The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks being held back

Erik Karlsson

AV treats men like men - nothing wrong with that. He also doesn't tolerare half-assed efforts, and doesn't pick favorites, but he is not an intolerant, ballbusting Mike Keenan type. There is only one guy on the team who needs to be 'grabbed by the reigns' and I'm not going there. The personality of the team suits AV's style. He adapted his coaching style to the type of team Gillis wanted to build. He has done a great job. The impatience here is unwarranted. Blaming AV for the SCF loss is ridiculous. Get over it - he is here to stay.

nucks4cup28 - "Aaron Rome ring a bell?"

No. I like Alberts and would like to see him play more, but I don't think AV's decisions have anything at all to do with favortism - and Elvis15 wrote a blog about this - worth considering.

Also, I agree with you Wilbur. All this Cody ice time talk is nauseating and fed by unsubstantiated Gallagher obsession and anxieties.

If he won't, I'll gladly provide words for his mouth.The system is called passive agressive.You see this kind of thing in basketball a lot. It's just strategic defensive containment at the expense of physical punishment and some good 'ol elbow grease and oompahWhatever it is that's going on right now. It better get fixed before the playoffs. How we're still hanging around 1st place is amazing considering how crapulent we've played the last few weeks. Heck. Maybe Bitz will be some magical mental catalyst for the team.. (weirder things have happened)

I don't know what you are talking about by saying we have fallen to the middle of a playoff spot pack this year. We are in 4th place in the league and second in our conference!! The point separation is 4pts in league and 4 in conference. This is hardly middle of the pack stuff you are talking about. Everyone pressing the panic button? Detroit has proven themselves year in year out to be one of the elite teams in the league I would expect them to win at least half of the games against Vancouver. If last game was an indicator of anything it is that Detroit is back again this year, their puck posession game is second to none.

The winningest coach in Canucks history is a bit of a misleading stat, he's the only coach in Canucks history to have Luongo along with what is arguably the strongest roster from top to bottom. Now, along with Luongo he has Schneider, giving what I would consider the one of the top 3 goaltending teams in the league. that along with 2 league scoring leaders on one team...

If Crawford had Luongo instead of Cloutier, AV would never have gotten a job here.

The fact that the PP is so great, but ISN'T run by AV is an interesting fact. The part of the Canucks game which carries the team quite often (too often in my view) is orchestrated by Newell, not AV. AV handles 5 on 5 play though and with this roster we're 8th in even strength goals for and 7th in goals against.

For comparison, Boston has 20% more goals at even strength than we do and gives up 15% less...

My view is simply that to win a cup, the team will still need to be stronger at even strength than it is, can AV make that happen?

AV is doing the best he can, given his capabilities, and the talent available to him. But, there are continuing issues that still need to be addressed, including:

- An inability to "play" for the full 60+ minutes

- Too many costly turnovers that leave Lu or Schneids facing shots they have very poor odds of stopping

- Making too much hard work of scoring

- Too few shots on goal

- Missing a top line that can skate into the attacking zone through centre ice and create dangerous scoring chances

- A system that relies too heavily on a perimeter style cycling the puck game, that the Sedin's do very well. But, when they are off their game, or being shut down by a Boston, Detroit, or Chicago, the Canucks are all at sea.

Added to this, the players themselves have to take responsibility for their commitment to the game both on and off the ice. Nobody has to pursuade a Gretzky, Crosby, Stamkos to attain the skills necessary to play the game at the highest level, or when to get themselves physically and mentally pumped for a game. They just do it. Nobody tells the Red Wings how to be the best, they just are the best, because they have developed that degree of pride and professionalism, individually and as a team.

The Canucks have begun to develop a number of these attributes. But, they are still very much a work in progress. Maybe we are all a little over-anxious to see them as an even better team than last season, given how close they were to winning the SCF. But, in reality, that is not going to happen overnight, unless they make some very astute trades. And when you trade for something of value, you always have to give up something of value.

The Canucks are not being held back right now, so much as they have reached a bit of a plateau.

Fact: The Canucks are playing like crap

Fact: They would have had a chance in neither of the two previous games if it weren't for spectacular goaltending

There might be a problem.

Fact: We don't know who to blame because we have no access to the dressing room. Our finger pointing is mere speculation.

BRING BACK THE MINUS BUTTON!

Terrible OP. A team with a bad coach does not win despite the coach, they fall apart. The Canucks, while having bad moments, have never completely collapsed, they've always held on through the thick and thin as a team. If you think that the only reason he has a job is because the players make him look good, just think about how many of these players struggled before they were with him (Sedins, Burrows was just a grinder, Higgins, Lappiere). And new players often do well fitting in with the other players. And yes we have an extremely talented roster, and maybe they do a lot of self coaching, but that is the style that AV has, and the players seemingly respond to it.

Sure as any coach he has flaws, but to say the Canucks would do better with almost anybody else is crazy.

A-Bad_Idea.jpg

The winningest coach in Canucks history is a bit of a misleading stat, he's the only coach in Canucks history to have Luongo along with what is arguably the strongest roster from top to bottom. Now, along with Luongo he has Schneider, giving what I would consider the one of the top 3 goaltending teams in the league. that along with 2 league scoring leaders on one team...

If Crawford had Luongo instead of Cloutier, AV would never have gotten a job here.

The fact that the PP is so great, but ISN'T run by AV is an interesting fact. The part of the Canucks game which carries the team quite often (too often in my view) is orchestrated by Newell, not AV. AV handles 5 on 5 play though and with this roster we're 8th in even strength goals for and 7th in goals against.

For comparison, Boston has 20% more goals at even strength than we do and gives up 15% less...

My view is simply that to win a cup, the team will still need to be stronger at even strength than it is, can AV make that happen?

Exactly, i don't understand what AV is doing right now that fans think he is so good, People always bring up how the ice time Hodgson is getting right now is fine because Kesler and Henrik had the same amount when they were in their rookie season, Hodgson is on pace for 50 points way more than either of those two at that age, and he's clearly a lot more solid then Henrik was at the same age. He's scored in clutch situations a lot this season, why not give him some more ice time? Atleast when the twins or Kesler are playing bad. This will also get him more ready for the playoffs which we are definately going to need if we want to win the cup once the Sedins or Kesler gets shut down.

I love how the AV hate threads never can name a specific reason why he isn't getting the job done. Or how he is getting outcoached.

It's either "he doesn't have them ready to play" or "gets outcoached all the time" or "doesn't know how to use his players".

Tell me specifically how he is getting outcoached and I'll listen. No one has yet to do that.

AV is a good regular season Coach .. once the playoffs come, and the other team gets to adapt to our system, AV, or the players, seem unable to adapt, or re-adapt, to changes the other team makes .. I have yet to see AV try and adapt as he is right now .. by switching up lines .. having alternate PP formations or patterns of puck entry ..

Archived