The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was Being "bold" And Over-Confidence Gillis' Fault?

Lui's Knob

The team gets to play a real "statement game" tomorrow in Chicago. That could go either way. If it goes well, hopefully they can keep some momentum. If they get slaughtered, maybe that will even be better, as a wake-up call.

But seriously, I refuse to have any panic until next week. Then the road trip will be over, and there will be 7 games left. That is when they really need to start regaining their top form.

/\

+1 for oldnews - Hodgson was used in a way that highlighted his strengths, and concealed (for the most part) his weaknesses. Once all the damage to his value was undone, Canucks sold high.

Pahlsson over Hodgson is an upgrade for this year. He's still finding his way with a new team and linemates too. But he already has one more goal than Coho, and is an even player on a team that has been losing, whereas Cody is a -5 on a team with a hot streak.

I dont think this slump is because of losing Hodgson, but his loss and the way the team has been changed by becoming half checking half scoring has f-d up the team. If the Sedins get shut down or go into a slump, where is the scoring gonna come from? Hodgson's contributions to the team are quite underrated. He was great at helping set up plays, he was able to step up in big games and score clutch goals, was sound defensively, added many intangibles, and he gave the Canucks a threat of 3 scoring lines. Now all we have is two and the team is going nowhere in the play-offs like this. I doubt the team would be in such a prolonged slump had this trade not happened.

My guess is, after the rash of njuries tok it's toll on the team when it mattered, they are ramping down the intensity now......teams are coming in and wanting to hammer the Canucks.......every single team they play would love to get them into a rough, chippy style of game, which often results in injury.  By playing a passive game, they are avoiding injury and fatigue down the road.

They know they  are pretty much locked into the second spot, so why not?  Could it backfire?  Sure......but I see when they do decide to turn it on for a shift or two, they dominate again.  They're in cruise control right now, everyone relax.

Archived