The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

On 1/22/2023 at 12:16 PM, UnkNuk said:

25 goals in 19 games.  Scoring nearly a goal and a half per game.  10 goals clear of second.  And, meanwhile, Arsenal's top scorer - Martin Ødegaard - has 8.  ::D

To quote Ødegaard himself: "We don't care about City"

It will be a great loss if Norway fail to qualify for Euros.  Him and Haaland should be amazing.  Does the national team as a whole just suck?

On 1/22/2023 at 3:16 PM, UnkNuk said:

25 goals in 19 games.  Scoring nearly a goal and a half per game.  10 goals clear of second.  And, meanwhile, Arsenal's top scorer - Martin Ødegaard - has 8.  ::D

image.thumb.png.7bf95bd22f1f88285889b04c51992297.png

Team results >>>> individual records.

I do love that Haaland is dominating and making every "analyst" look foolish because they didn't think his game could translate to the "big, bad, elite" premier league.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

So much for the FA Cup.

I thought it was kind of a 'meh' game to watch.

Anyways, on to win the Premier League title and Europa!

I think with the fixture congestion, being out of the domestic cup comps might be a blessing in disguise.  Especially considering they have 2 league matches against City to come.  First one on the 15th.

• Cheers 2

And in other Arsenal news:

"Arsenal star Gabriel Martinelli has penned a new long-term four-and-a-half year deal with the Gunners to extend his stay at the Emirates until the summer of 2027."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/martinelli-arsenal-new-contract-arteta-29119766?utm_source=mirror_newsletter&utm_campaign=arsenal_fc_newsletter2&utm_medium=email&pure360.trackingid=d083d551-a419-44bb-9a23-04c26d4d9b9c

:towel:

• Thanks 1

The 2023 Club World Cup game between the Seattle Sounders and Al Ahly of Egypt is on Saturday at 9am.

Apparently the game will be televised through something called FIFA+, a free streaming service.  A link can be found here:

https://www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/watch/5ilVFu2aw6LokJgkNKIoUU?cid=(p_go-box)(c_FIFAPlus)(sc_archive)(ssc_)(da_)(co_)(cc_)&s_cid=(co_)(cc_)&c=(c_FIFAPlus)(sc_archive)(ssc_)(cc_)&pid=(p_go-box)(ch_)(t_)

Should Seattle win, they would then go on to face Real Madrid, no less!

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/club-world-cup-seattle-sounders-to-face-egypt-s-al-ahly-in-round-two

I have mixed feelings about all of this.  As a Whitecap fan, it's hard to see Seattle have so much success.  But it would be cool to see an MLS team do well in this competition.

Edited by UnkNuk
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Just noticed that Arsenal is playing Everton on Saturday at 4:15am.

The game was originally scheduled back in September but was postponed.

I have trap game vibes from this one.  Played anytime prior to Frank the Tank's sacking, and I see a Gunners win.  Now, I see this as a match that Everton can use to turn their season around and escape yet again from relegation.  

I'm hoping its not.

• Cheers 1