The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Press Conference (including discussion on Coho from MG)

sedinz

Hodgson was clearly playing better than Kesler (points per mintues wise), so I don't know why anybody would blame him for asking for more ice-time. I don't care who you are, if you're playing better then the guy above you, then you should be promoted into a bigger role.

If you want a good example, just look at the Mike Richards and Claude Giroux situation a year ago.

Thanks HF.

To those questioning, "why now?" in relation to why MG is addressing the COHO issue at this point. It's obvious and NOT anything to do with deflecting blame away from himself. Of course he waited until the season was over because the last thing he needed was the spotlight on "issues" during the playoffs. Now that the season is behind the team, it's a more appropriate time to answer questions about what happened during the season. Nothing more to be read into it.

Why do some fans have to find an agenda here? There isn't one. As a professional, MG picked the right opportunity, post season, to touch on issues that had been put on hold. But people wanted answers and, in a fairly respectful way, he gave them all that they needed when the time was right.

Thanks HF.

To those questioning, "why now?" in relation to why MG is addressing the COHO issue at this point. It's obvious and NOT anything to do with deflecting blame away from himself. Of course he waited until the season was over because the last thing he needed was the spotlight on "issues" during the playoffs. Now that the season is behind the team, it's a more appropriate time to answer questions about what happened during the season. Nothing more to be read into it.

Why do some fans have to find an agenda here? There isn't one. As a professional, MG picked the right opportunity, post season, to touch on issues that had been put on hold. But people wanted answers and, in a fairly respectful way, he gave them all that they needed when the time was right.

He threw this kid under the bus? really? If this kid had the guts to ask for more ice time and then indicated to the team that his role on the team does not match what he believes it should be then he should have the guts to take any flak or critism that comes with it. What's the need for hiding it? Once the trade happened he should have been more open about it. Not fake some surprise act in front of the cameras. Why should the organization take all the flak for it? They had plans for Cody to be part of the future and it was Cody that was not happy with the way things were going.

Man, where's the facepalm when you need it.

There have been quite a few WJC stars that have had a tough time making a career in the NHL so what's your point?

Tavares and Eberle both play on teams that are in the bottom of the standings yes BOTTOM of the standings. These teams are so thin on veteran skill that they have no choice but to play them. Sometimes they aren't developed properly because of this (Columbus anyone?). The Canucks have subscribed to the Detroit model of bringing their young players along slowly and rightfully so. Cody had good stats not great. If he put up stats like Tavares, Stamkos or Eberle I think he would have earned some more playing time. Also don't forget playing on the third and fourth lines means that you are probably not facing the opposition's top defense pair so even if you give him time on the second or first line doesn't mean that he is going to do any better.

He hasn't even played a full season with the Canucks and yet he demands more ice time? A 21 year old rookie dictating how many minutes he should be playing? What does that say to the rest of the team who have bought into the TEAM concept? He may not have explicitly come out and asked for a trade but it seems to me he (or his handlers) have been a PITA to deal with these last few years and the Canucks had enough.

No one blamed the entire year on Coho. And, if you'd heard the pc you'd know that all MG did throughout was state that HE was the one in charge/to blame and would answer to that, first and foremost. Before anyone else would be pointed at in blame.

How can you assess a kid's character before you really know him, beyond how he plays on the ice? You can't. I still don't think it was Cody, himself, that was problematic...I believe it was the greedy camp he had behind him. But when you hit the NHL you leave boy status behind to become a man, so Daddy & Co. need to back away and let you spread your wings on your own. It seems there was likely a lot of interference and it sounds like it got to be tiring.

It is still a class organization...nothing was said that was inflammatory or degrading toward Cody (again, did you even hear the presser?). Reference was made to ongoing issues and that was likely more directed at the people pushing behind Cody than the kid himself.

Your dramatic response is dramatic. No one blamed everything on anyone and the question of Cody had remained pretty much unanswered. MG needs to put this to rest, and responded in a way that it could (eventually) be.

First of all you are believing without question what Gillis is saying but there are two sides to every story. Secondly, we don't know what those "issues" were but be a negative influence in the locker room is not one I have heard specifically. Mostly what I have heard is his agent complaining about playing time.

