The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Scouts

Patrick Jane

Mike Gillis took over just prior to the 2008 draft - only 3 seasons ago. It's idiotic to expect a regular roster player on a championship-calibre team where there is maybe one or two roster spots to fight for for. Also, it's idiotic to expect prospects to develop into a roster player under 3 years.

Cody Hodgson - played 8 games in 2010-2011; rookie in 2011-2012

Yann Sauve - played 5 games in 2010-2011

Undrafted

Chris Tanev - played 29 games in 2010-2011; 4 games in 2011-2012

Up and coming

Eddie Lack - Undrafted

Kevin Connauton - 2009 3rd round pick

Jordan Schroeder - 2009 1st round pick

Anton Rodin - 2009 2nd round pick

Bill Sweatt - 2007 2nd round pick (CHI)

Joe Cannata - 2009 6th round pick

Nicklas Jensen - 2011 1st round pick

Joseph LaBate - 2011 4th round pick

Frank Corrado - 2011 5th round pick

Patrick McNally - 2010 4th round pick

David Honzik - 2011 3rd round pick

What is Sauve's problem that he never is mentioned as a contender for the Canuck's d-core? A stay at home d-man with size who plays the right side I believe. Cannot watch the Wolves so no idea other than stats and summaries on how he is doing. Is he progressing?

What is Sauve's problem that he never is mentioned as a contender for the Canuck's d-core? A stay at home d-man with size who plays the right side I believe. Cannot watch the Wolves so no idea other than stats and summaries on how he is doing. Is he progressing?

They were talking a little bit about the draft on Team 1040 this afternoon. They were poking some fun at the Calgary scouting. They said that they haven't had a decent draft or even decent first round pick in like 15 years. I think they mentioned that only one of their draft picks has played 400 games in the NHL in that span. Even their franchise player (Iginla) wasn't drafted by them. So if you are going to complain about Canucks scouting, at least know that they aren't the worst. They aren't the best...but still not the worst. We at least have a very strong core that was drafted and groomed by the Canucks system.

The Canucks are good at drafting/discovering top 6 talent but not so much lower end talent.

Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, Burrows, Hodgson, Raymond, Hansen, Edler, Bieksa, Schneider are all top 6 level forwards, top 4 defenseman, or starting goalies (in turns of calibre).

Outside of Hansen maybe being considered a career bottom 6 player (and still has better numbers than a lot of top 6 guys on weaker teams) pretty much the entire core of the Canucks are draft picks.

The only non-Canuck draft pick who we would really miss if they left is Hamhuis and maybe Luongo (but Schneider/Lack would probably step-in no problem).

Out of the last 13 drafts the only player to stick around the league as a bottom end player is Mike Brown. So even though our draftee games played is probably the lowest over that period we have quality of quantity.

Over the last 5 draft years, Detroit draft picks have combined for 1 goal in 21 games. Go back 7 years and that number is 83 goals over 821 games. So we aren't the only team that has not has much recent success.

In comparison, over the past 5 years the Canuck draft picks have combined for 15 goals in 67 games and over the past 7 years 138 goals in 569 games.

I think any collection of picks could be considered a successful draft year:

- 1 top line/top 2/starting goalie

- 2 solid contributors (2nd line, 3/4 defenseman)

- 1 solid contributor, 2 NHL regulars (bottom 6, bottom pairing, backup goalie)

The Canucks are good at drafting/discovering top 6 talent but not so much lower end talent.

Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, Burrows, Hodgson, Raymond, Hansen, Edler, Bieksa, Schneider are all top 6 level forwards, top 4 defenseman, or starting goalies (in turns of calibre).

Outside of Hansen maybe being considered a career bottom 6 player (and still has better numbers than a lot of top 6 guys on weaker teams) pretty much the entire core of the Canucks are draft picks.

The only non-Canuck draft pick who we would really miss if they left is Hamhuis and maybe Luongo (but Schneider/Lack would probably step-in no problem).

Out of the last 13 drafts the only player to stick around the league as a bottom end player is Mike Brown. So even though our draftee games played is probably the lowest over that period we have quality of quantity.

Over the last 5 draft years, Detroit draft picks have combined for 1 goal in 21 games. Go back 7 years and that number is 83 goals over 821 games. So we aren't the only team that has not has much recent success.

In comparison, over the past 5 years the Canuck draft picks have combined for 15 goals in 67 games and over the past 7 years 138 goals in 569 games.

I think any collection of picks could be considered a successful draft year:

- 1 top line/top 2/starting goalie

- 2 solid contributors (2nd line, 3/4 defenseman)

- 1 solid contributor, 2 NHL regulars (bottom 6, bottom pairing, backup goalie)

• 3 weeks later...

I've been saying for years the Canucks should fire Delorme. However I know Gradin has a lot of input and he's found some gems for us.

We only have 5 amateur scouts. The Flyers have 13. This might explain why the Flyers find good players in later rounds of the draft.

The only downside is the Flyers can't scout a good goalie. :)

Our scouting staff is here:

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=39884

I've been saying for years the Canucks should fire Delorme. However I know Gradin has a lot of input and he's found some gems for us.

We only have 5 amateur scouts. The Flyers have 13. This might explain why the Flyers find good players in later rounds of the draft.

The only downside is the Flyers can't scout a good goalie. :)

Our scouting staff is here:

http://canucks.nhl.c...ge.htm?id=39884

Archived