this has anything to do with anything anyone said. you said people who think Zidane was great are just pretending. then said "just my opinion" - your opinion about other people's opinions. my opinion is that your opinion of my opinion is wrong. so, i guess that ends the conversation.

1 hour ago, Alain Vigneault said:

I don't think so, but I didn't see him much (if at all) with Barcelona. with PSG and Brazil he was centre, but would pretty much be all over the field and between both wings (probably fuelled by cocaine) - I never watched Milan routinely, but I know he played left wing there for a while because Kaka was still being touted as the next big thing while there, and he had the centre attacking mid role down

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

Ryan Giggs.... Lefty as well...

Robben plays on the right...as far as I remember.

Stoickov and Michael Laudrup great wingers.

But the best of the lot is Ronaldo...

Edited by spook007

1 hour ago, ReggieBush said:

Messi?

I forgot Messi playing on the right side again. I think he could play anywhere he wants in the front three and the way Barça play so fluidly he isn't really playing right wing. More of a Striker/Attacking Mid/Winger/Football God in general.