The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

It's Only A Matter Of Time Before Players Don't Want To Sign In Vancouver.

doobie

Fans pay to see the Canucks put a good product on the ice. Some fans are also aware of the value of players' contracts. I'm not saying booing Lu is a good or nice thing to do, but when the fans who are paying your $5/year salary don't see something they like, they can boo, and they shouldn't be lambasted for it.

If you went to a movie and it sucked horribly and you just wasted $20, and you knew the filmmaker was in the theatre, would you boo? Yes.

There are plenty of people who work thankless jobs for measly pay and get blasted by the public all the time. Police, soldiers, etc stick their lives on the line everyday.

If you get paid $50m over 10 years to play a game you love in one of the best cities on the planet, and you let 4 goals in on 15 shots... as much as I might love Lu for carrying us to game 7 last year (and we did only get there because of him), if you suck like that, damn right I will withdraw my support until you step your game up to match your salary, and stop wasting the money I paid for the ticket.

Luongo is a grown-ass man playing the game every Canadian wants to play in a hockey crazed Canadian city, being paid millions. Booing will happen and it's part of his job to take that criticism in stride and work hard so that he doesn't make the same mistakes again. If he plays well, he will not get booed, simple as that.

First of all its only one player that gets real bad treatment. The fans feel they have a right for this because they feel the superstar, save an average team by standing on his head goalie has disappeared. Instead, they feel that he lets in bad goals at the worst time. They also feel that when he breaks down, he really breaks down ie the exit to the last 3 playoff series. They feel they had the team to win the cup but goal-tending let them down. And finally they have been waiting for 40 years for a cup. That is like a life time lol why wouldnt they be mad? On top of that idiot rioters come in to make the whole deal that much worse. So you can see why the people of BC are upset. Personally, I have never seen any other player in the Nhl treated like the way Lu is (to an extent is fine but it is overboard).

Also even though there is criticism of other players here but its not at any extreme, its in a normal range for a hockey city especially a cup starved one.

The only reason why players may not wanna sign here is that they don't like the players on the team, or perhaps they hate the travel. The fans are hardly a "top of the list checkoff" on a players list when he makes a decision about his playing future. I would think the opposite could be true though, playing in a great hockey city, one of the most beautiful cities in the world, and a great organization could help us get players. Personally I think this is a rant thread because of the treatment of Lu last night.

In Canada, hockey players are OUR celebrities. They are professionals and can handle this sort of criticism. I agree that we, as a fan base, are far too hard and unappreciative of our players... Because most of the people on here werent around for the seasons where we played .500 hockey and cant truly understand the feeling of enjoy a rare win! We have a top of the line team, and the only real Canadian representative... I dont think Ottawa can get passed the first round, but if they do, all the better.

Yeah,Gragnani sucked.

Kes and Booth were right behind him.

Luo carried this team for a few months this year.None of the others did.

With that said,I worked in a rendering plant with blood,guts and bones for years,shift work.

It was dangerous,filthy and lonely.

I would trade places for just two games with any of these $5 million players and all the years I worked there would be paid in full.

Two games or years in a gut plant at midnight shifts in a dangerous industrial job.

They boo me ? Who cares.Playing elite level hockey is really a joke compared to what most people do to pay the rent.

I don't like fan bases that are quick to boo their team - whether it is a struggling power play, a goalie who lets in a bad one or whatever - no one 'owes' their team a positive response - but there is something to be said for team spirit and getting behind your guys - it works - ask the statistician who tracks Winnipeg's home record - and regardless of what people may think, no city is simply entitled to a winning team.

But if the booing lights a fire under Luongo it may not be such a bad thing - he seems to play better when he has something to prove or has a little fire in him. Hopefully that will be the effect.

I don't agree with Botchford either (rarely do) - Luong is not the team MVP - not even close - but at least Botchford is saying something positive for a change, as opposed to the standard Province trolling.

1) He IS a star. 2-time gold medalist. 1-time Stanley Cup finalist. 3-time Vezina nominee. Getting close to Patrick Roy's numbers. More than what ANYBODY can say for Schneider.

2) He's not a 7-million dollar goalie. right off the bat you don't know what you're talking about.

3) One bad game doesn't automatically mean Schneider is better than Luongo. Tim Thomas, Ryan Miller, Patrick Roy, Martin Brodeur, Ken Dryen, believe it or not, ALL got pulled MANY, many times in their careers. Guess all their back-ups are better than them too.

Only ignorant people would do such a thing, and after reading the rest of your post, you sir are in the "ignorant" category, you made that quite clear.

As for withdrawing your support, by all means, quite frankly Van city has way too many fairweather fans like you who don't know jack about hockey or have this sense of entitlement because you purchased a ticket.

You don't pay a players salary, the owner does. If you don't like the product find a better one. The amount of money you give to the orginization is barely enough to feed 10 fans a beer and a hotdog, get over yourself and grow up.

Yes,Not sure how that makes sense on the Leagues best overall team,Highest scoring team,You could give it to a goalie who is 15th overall in save % and 21 st overall in gaa ?

If anything Schneider is #1 and #2 League overall with 20 wins in Less games

Every game he is in he gives his team a chance to win.

This is where I would expect a Team MVP in League Statistics on a High scoring Presidents Team to be

Archived