The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oilers' Proposed Arena To Have Futuristic Look, Unique Shape *updated May 16Th

Edmonton is nicer then so many goofs like yourself give it credit for. Ok I admit that that Vancouver is a beautiful city and is nicer. I've been there. Have you been to Edmonton? I doubt it. What is it either then the fact that its cold makes it such an awful place? 1 million people live in Edmonton buddy, it's a fact. I'm sure Vancouver has plenty of gross areas too. That's the case in every major city.

• 2 weeks later...

I am completely against publicly funded stadiums for billionaires. What a clown this guy is. He made a deal but now wants $250 million more. This is absolute nonsense.

Good to see the city stick up to him and tell him no. The team is not going anywhere. The BOG would have to approve any move and they won't let a team leave EDM. The city knows this so it's OK for them to play hardball.

I still can't believe the scam of BC Place. Taxpayers spent almost $700 million on a roof that doesn't even close when needed.

I am completely against publicly funded stadiums for billionaires. What a clown this guy is. He made a deal but now wants $250 million more. This is absolute nonsense.

Good to see the city stick up to him and tell him no. The team is not going anywhere. The BOG would have to approve any move and they won't let a team leave EDM. The city knows this so it's OK for them to play hardball.

I still can't believe the scam of BC Place. Taxpayers spent almost $700 million on a roof that doesn't even close when needed.

Yep, Thanks to Arthur Griffith we didn't publicly fund GM Place. Arthur Griffith's naivete and lack of business skill nearly bankrupt him. He decided to build GM Place with his own money and bring in a NBA franchise. Lost it all in the process.

I guess I shouldn't be all that upset with Kratz for trying to get all the $ he can. If Arthur Griffith had a do over.........

Edit: OTT, TOR, MTL and VAN Arenas were all built with private funding. All 3 of OTT, MTL, VAN ownerships lost money or went bankrupt. Only TOR didn't change ownership due to financial problems.

Yep, Thanks to Arthur Griffith we didn't publicly fund GM Place. Arthur Griffith's naivete and lack of business skill nearly bankrupt him. He decided to build GM Place with his own money and bring in a NBA franchise. Lost it all in the process.

I guess I shouldn't be all that upset with Kratz for trying to get all the $ he can. If Arthur Griffith had a do over.........

Edit: OTT, TOR, MTL and VAN Arenas were all built with private funding. All 3 of OTT, MTL, VAN ownerships lost money or went bankrupt. Only TOR didn't change ownership due to financial problems.

• 1 month later...

Edmonton arena update: Oilers request invitation to speak at city hall:

On the subject of the stalled downtown arena project, Edmonton Oilers ownership has kindly requested the opportunity to make a presentation in front of city councilors on Wednesday.

The project hit a snag in October when the city ceased negotiations following the Katz Group’s request for additional funding.

“We are not invited,” Katz Group VP John Karvellas told the Edmonton Journal. “We don’t have a right to say anything. They have to resolve to permit us to say something. The arena is a topic on the agenda on Wednesday and we’ve requested an opportunity to speak to that item on the agenda. But it will be up to city council on Wednesday morning to determine whether they give us that opportunity.”

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/10/edmonton-arena-update-oilers-request-invitation-to-speak-at-city-hall/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Archived