The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

LOCK/DISREGARD

John Garret's moustache

Hansen is 25, and just finished his first full season in the NHL and what a season it was!

82 games played

9 goals

20 assists

+13

only 32 penalty minutes all year.

he had 9 goals in 47 games the year before and 6 goals in 55 games in his rookie campaign, not counting the first years 5 games as a callup. So he is coming into his fourth real year in the league, and his second full season if he stays healthy...what can we expect?

Well he has certainly helped to define the defensively responsible third line, which is exactly what his coach wants, so he will see ice time, plenty of it. Oh did I mention he had:

3 goals

6 assists

+7

18 penalty minutes

in 25 playoff games most recently?

Mr Consistancy by the way: his .35 ppg regular season translated into a .36 ppg playoffs. Wow.

So what can we expect? I think it is very reasonable to say he could pot another 20 points as his curve is still on the upward trajectory, he has earned his icetime, he is healthy, and the team will have the confidence in him that will let him grow. Is this what they call a sophomore year? his fourth? not sure...but all signs point to growth for Jannik but I will say 40-50points if he keeps the same role on the third all year. For some reason though I think he will break out and easily beat my 40 point floor, and likely go over the 50 point ceiling. He is one of the handful of players that I am thinking will have career years THIS time around.

When No Hands Hansen trains his hands to catch up to his feet, he will score 40-60 pts /year.

Last year i wanted him traded, but when he showed us his shutdown ability, I really liked him in that groove.

Even playing that role, if he can convert the many flubbed chances, his pt per game will rise. I really liked his effort and performance last year.

He is a solid 3rd liner at this time and if his hands do ever catch up to his feet he can be an effective 2nd liner.

JH

was one of our best players in the run last year. Did well i am sure he walked away fully confident that he has what it takes to play at a high level in this league. I believe this could be a break out year for him - not 50 points, but close to 30 is not unreasonable if the ice time is enough.

He people think Euros don't play with an edge then they haven't seen Hansen play.

<br />Isn't he at 1.3 mill/year?<br /><br />If he gets a shot with Sedins or Kesler he could hit 50, but playing on the 3rd line he wont.  Depends on if AV wants to try him in an offensive role or keep him playing that shutdown 3rd liner with Maholtra that has made him such a popular player with the Canucks and fans.  He has the potential, you could see it in the SCF when he got bumped up with the Sedins he was able to find holes in the D to get open simply because he has that extremely quick first step and explosion.<br />

At first, i thought the notion was ridiculous. But then i started learning things about the 'magic 4th year' in a players' development.

A lot of players improve by leaps and bounds for their 4th season. Esp. if their franchise is solid. Basically, teams need to find out if they're the real deal or not, since their entry-level deal is up. So they start giving the player some more responsibilities.

A couple obstacles for Hansen though. First, the amount of competition around for a top-6 spot. Second, our history with players banging out tremendous 4th seasons is not there. Heck, just take a look at Raymond. He folded like a tent, then got severely injured.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. Hansen has speed and some grit. Now he just needs some goals. If that happens he'll be one of the best 3rd line wingers in the game. Boo-ya!

Hansen is valuable to this team.

He was one of our most consistent performers. (Albeit, in a checking role)

He's got speed, and an underrated passing ability.

His hand's aren't there yet, but its not entirely impossible that he will start to develop a scoring touch (ala Kesler, Burrows)

50 is a stretch, but not unimaginable.

Hansen is valuable to this team.

He was one of our most consistent performers. (Albeit, in a checking role)

He's got speed, and an underrated passing ability.

His hand's aren't there yet, but its not entirely impossible that he will start to develop a scoring touch (ala Kesler, Burrows)

50 is a stretch, but not unimaginable.

The resemblance of playing style between Burrows and Hansen is remarkable. Burrows works hard along the boards and is first on the forecheck. He throws hits and makes a B-line to the dirty areas. He also uses his quickness and agility to gain separation from defenders. Hansen also works hard along the boards and is always first on the forecheck. As shown in the playoffs, he throws his weight around quite nicely and very often, and likes to hang around the dirty areas. Hansen has tremendous speed, quickness, and agility.

The only thing that is keeping Hansen from becoming the European version of Burrows is that he doesn't have "The Move." You know, Burrows' automatic forehand-backhand-top-shelf-goal move. Once he gets one we'll have another 20-30 goal scorer on the team.

• 8 months later...

Archived