The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

9 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Knows it's just game 1 but was for the most pleased by the performance. 1st half was a bit slow but 2nd half United came out firing.

Fellaini was very exceptional and JM will come to love him. Good tactical option to have in your squad. Rooney was the only average player but he ended up getting a goal. Martial was a bit sloppy but picked it up and will need time to get a hang of being consistent.

That defense however. My God was it spot on. Bailly is a beast unleashed it seems. Man of the match but again, only 1 game. If I recall correctly Darmian was MOTM for last seasons opener and we know how he ended up losing all confidence under LVG as the season went on...but yea, back line was superb. Bailly is definitely a no-nonsense player which we haven't had for years - reminiscent of Vidic. Valencia is looking like he's in the best shape of his life, he and Bailly on that right side will be a nightmare for opposing players. Shaw is back and was solid all around, and Blind was quite the surprise.  Very intelligent player in general and he's always been known to compliment others well and played a heck of a game. Unfortunate circumstance for Smalling being suspended and it'll be tough for him back in me thinks. Blind-Smalling will probably be a partnership committee splitting games/time.

...José definitely knows how to sort a defense out, I'll give him that! It was only Bournesmouth but they beat us last season.

Really liked the mixture of players this game. Bailly-Blind with a balance of aggressive and calm. Herrera was composed and the game slows down for him when he has the ball; sucks he or Schneiderlin will be coming off the bench when Pogba returns since Rooney will be starting inevitably, at least for the time being. Forwards were actually putting pressure and bullying defenders at times. Players were confident and the plays they made were decisive and not halfassed like they've been for the past 3 years. The best away performance in a long long time. Dominant game and I couldn't believe they never let down after giving up the 1st goal...this was LVG, everyone would panic, hang their heads low, and boom goes the dynamite. Can't wait until October comes around...some of the strongest competition will be scheduled then and it'll really be a testament to see if United are top dogs or not.

Bailly was exceptional... remains to be seen if he can keep this level against better opposition, but looks to be a new Vidic, with playing abilities. Fellaini played well as well, but fear his days may be numbered... Main reason for Fellainis inclusion are lack of height in defence with Smalling injured. But yes all in all an encouraging start to season and most pleasing is the more direct style than under Van Ghastly's boring sidewards sidewards backwards sidewards style....

• Upvote 1

Well looks like better side of Manchester has qualified for Champs league.

Man City absolutely destroyed the FC Steaua București (lol who) 5-0 in Romania in the first leg of the champs league qualifier.

Aguero with a hat-trick AND missed 2 PKs in the game :lol:

^Lmao. I can't fracking believe that actually happened. Thought it must've surely been a photoshop :lol::lol::lol: 

...and RM are supposedly trying to get Alba from Bayern. €80M is what they've reportedly offered + for him to play CM. Don't get why Bayern would accept that especially after seeing what Stones went for. Alba is 10x the player he is and not even entered his prime. Not to mention a club like Bayern has an abundance of money as is and don't have to worry about offloading players to make up some cash. I don't even get why RM would want the worlds best LB to be playing CM anyways lol. I mean if it's Alba's desire sure but there's a reason why he hasn't demanded that from Bayern or requested out.

Nice to see RM in desperation mode for a change...hope they throw money at Yaya at the end of the window or something just cuz lol

4 hours ago, Tanev said:

Well looks like better side of Manchester has qualified for Champs league.

Man City absolutely destroyed the FC Steaua București (lol who) 5-0 in Romania in the first leg of the champs league qualifier.

Aguero with a hat-trick AND missed 2 PKs in the game :lol:

What's the champs league?

• Upvote 1

Brilliant :lol::lol: 

...hard on for Zlatan is real. There's not a single CB in the league honestly that is capable of handling the strength he opposes. Wes Morgan couldn't do anything and he's a flipping truck! Kompany is probably the only one who'd be able to match his physicality but that day will never come since the injuries he's 

Physical beast would be an understand for Ibra. He simply torments defenders and makes their life a living hell. A lot made of his age but he's arguably the fittest player United have and in football in general. Rarely ever been injured in his career as well. Just the way he can will himself to spots he wants to go and score goals is world class. You could see that flare after his free kick was stopped against Bourenmouth. Became a beast unleashed with his high flying kung fu style and it's the perfect example of what seperates him from others, showcasing that rare trait he can flip on at his hearts desire.

His desperation to get on the ball is fracking beautiful, absolute mad man lunatic. Pretty much this generations Cantona and he has that big personality to match it too. The ultimate team player. He'll run through a brick wall for his team. Only thing is we'll only have him for a couple of seasons (maybe). So sad we couldn't get him earlier but I guess it's better late than never. Will definitely make games versus West Ham less harmful for the sake of United lol. STILL CAN'T BELIEVE WE GOT FRACKING IBRA, THE ABSOLUTE DON!!!!!!!!! :frantic::frantic::frantic: 

• Upvote 3

British media can be quite entertaining sometimes.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11679/10540573/manchester-city-goalkeeper-joe-hart-open-to-move-abroad-sky-sources

Sky sources understand the England international will leave City before the close of the summer transfer window after being left on the substitutes' bench for the opening two matches of the new season by manager Pep Guardiola. 

Sevilla and Borussia Dortmund are understood to be interested in Hart, while Everton are also monitoring the 29-year-old's situation with Ronald Koeman keen to strengthen his goalkeeping options before the August 31 deadline.

Pass. :lol:

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:
.I like how City have spent over €200M trying to find a CB to replace Boateng ever since he left :P 

Meanwhile United are breaking the transfer record to sign their own academy products and Pique is one of the most decorated center halves in the past few years. 

• Upvote 1

Benteke for £27m. Football needs to be shut down. Palace would see better return on investment if they spent that £27m on providing food and water to 50 African villages for the next 30 years.