The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Does Toronto Have That Is Worth Luongo?

I still think people are overvaluing Luongo. The team that (hopefully) picks him up will have to eat that decade long contract...that's a deterrent enough without having to throw in multiple key pieces from their team. If Toronto actually offered up their #5 overall pick, I would be thrilled. I'm just hoping for a second round pick from somebody.

There are a lot more good goalies teams could make pushes for that are either younger than, have a better contract than or would cost less than what people here seem to expect it would take to aquire luongo. Enroth in Buff. Lindback in Nashville. Harding or Hackett in Minnesota. Joey Macdonald in Detroit. Rask or thomas in Boston. Elliot or Halak in Stl. Irving in Calgary. Bernier as already mentioned. If a team is gonna pay what people think Lu is worth (5th overall pick and more) they are gonna want someone young like Cory or any of the other young above goalies mentioned. I probably left a few off the list as well. And all the above veteran goalies have way better contracts, making less money and having no NTC or longterm contracts. Not to mention they aren't as damaged goods.

Lu has a few things going for him but the supply demand just isnt there. Unless there's a gm who is in love with him I don't see him fetching anyone good other than an older veteran in a similar contract situation.

Even Cannata may have more trade appeal than Lu to a lot of teams.

The Leafs don't have much, but they might have enough to possibly get the Canucks attention. The Leafs 1st round pick (5th overall) would have to be required as a starting point in any trade talks regarding Luongo between Toronto and Vancouver.

When it comes to the players and or prospect needed to put a package deal together, they (TOR) don't have alot to work with. I personally only have very little interest in Khadri, and only moderate interest in Luke Schenn. I do however really like Cody Franson. Cody's a big bodied 2-way right handed defenseman with playing experience with Hamhius from his Nashville days, and as an added plus, he's also a BC boy.

Here's an example proposed package deal I can possibly see work.

to Toronto

Roberto Luongo

Mason Raymond (2012 RFA)

Ryan Parent (2012 RFA)

To Vancouver

TOR 1st round pick (5th overall)

Clarke MacArthur

Cody Franson (2012 RFA)

Matt Frattin (2012 RFA)

I'd like to see them give us Schenn in the deal but, realistically, if we got the 1st round pick and Toronto agreed to pick up all of Roberto's salary, we'd be doing fantastic! The prize here is not what we'll get for him, it's the freed-up cap space, and not having the goalie situation affect the mindset of the entire team.

To Vancouver: Roberto Luongo.

From Vancouver: Roberto Luongo.

See what I did there? I think the organization has made it clear at this point that they stand by Luongo. Even with Schneider's excelling performance, I really have a hard time picturing them moving Roberto. I would expect them to move a player like Ballard to free up cap room to resign Schneider. Stop overthinking this "goalie controversy", because in all likelihood, nothing will change in this department.

Please, reread what I have just said, memorize it, change your oppinion to it, and pass on the word to the next person who makes a trade Luongo thread. Please and thankyou.

to be honest, nothing, really interests me from Toronto. This is the total representation of how bad their team actually is. NO one interests me at all. If it was Tampa bay for example, I would say, Brett Connoly. IF Florida was interested I would cool with Gudbranson OR Kulikov as starting pieces. If it was Columbus and yes they are looking for a goalie too, B C boy Jonhansen and their pick would be who I am interested in.

Leafs have nothing I, personally want. I'm not sure about gillis, but as a Canucks fan, theres no one I want, and theres not anyone Gillis will be interested in.

Were not sure what he looking for, maybe a player that can help the team right away? I'm sure he's going after youth.

Luke Schenn. A HUGE NO for Luke Schenn. I don't want this guy, he won't help, not very good offensively, he's tough nails, but as raymond tends to screw up offensively, Luke Schenn is the guy that screws up defensively. He's there version of Mason Raymond, and we have plenty of other players that have smiliar abilities to him. So adding won't really improve the team. I also believe "we can do better" then a luke Schenn.

Kadri. Prospect, future top 2 centerman with speed and skill. I"m not really interested in this guy because we have something similar in Schroeder. Also heard of some attitude problems from him, but in the end. not really interested in this guy. Not unique enough.