To me it seems MG is just backing up his man AV who doesn't know how to properly develop offensive young talent. As already pointed out he's had to deal with a lot from the Hodgson camp because the Canucks organization misdiagnosed his back problems and then complained to the media about Hodgson being a whiner and using it as an excuse for his poor play in the preseason (when obviously it was a very valid excuse as his back was messed up). Also the ice time, obviously.

Honestly the most annoying thing from this for me is that AV is still going to have a job with the Canucks next year. I was content to see what AV could do in the playoffs this year, but after the dismal run to the playoffs in which we managed to win some games we really shouldn't have thanks to stellar goaltending from both our goalies and the subsequent first round exit in 5 games, I'm done with seeing AV as our coach thanks to both his inability to stick to some sort of consistency regarding players' ice time (Raymond? wtf - Kassian? Why did we bother getting someone we wouldn't even play in the playoffs? MAG?) and his inability to give our rookies any real chance to develop early in their careers (Raymond was able to have his season due to necessity brought on by injury - Shirokov due to cap reasons was never given the chance - even though he should have been - MG is to blame for this one as well).

Well as long as we have AV, I hope Gillis is able to get some talent for the 2nd line next year (hopefully in a trade involving Raymond and Schneider) or basically tell AV to play Schroeder/Jensen/some other young talented forward we have sitting in the AHL on the 2nd line when it's not producing or he's fired.

To me it seems MG is just backing up his man AV who doesn't know how to properly develop offensive young talent. As already pointed out he's had to deal with a lot from the Hodgson camp because the Canucks organization misdiagnosed his back problems and then complained to the media about Hodgson being a whiner and using it as an excuse for his poor play in the preseason (when obviously it was a very valid excuse as his back was messed up). Also the ice time, obviously.

Honestly the most annoying thing from this for me is that AV is still going to have a job with the Canucks next year. I was content to see what AV could do in the playoffs this year, but after the dismal run to the playoffs in which we managed to win some games we really shouldn't have thanks to stellar goaltending from both our goalies and the subsequent first round exit in 5 games, I'm done with seeing AV as our coach thanks to both his inability to stick to some sort of consistency regarding players' ice time (Raymond? wtf - Kassian? Why did we bother getting someone we wouldn't even play in the playoffs? MAG?) and his inability to give our rookies any real chance to develop early in their careers (Raymond was able to have his season due to necessity brought on by injury - Shirokov due to cap reasons was never given the chance - even though he should have been - MG is to blame for this one as well).

Well as long as we have AV, I hope Gillis is able to get some talent for the 2nd line next year (hopefully in a trade involving Raymond and Schneider) or basically tell AV to play Schroeder/Jensen/some other young talented forward we have sitting in the AHL on the 2nd line when it's not producing or he's fired.

Who the hell cares what awards CoHo won prior to playing in a Canucks uniform? Those have no impact on his character in the dressing room or as a Canucks player. People change. Some of the issues with Cody have been well documented already and the fact that MG has chosen to state that he has spent more time in the past three years on CoHo issues than in all other Canucks combined says a great deal.

Mike Gillis is incompetent because a player feeling entitled to more ice time was eventually traded? Because MG chose to try and work it out, to develop his player? :picard: Having to spend 3 years dealing with one player's issues is ridiculous - perhaps MG should have just dumped CoHo way back when and saved himself the trouble. Instead, the Canucks hung in there with Cody as long as they could. I would imagine having to deal with CoHo issues over and over again would become pretty intolerable.

Your post would indicate a whole lot of Cody love and bias.............you're not related to him, are you? Your over the top response would certainly give the appearance of being in the Cody camp.

Is it just me or is anyone disappointed by the way he used Hodgson as a scapegoat?

He said that he likes to keep his talks with players confidential then proceeded to throw Hodgson under the bus. Very unprofessional in my opinion.

Gillis go get a top pick in the draft! (#2 - 5)

Make this season and the whole hodgson saga easier to take.

Draft Grigorenko or yakupov if oilers somehow passes up on him.

change up the core a bit with a new young prospect. Get younger, bigger(with grigorenko) and better!

Henrik aint getting any younger and kesler might be on a downhill..grigorenko is a great fit to center a top line in the future.

Archived