The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

** You Mad ** - PS3 NHL12 EASHL Club

Tanev

Sorry for DCing on you guys last time I was playing on Chris's account, and apologies to all those breakaways where I couldn't skate fast enough and got poked. The account I used from Chris has no boosts so I was only a 80 speed/accel skater with 75 deking lol, plus it was hard to turn at times.

The things I noticed about your club is the team defense. I know it's frustrating to lose right now but you only learn when you do lose. You'll never know what's wrong with the how you play until those losses come piling up.

I can see why D-Money is often criticized on this team. When you play defense, the LD and RD need to stay on their sides. I often see D-Money chasing to the right or the left side. You need to stay on your side because if you chase, it leaves the man on your side open. Remember when Patrick Sharp had that cross crease chance vs Luongo in OT last year in game 7? It's because Bieksa started chasing to Hamhuis's side, and he left Sharp all open. You need to trust your teammates, or else everything opens up. If they score on the other person's side, it's not your fault. But if you chase and they score on your side, then everyone is pointing at you.

The other thing I noticed is Lancepaul (WillyFox?). He's usually a winger I'm assuming because he's pretty offensive, and I notice the positions he goes to in the offensive zone. I suggest you guys use him on right wing, I think he would do a lot better at that position because of the area he goes to in the o-zone. Him and RNH have a lot of chemistry cycling behind the opposition's net. Center is a difficult position to play. Most players don't play the position correctly. Kanucks25 is a great center because he's defensively minded. He stays back a lot and he knows his role is to help out the defense. It's not about points, it's about the win. When defensemen get the puck, don't skate out of the zone. The Center needs to give an option for the defenseman to pass to. Those long stretch passes don't work against good teams who cover the neutral zone well. Let the center make the decision with the puck.

When cheese goals goes in your net, it's not always the defense's fault by the way. Although some defense can stop them, a good forward with great puck handling skills can take advantage of an average defenseman. The Center and the wingers need to backcheck harder, and when you see a defenseman chip in, it's up to one of the forwards to cover him. If you notice their forwards skating into your zone at high speed, it's difficult for certain defenseman to contain them. This is where the 3 forwards need to come back and cover the neutral zone for outlets. You want to slow down their forwards so your defense can poke/lift/hit them. Good back checkers frustrate a lot of forwards on the other team because nothing can really be generated off the rush.

Also to D-Money, don't slap every single time you have the puck. I notice you don't one-time but I heard that you don't know how? Sometimes taking the shot is good, rebound shots are also good, but if you want to be a cycle team, you have to pass back to the forward sometimes. It really depends on how the other team plays though, you want to see the system they're using and counter it with a different strategy. Also, don't pinch in so much. If you don't get the puck, it's a 2v1 going the other way. I guess it all comes down to experience and anticipation but you'll probably get it eventually. Also when a forward is at the point and you happen to receive a bad pass, wrist it right away instead of slapping it. If you slap and get poked, you're stuck in your animation and the other team will get a breakaway.

I'm sure most of you are wondering why I'm even making this long post. You can ask Wiggles :emot-parrot: I didn't want to because I feel like I'm criticizing players that aren't even on my team and that seems unfair.

Oh and Wiggles, don't force cross crease off the rush that much. It works vs bad teams, but it's just a turnover against good teams. Get the puck deep, cycle it or control it. You don't want to turn it over off the rush because then the defenseman are skating up and if the puck goes the other way, odd man rush. If you contain the puck until everyone gets into the offensive zone, the turnover won't be as bad because you'll have 4-5 guys back.

I also think the team as a whole need to work on passing. Being able to pass is probably one of the most important parts of the game. If outlets are constantly missed, forwards need to chase the puck off the rush.

You guys are 51-12-5 this season. You know that's actually a good record right since you guys just started. Don't point fingers and break up a good team, no point making everyone not want to play. Just help each other out and you'll eventually get to where you want to be. Remember when you lose, it's a team loss. Everyone could have played better. If your defense isn't playing well in a particular game and gives up 5 goals, it's your job as forwards to score 6. If the forwards can't score, then it's up to the defense to step it up and prevent goals.

When we expanded our team back in NHL 10, we had to work on a lot of things. Everyone was new so it required a lot of teaching. Integra250 used to make a lot of mistakes as well on defense but now he's one of our best defensemen in our team. Even our team needs a lot of work on the details of the game. Passing is still a problem because not everything is tape to tape yet. There are still forces from time to time. Better decisions with the puck and etc.

Good luck with your team! Remember, team defense is more important that scoring goals. The saying is defense wins championships ;) Take a look at Washington.

I agree with Wil's essay post :P You guys need the C to play more of a defensive role than offensive.

To what i see the one time i played with UMAD, iBlake doesnt like C to back check hard as i was focusing on D when i played C, They want the C to only play behind the net because it is how they play , but when i do that , i usually get trapped behind the net after a CC pass or a quick shot without a winger covering my spot , i think they need to have more go to play than just the offensive zone tie up play as well :P

This team can score though :)

I agree with Wil's essay post :P You guys need the C to play more of a defensive role than offensive.

To what i see the one time i played with UMAD, iBlake doesnt like C to back check hard as i was focusing on D when i played C, They want the C to only play behind the net because it is how they play , but when i do that , i usually get trapped behind the net after a CC pass or a quick shot without a winger covering my spot , i think they need to have more go to play than just the offensive zone tie up play as well :P

This team can score though :)

Just to add onto Wil's long post for the D on UMAD:

Don't be afraid to ask for help. If the opposition is constantly rushing 3 forwards on the breakout or consistently has 3 guys down low in the forecheck, ask a winger or a center to be the 3rd man high/someone to stay back during the breakout. The key for the D to have good chemistry with the forwards is to communicate with them. Something simply like "they have 3 guys forechecking us, we (the D) need one of you guys (the forwards) to stay back so we can do clean outlets" works wonders.

Just to add onto Wil's long post for the D on UMAD:

Don't be afraid to ask for help. If the opposition is constantly rushing 3 forwards on the breakout or consistently has 3 guys down low in the forecheck, ask a winger or a center to be the 3rd man high/someone to stay back during the breakout. The key for the D to have good chemistry with the forwards is to communicate with them. Something simply like "they have 3 guys forechecking us, we (the D) need one of you guys (the forwards) to stay back so we can do clean outlets" works wonders.

Archived