Colburne. I'm not sure why we are going after a guy that is a future 3rd line player.

Jake Gardiner. A fan favorite. I respect the fact that he is good enough to be labled a untouchable. But if the Leafs are not willing to include him, it's going to be real hard for us to give up a star goalie.

5th round pick. Florida was wiling to give up the 8th pick for Voukon. 5th pick for Luongo is not far fetched, but Burke can potentially look stupid, knowing he traded traded away 3 of his first round picks 3 years in a row away. So understandable too, hes not willing to move it.

Nikolai Kulemin. MR highlites from the REL, but just a normal player in the NHL, the problem with this guy, is that he wasnt even effective on a non playoff team, how is he going to impact a top 2 NHL team? He's useless to us in a sense were we have plenty of 2nd line wingers, like HIggins, Booth, Burrows, Raymond, so is he's pretty much useless to us. Gillis is not looking for spare parts.

Dion Phaneuf. Leafs captain. NHL teams have adapted to his game, since then, just looks like a normal defencemen. Not the same from the 2006 season, at times looking like a pylon.

Lupul. Lupul was a point per game, but playing 1st line minutes. By adding him to our team, doesn't mean he will be point per game. Lupul will probalby be shuffled in the A.V's never ending of line juggling were he will never see 19 minutes of ice time like he did in Toronto so it's really no point trading our franchise star goalie for him.

PHil Kessel, hes the only guy that will interested gillis in return.

So honestly, theres no one that will interest Gillis from the Leafs. They are not willing to trade their 5th pick, or even Gardiner, which is totally fine with me, in the end, I honestly don't see how Luongo will end up being a Leafs, infact, I really think it's impossible, unless it's smoething he can't refuse. Thats about it. Even if Burke offers for example, Kadri , Schenn and something else, this is a deal that is the Leafs sending us a bunch of players we were never interested in the first place, so it's going to be real hard for us to work a deal with a team like the Maple Leafs

Again i'm going by this.

Varalmov fetched the captials a 1st round pick.

Thomas Voukoun at the time 32 years of age, fetched Nashville the 8th pick.

No offence Luongo is much better then Voukoun, should be able to fetch us something more then a 1st round pick.

So that's my conclusion. From the Leafs, honestly...... there's not anyone I would be interested in. Also a smart gm, he's not going to trade just for the sake of it, and not because he has too. Gillis is a smart gm. He will trade him when the right deal is presented. I honestly doubt, the Leafs have anything decent to present. I find it also quite funny, how Leafs fans are saying, Gilli's option is limited.

There is 1 Roberto Luongo

I'm not sure , but there will be more then team interested in Luongo, so no, we have more options then Leafs. If Leafs are no longer interested in Luongo, that's totally cool, because I don't want Luongo playing for the Leafs.

I would think Luongo is mostly a salary dump on Vancouver's part, so there won't be much coming back. Plus, Toronto will want to dump Salary. Lupul would work here, but He's popular in Toronto and I think the Leafs want to keep Him. Matt Frattin is a possibility for Vancouver, or Cody Franson, or a 2nd rounder, but that's about it.

Just skimming through this thread, i'm glad none of you guys are Mike Gillis. A lot of you guys are willing to except Luke Schenn, why? I have no f ing clue, why you want just a terrible defencemen, and no, it's not me saying this, It's leafs fans are tired of him, so why the hell would we want him? But to be honest, I don't want him to go to the Leafs, cause that means that's the day they have a chance at making the playoffs.

Lui, Raymond, Alberts

for

Gardiner, Connolly

Gardiner is that puck moving D weve needed since Ehrhoffs departure, not to mention that hes great buddies and ex colledge teammates with Justin Schultz.. :)

Connolly is the contract we'd need to take back @ 4.75, but its up after next season. I could also see him being the guy we need to distribute the puck on the 2nd line... He might just turn out to be Raymond 2.0, but I dont think its coincidence that his worst offensive season came on his first campaign with the TML. Hes shown the ability to be a top end playmaker, and maybe he could resurrect his carreer in VAN alla Tanguay with CGY. He's also from NY, and should fit in just fine with the rest of the Americans weve accumulated. Last but not least, he's a viable option to center the second PP unit.

Archived