The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Coach/ Player Relationship

six-0h-four-

So AV has stated several times the players run the locker room themselves. He usually combines this with "they're a calm and collective group with a lot of experience, and they hold themselves accountable", or something to that effect.

Now this isn't a FIRE AV NOW thread, but if we did bring in a new coach he would obviously want to get his grasp on the team, and things would change.

I know at my work if the supervisors started telling people to go ahead and run the show the way they want, production would be cut in half.

Just a thought...

It's a great strategy if you are trying to avoid taking responsibility for the outcome. Personally, I think this team is a little too much like a bunch of friends and too comfortable. They all like AV because he leaves them alone to figure things out themselves. What a great system, except there are always those who willl take advantage of something like this and perhaps that explains why this team has so many no-shows in the playoffs.

We had too many passengers the last couple months and no one seems to be taking responsibility for it. MG won't blame AV...AV doesnt' blame the players...the players don't blame the coach, and on it goes.

Theres a difference betweeen running a hockey team and a regular job.

If you really want to use Organizational Behaviour terms, then you're probably looking at the difference between intrinsic and extrinsic motivation. Instead of being motivated by money, I think what AV is alluding to is the fact that the leadership group in the locker room is so well established and each player is motivated to win, and not to cash in his or her next bonus cheque.

Theres a difference betweeen running a hockey team and a regular job.

If you really want to use Organizational Behaviour terms, then you're probably looking at the difference between intrinsic and extrinsic motivation. Instead of being motivated by money, I think what AV is alluding to is the fact that the leadership group in the locker room is so well established and each player is motivated to win, and not to cash in his or her next bonus cheque.

So AV has stated several times the players run the locker room themselves. He usually combines this with "they're a calm and collective group with a lot of experience, and they hold themselves accountable", or something to that effect.

Now this isn't a FIRE AV NOW thread, but if we did bring in a new coach he would obviously want to get his grasp on the team, and things would change.

I know at my work if the supervisors started telling people to go ahead and run the show the way they want, production would be cut in half.

Just a thought...

If there's one rule to coaching, it's that you have to be able to do everything, whenever it's appropriate and when it's needed.

As a coach, there are times when you let the lockerroom go, and there are times you have to take control and get them back on track. Either way, the coach is there to plan the system, motivate the players, and then guide them (encompasses Recommend OR Instruct).

Just a thought...

This is the problem with this team..Coach is not a coach anymore..He lets the players just play.

No more strategy..There should have been a coaching change in the fall.

This team would not even have made the playoffs if it wasnt for the goalies.

Our defence is not as good as you guys think and The twins are great people and are great for season but they dont have what it takes to bring this team to a Stanley Cup.

I heard in an interview before that one of the reasons Coach AV didn't want to get too involved in the locker room was because he didn't want to get too personal with the players. Because as a coach sometimes he has to make tough decisions for the best of the team. (personal stuff may affect decisions he make)

I heard in an interview before that one of the reasons Coach AV didn't want to get too involved in the locker room was because he didn't want to get too personal with the players. Because as a coach sometimes he has to make tough decisions for the best of the team. (personal stuff may affect decisions he make)

It's been my opinion for a long time that any coach (in the NHL) could have done as well with the Canucks as

AV, and that some could have done a lot better. (eg. Babcock) The question is this; why stay with AV, when someone else might do a better job? As people have admitted he lets the players run the show in any event. (Does he prefer veterans because he doesn't want to get involved?) He's always struck me as more of a manager than a coach. (I remember he used to get Ohlund to talk to Edler... instead of talking to him himself.)

Just a thought...

I'm not suggesting this at all. Maybe meeting somewhere in the middle.

Has anyone wondered why some new additions haven't come as advertised? When people like Booth, Gragnani, Kassian, Ballard come into a new dressing room and see the players running the room, their first thought is probably, "Wow, this is pretty chill".

"Pretty chill" don't win playoff games.

Archived