The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kelowna Rockets (WHL)

Rate this topic

Sigh

Again.

I am not harping on Benning.

Like you said he's had one draft

But this organization, and please do follow along. Consistently misses talent in their own back yard in Victoria Vancouver and Kelowna.

On a consistent and regular basis.

Period. That is not an arguable statement. It is not an indictment against benning (yet)

It is just a fact.

ok since i think you missed it

Benning didn't draft a rocket. The regime before him didn't draft a rocket

The regime before him drafted a psuedo rocket in edler.

This organization has completely ignored amazing talent in it's own back yard since...well forever.

Keith, Weber, Severson, Bowey, Bloodhoof, Gallagher, Lucic and so much more. Perrenial all star talent between the rockets and Giants alone. Without mentioning the PG cougars or the Kamloops blazers or Benn brothers.

I did not single out Benning. I singled out the entire organization for not drafting from within the WHL in BC basically at all, like ever

and drafted no rockets last year as the previous gm drafted none and the gm prior sort of drafted one.

Been harping on this org to draft rockets for a decade it isnt JUST Benning.

You did not single out Benning but you did criticize. I'm just as pissed as everybody else on here that guys like Weber, Keith, Lucic, Gallagher, Benn, etc have been passed on (especially since none of those I named are first rounders) but I'm hoping that's corrected going forward. JB reportedly spent a lot of time personally scouting the WHL so I'm thinking it might be. Cut the condescending tone and reread what you said before you patronize me.

You did not single out Benning but you did criticize. I'm just as pissed as everybody else on here that guys like Weber, Keith, Lucic, Gallagher, Benn, etc have been passed on (especially since none of those I named are first rounders) but I'm hoping that's corrected going forward. JB reportedly spent a lot of time personally scouting the WHL so I'm thinking it might be. Cut the condescending tone and reread what you said before you patronize me.

So.

Where exactly did I criticize only Benning again?

This is not a condescending tone. I say again as a stated fact. The Vancouver Canucks as an organization have flat out ignored their own back yard for...well forever.

The fans of this forum see talent and scream for it on draft day when this organization goes an entirely different direction. It has happened for years.

You can play the pity me emo card all you want. If you feel as though repeating the truth is condescending. I can't help you.

Again, not patronizing, not condescending repeating a fact.

Edited by Warhippy

So.

Where exactly did I criticize only Benning again?

This is not a condescending tone. I say again as a stated fact. The Vancouver Canucks as an organization have flat out ignored their own back yard for...well forever.

The fans of this forum see talent and scream for it on draft day when this organization goes an entirely different direction. It has happened for years.

You can play the pity me emo card all you want. If you feel as though repeating the truth is condescending. I can't help you.

Again, not patronizing, not condescending repeating a fact.

Read my post and you'll see that I said you did not single out Benning, but did include him in your criticism of the management's failure to draft WHL'ers.

The "please follow along" comments are definitely patronizing and condescending, and again I don't appreciate the comments at the end of your post. Bottom line here- we're agreeing on the failure of the organization to draft WHL'ers, but I'm saying I'd like to reserve judgement on JB in that regard. Reread your posts and you'll see that you did, in fact, group Benning in with that group.

Read my post and you'll see that I said you did not single out Benning, but did include him in your criticism of the management's failure to draft WHL'ers.

The "please follow along" comments are definitely patronizing and condescending, and again I don't appreciate the comments at the end of your post. Bottom line here- we're agreeing on the failure of the organization to draft WHL'ers, but I'm saying I'd like to reserve judgement on JB in that regard. Reread your posts and you'll see that you did, in fact, group Benning in with that group.

I have to group Benning in.

He's the GM of the canucks. And regardless of the draft position (which again I agree with him not drafting over Demko last year) he is STILL the GM of a team that has ignored talent in its own back yard since...well forever. Therefore he is also not entirely free from criticism. He might be faultless thus far but this and next draft year will see what happens.

There are some amazing outliers in Kelowna, vancouver, Victoria and Kamloops this year. Next year the same. Will we see someone drafted from these teams?

Time will tell.

But again, it is criminally stupid to NOT be paying attention to your own backyard and this organization is entirely guilty of that.

Period.

I have to group Benning in.

He's the GM of the canucks. And regardless of the draft position (which again I agree with him not drafting over Demko last year) he is STILL the GM of a team that has ignored talent in its own back yard since...well forever. Therefore he is also not entirely free from criticism. He might be faultless thus far but this and next draft year will see what happens.

There are some amazing outliers in Kelowna, vancouver, Victoria and Kamloops this year. Next year the same. Will we see someone drafted from these teams?

Time will tell.

But again, it is criminally stupid to NOT be paying attention to your own backyard and this organization is entirely guilty of that.

Period.

I absolutely agree with you. Geographically we have a big advantage to scout a great number of WHL teams and I'd like to see them use that. I'm gonna wait another draft, maybe two, before I say JB is failing to do that though. Looking at what seems to be his idea of how to build a team I feel like it'll include a lot of WHL players, given the way the WHL game is played.

Glad to clear the air here.

I absolutely agree with you. Geographically we have a big advantage to scout a great number of WHL teams and I'd like to see them use that. I'm gonna wait another draft, maybe two, before I say JB is failing to do that though. Looking at what seems to be his idea of how to build a team I feel like it'll include a lot of WHL players, given the way the WHL game is played.

Glad to clear the air here.

Please don't think I am saying Benning is failing. Not by any stretch of the imagination (his signings though so far...)

But with his statements about having watched and scouted the WHL so very much, I sincerely expect he will be paying serious attention to these teams and not just Portland/Seattle/Tri Cities. But the interior cities, island teams and to a lesser extent teams in the BCHL like the Vees Clippers and Vipers.

But as the GM of the Nucks he has to be included with the org for being part of an ongoing series of systemically ignoring talent at home. The same way Linden is, it's guilt by association at this point.

Please don't think I am saying Benning is failing. Not by any stretch of the imagination (his signings though so far...)

But with his statements about having watched and scouted the WHL so very much, I sincerely expect he will be paying serious attention to these teams and not just Portland/Seattle/Tri Cities. But the interior cities, island teams and to a lesser extent teams in the BCHL like the Vees Clippers and Vipers.

But as the GM of the Nucks he has to be included with the org for being part of an ongoing series of systemically ignoring talent at home. The same way Linden is, it's guilt by association at this point.

I believe I've seen posters on here saying JB has taken trips to watch the Blazers and Cougars, possibly other teams in the interior as well. I guess to date he has ignored talent at home, seeing as he didn't draft any last year, but I'm optimistic he'll change that down the road.

Kelowna is probably the most talented team in the CHL ala the Canucks 2011, but the complete team effort and goaltending of the Gens was too much.

Definitely. Kelowna outplayed Oshawa yesterday but ran into a really hot goalie. That was a tough one to take. I don't mind losing if I feel my team deserved to lose but when I see them lay it all out there, outshoot and outchance the opponents the whole game then come up short its tough.

• Upvote 1

Excellent season boys. $&!#ty way to end it though. Really thought we were gonna win in ot. Still,enjoyed watching the Rockets play this year and will be curious to see what the backend looks like next season with no bowey and Morrissey.

Also to that argument about the csnucks.not.dratying bc whl players. Well they def should look to kelowna more. Team is a d man factory

• 10 months later...