The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Canucks: 10 Players Who Could Be Coming West In Luongo Deal

Sully2Cool

First of all, I think a lot of people in this thread are underestimating Lou's value. He is definately a #1 goalie. He was a huge part of back to back Presidents Trophy's and took the Canucks to the cup final. The only problem is that he ran into a great young goalie who outplayed him (and he did outplay him). In the end, I don't see any deal as being a simple take what you can and run. MG should go for exactly what he feels the team needs.

With this in mind, what would be the best move?

Who would he go too?

First there are the obvious; Tampa and Toronto.

Second come my underdogs; Anaheim and maybe San Jose.

Tampa Bay would have a lot of interest. Anyway it goes I would want their first round pick as part of the deal.

Toronto, to me, gets a little more interesting. I would be most interested in Joffrey Lupul. He would seem to be a perfect fit for the Kesler line. If that wasn't gonna happen then, again, the first round pick would have to be part of any deal. This would be more in our favor than the Tampa pick as it would put us in line to draft a definate need in Griffin Reinhart.

Now for my darkhorses.

First Anaheim. Still in the States. Plenty of stars for his wife to shmooze with. Oh yeah, and again, plenty of hot sun for his wife to continue burning her face off with. Corey Perry or Bobby Ryan would be interesting but I have high hopes for Nicholas Jensen winding up on Keslers right side. Once again, the first round pick would be sweet, but I feel Anaheim would have to ante up a little more.

Finally San Jose. Anti Niemmi is iffy at best. In my eyes they should be interested in an upgrade. Brent Burns would be a good pick up, but is it an even swap or does one or the other need to ante more. Personally, I think San Jose would need to add a mid round draft pick.

I think my favorite option is that top six draft pick. I really like Griffin Reinhart and think he's a star in the making. He pretty much represents everything Vancouver needs. It would be sweet if they could get him and pry Jared Tinnordi out of Montreal. Monster defense.

MG is not a fool. He knows what he has in Lou. He will not get burned.

ZUBRUS now that's a name that should be thrown around more.

He's 6'5" and 225ibs AND can play both winger and centre.

Assuming we go after a playmaking winger this off-season, our line-up could look like this

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Wheeler (47 assists last season)

Higgins-Zubrus-Jensen

Kassian-Lapierre-Hansen

Please. nothing from Toronto. Please.

MG seems like a smart man. I'd be shocked if we got schenn and or komiserik from the center of the universe for Lu. Shocked in a bad way. Then id puke a bit in my mouth. Then I'd have to get over having to cheer for bust leaf rejects.

Yowsa. No thanks to any of the above. Kulikov would be of interest if Canucks didn't already have a plethora of left sided, puck moving d-men. The others are old (in hockey yrs) and/or have bad contracts. Pretty sure Parise knows who he wants to sign with, if he wants to be a Canuck - he'll come. No need to trade picks or a #1 goalie (sheesh) to get his rights.

I don't see Gillis moving Lu if he has to take on a bad contract, it makes no sense. Schneid would have to be re-signed ($2.5-$4M), + a $4M bad contract = worse off than they are now. Not worth it, a GM worth his own weight would never makes those deals.

Of the players that you list I can only see 2 being of any interest to the canucks.  You have made some pretty unsound assumptions in getting to this list. Not least of which is that Luongo is going to get traded at all.  The Canucks do not HAVE to trade Luongo. They do not HAVE to trade Schneider, but they do probably have to trade one of them.  This makes the return for Luongo substantially higher than you assume.  There are 10 NHL teams that desperately need a bona fide #1.  The only genuine #1 goalies available that a team can wrap up for the next 4 or 5 years are Luongo and Schneider.  Vokoun and Thomas can fill a gap for a year or 2 but  teams like TOR,TAM,CHI,EDM,CBJ,FLA,NYI,NJD and COL do not want to have to look for a new #1 every year.

As soon as Schneider is traded, Luongo goes off the market.  As soon as Luongo is traded, Schneider is off the market.  So demand is out-stripping supply, which means that the  price goes up.  

Consider the following hypothetic situation; GM Burke  is desperate to land Schneids and GM Yzerman is equally desperate  to land Luongo.  To get the goalie they want , they will each have to offer more than the other GM is prepared to offer for  their preferred goalie because if Luogo goes to TAM then Schneids will not go to TOR.  So what is Luongo worth?  He is worth whatever  a GM is prepared to pay to get him.   It doesn't  matter what anyone thinks about him.  It doesn't matter about his contract.

And incidentally, before you assume that Luongo's contract is a bad one, you may want to check out what other goalies have for contracts.  Start with Bryz in PHI, then check out the other 7 goalies who have higher cap hits than Luongo .  I'm sure PIT and CHI would rather have and Luongo in goal during the playoffs this year than their starters.

Trades to make this Offseason

To Vancouver: Shea Weber

To Nashville: 1st round pick ,J.Schroeder, M.Gragnani, Aaron Rome

To Vancouver: Mattias Ohlund, Steven Stamkos, Victor Hedman

To Tampa Bay: Roberto Luongo, Mason Raymond,Kieth Ballard, Sami Salo along with 4 million dollars

To Vancouver: 1st Round Pick, Steve Ott

To Dallas: Andrew Alberts, Mark Macari*, Andrew Ebbett,

To Vancouver: Christian Ehrhoff

To Buffalo: Dallas' 1st Round Pick, 2nd round pick, Sammuel Pahlson, Byron Bitz

To Vancouver: 1st Round Pick

To Toronto :Stefan Schneider, Andrew Gordon, Mike Duco

To Carolina: Kevin Conuation,Matt Climie, Bill Sweatt

To Vancouver: 1st Round pick

To Winnipeg: Zach Kassian

Plan: Rest Kesler untill trade deadline (FED 28th) whenever the date is, And Trade Stamkos to the Columbus Blue Jackets for their first round pick to dumb his HUGE cap hit.

IM A GENIUS. LIKE ME

Trades to make this Offseason

To Vancouver: Shea Weber

To Nashville: 1st round pick ,J.Schroeder, M.Gragnani, Aaron Rome

To Vancouver: Mattias Ohlund, Steven Stamkos, Victor Hedman

To Tampa Bay: Roberto Luongo, Mason Raymond,Kieth Ballard, Sami Salo along with 4 million dollars

To Vancouver: 1st Round Pick, Steve Ott

To Dallas: Andrew Alberts, Mark Macari*, Andrew Ebbett,

To Vancouver: Christian Ehrhoff

To Buffalo: Dallas' 1st Round Pick, 2nd round pick, Sammuel Pahlson, Byron Bitz

To Toronto :Stefan Schneider, Andrew Gordon, Mike Duco

To Carolina: Kevin Conuation,Matt Climie, Bill Sweatt

To Vancouver: 1st Round pick

To Winnipeg: Zach Kassian

Plan: Rest Kesler untill trade deadline (FED 28th) whenever the date is, And Trade Stamkos to the Columbus Blue Jackets for their first round pick to dumb his HUGE cap hit.

IM A GENIUS. LIKE ME

phaneuf is a terrible d-man and a cancer in the dressing room.....toronto has been trying to rid themself's of schenn for 2 years...

if we have to take back contract, then at least make it for someone, who won't hurt us on or off the ice..

Archived