The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Press Conference (including discussion on Coho from MG)

sedinz

why does everyone hate Raymond so much? he came back from a career-ending threating injury, didn't have the summer to work out and missed training camp and when he came back the first month felt like training camp and he had to play with kesler who was injured himself, give raymond one more year with a full summer to train and lets see what he can do

and I heard from a girl in my class that Salo might not want to sign with the canucks is this true?

why does everyone hate Raymond so much? he came back from a career-ending threating injury, didn't have the summer to work out and missed training camp and when he came back the first month felt like training camp and he had to play with kesler who was injured himself, give raymond one more year with a full summer to train and lets see what he can do

and I heard from a girl in my class that Salo might not want to sign with the canucks is this true?

Now that Gillis has thrown Hodgson under the bus after repeatedly stating player's confidentiality will be respected we get some insight into character.

It will be interesting to hear what Cody says at some point in time so we get both sides of the story.

Gillis would have better served his integrity (and that of the team's) by respecting his player's confidentiality.

Brad Zeimer/Sunsational segment on Gillis / Cody Hodgson comments CKNW 10:55 pm Tuesday

Surprised and I wonder would he have said this if the Canucks had a successful playoff run?

I was surprised by the timing of the trade and how it benefitted them short term.

Gillis did not speak highly of Cody (today).

Defensive deficiencies.

His very first draft pick and he loved Cody's character then.

Canucks maintain they sign and acquire high quality individuals.

Canucks would have conducted exhaustive due diligence before making Gillis' very first draft pick.

So you completely disregard my whole post and choose to pinpoint I mentioned he was the leading scorer at teh WJC? Actually almost every WJC leading scorer has ended up becoming pretty good, but that wasn't why I mentioned it, I was merely using that to make you all aware of just how much potential he had and that sitting him on the bench wasn't going to help him at all in reaching it. He deserved more ice-time too because he did play well when he did and showed up in big games too right? (Schneider anyone? ;))

So basically what your reply to me was that Hodgson was just whiny and it wouldn't have been wise to give our star prospect a bit more time per game so he could develop his skills? And that still playing our top stars (some of whom were indeed injured aka Kesler) was a wise choice when our star prospect could've gave them a bit of a rest?

Also a 21 yeaar old rookie who DESERVED more time shouldn't voice his concerns and ask for a bit more time? It would've been beneficial for him and I'm pretty sure the rest of the team too. What team concept are you talking about? In my eyes only Burrows has taken any sort of sacrifice for the TEAM.

Cool you can't come up with aany replies to me so you just let someone else do it haha joking joking ;), and no where and when did I say Hodgson was going to be our saviour and take us to the Cup? It may not look like he had much impact here, but our Goalsper Game has been significantly lower since Hodgson left,and while on the issue look at Jeff Carter, it doesn't look like he's done much but the Kings have been doing way better goal-scoring wise since they got him.

It's the PRESENCE Cody brought this year that could've helped us.

How can you read my entire post and then come up with the idea that im giving Cody all the credit for Vancouvers success ? My point was that if he was such a horrible cancer and problem in this organization/ dressing room then why did they do so well ? Clearly he wasnt as bad as what some of the posters are making him out to be......

It was mentioned and discussed earlier in the thread. MG did not violate any confidentiality concerns regarding Hodgson.

And no, I'm not disappointed and I don't believe he used CoHo as a scapegoat for anything. He was asked a question, he answered it and moved on.

I think people are interpreting the Hodgson issue as he wanted out of the Organization for 3 years. "Issues" could mean a lot of things ... maybe it was his injuries, maybe it issues with the coaching staff in where to put him in the main roster, maybe it was how to develop him to his full potential during his time in the AHL.

They "determined that he did not want to be here" comment seems like a fair way to clear things up. It didn't look like he was attacking Hodgson and set the record straight without revealing much of the details.

I think MG's comments on Hodgson was a fair way to set things straight.

People really don't have an understanding of what confidentiality is?

MG said he spent more time with Cody than other players combined over a three year period and that their assessment was he didn't want to be there.

None of that is confidential, behind closed doors conversation. It is a statement of the overall situation.

Hardly confidential information.

He should be renamed to "Mike Blaming Gillis."

Sounds to me like Gillis is putting the blame on everything else but himself to hang on to his job. Blame the players for somehow not being themselves after the Boston game. Blame LA for having a better coach. Blame Hodgson for wasting his time, which I don't buy.

I missed that conversation.

However, I think he did violate confidentiality. Esp when Hodgson was asked that question in an interview and he just said i don't want to talk about it .. something like what's in the past is in the past and i want to move on. That did not imply that Hodgson had issues here. Gillis's previous quote also mentioned that I'm not getting into any back door conversations.

but in this presser he came out and threw Hodgson under the bus and basically said that trade happened because of issues with Hodgson. I also want to note that he and his management staff decided that hodgson maybe doesn't want to be here. Hodgson did not ask for a trade.

No, that's not basically what he said. Maybe that's your interpretation of what he said but that's NOT what he said, you know, the words coming out of his mouth.....

MG was asked a question, he answered it. He did not disclose information from closed door meetings, he did not repeat snippets of conversation had with Hodgson, he did not bring out a taped recording of discussions had with CoHo. He stated what any one of many people could have said.............he spent more time over 3 years dealing with Hodgson issues than time spent with all his other players combined. Please, do tell us how that translates to 'throwing CoHo under the bus' and 'violating confidentiality'. Huh? Well???????

FFS, MG is a lawyer, do you really think he's going to put himself in a compromising, potentially sueable position in front of the cameras like that?? Give your head a shake.

That itself is the equivalent of singling out a player and implying that he has bad attitude. Without knowing the cause of the issue, fans like you will assume it was Hodgson's attitude. Funny enough prior to his draft we were told he was a gentleman and a team player.

A player's character is certainly manipulated as needed by a team when its convenient eh?

Archived