The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wind Mobile - Is It Any Good?

hsedin33

Wind, I meant Wind Mobile**

I have one month left on my contract with rogers, so I was exploring other options and I came across Wind at the local mall. It was quite cheap, Unlimited everything for $25 a month, no activation fees, no 911 fees, no fees at all, comes to $28 a month after tax, that includes 100 mbs in data. The only downside I noticed was the coverage, it wasn't super great, but it covered where I live and drive mostly. They then notified me that their return policy stipulated that if I wanted to it would have to be within 14 days and have less then 30 minutes airtime.

I came home and setup the device, put it immediatly on my own WiFi, then 20 minutes later I get a text from Wind, informing me that I have used 90% of my data. I called them up using their 611 number and after navigating their menu, being on hold, I was informed that it was just an error, their fault and it 'could' be corrected. I then proceeded to ask him if this call was going to count towards my 30 minutes of airtime, after dodging the question for about 30-45 seconds he said yes, it did. I got mad, packaged up the device and brought the whole thing back within an hour of puchasing it. I got a refund.

Do you think I overeacted? Has anyone else had Wind and how do they like it?

The plan seemed very reasonable but I figured there has to be a catch.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Depends on how much in a metro area you are, if you ever travel outside it (Wind coverage is average in specific metro areas, non-existent outside) you're screwed. Comparatively, as someone who had both services for a year (my wife stuck with Wind until we got a Rogers family plan promotion, I'm a lot more nitpicking about service so left Wind sooner) you would pay $34 here for a Rogers Canada Wide My10 + unlimited text and $10 for 100MB of data, plus taxes and other silly fees.

For our family, we travel quite a bit so Rogers is a far better option if you know what you need and stick within that (i.e. don't nickel and dime yourself with purchasing excessive add-ons), Wind is a better option if you stay inside the biggest cities, never travel, have relatively low expectations, and pay a fraction of what Rogers' services cost with a minimal plan. If you pay anywhere similar, Wind is a terrible idea.

Keep in mind with Wind no matter what you will be paying the cost of a phone by any reasonable standards. Sure, you can get Windtab, but unless you get a top tier plan, which again is pointless, it will take years to pay the phone off, so it's very clear well over 90% of people will still be paying off their phone at a future date when they cancel service or buy a new phone. When Rogers or the other of the Big 3 subsidize your phone, most people (i.e. those who didn't frack their credit) pay a minimal deposit, if any at all, and provided you go the term of the contract you won't have needed to pay your phone off.

This may sound like a negative rant against Wind but talking to people who go with Wind and move away it's because they don't fully understand what they're getting themselves into with Wind, and they wind up paying the hefty first month cost to a Big 3 company plus the Wind tab nonsense when they logically get dissatisfied and move away. With Rogers, Bell, and Telus, you know exactly what you're getting, so there should be pretty much no surprises. I know a few who have had Wind for years and are happy with it but by in large most are not.

Personally, my advice would be stick with Rogers, wait out a promotion, or don't get plans that are above and beyond what you would need. The issue with Wind's reception inside the biggest cities is starting to dissipate since they have added a number of wireless towers, so that shouldn't be nearly as much a factor as it used to.

Depends on how much in a metro area you are, if you ever travel outside it (Wind coverage is average in specific metro areas, non-existent outside) you're screwed. Comparatively, as someone who had both services for a year (my wife stuck with Wind until we got a Rogers family plan promotion, I'm a lot more nitpicking about service so left Wind sooner) you would pay $34 here for a Rogers Canada Wide My10 + unlimited text and $10 for 100MB of data, plus taxes and other silly fees.

For our family, we travel quite a bit so Rogers is a far better option if you know what you need and stick within that (i.e. don't nickel and dime yourself with purchasing excessive add-ons), Wind is a better option if you stay inside the biggest cities, never travel, have relatively low expectations, and pay a fraction of what Rogers' services cost with a minimal plan. If you pay anywhere similar, Wind is a terrible idea.

Keep in mind with Wind no matter what you will be paying the cost of a phone by any reasonable standards. Sure, you can get Windtab, but unless you get a top tier plan, which again is pointless, it will take years to pay the phone off, so it's very clear well over 90% of people will still be paying off their phone at a future date when they cancel service or buy a new phone. When Rogers or the other of the Big 3 subsidize your phone, most people (i.e. those who didn't frack their credit) pay a minimal deposit, if any at all, and provided you go the term of the contract you won't have needed to pay your phone off.

This may sound like a negative rant against Wind but talking to people who go with Wind and move away it's because they don't fully understand what they're getting themselves into with Wind, and they wind up paying the hefty first month cost to a Big 3 company plus the Wind tab nonsense when they logically get dissatisfied and move away. With Rogers, Bell, and Telus, you know exactly what you're getting, so there should be pretty much no surprises. I know a few who have had Wind for years and are happy with it but by in large most are not.

Personally, my advice would be stick with Rogers, wait out a promotion, or don't get plans that are above and beyond what you would need. The issue with Wind's reception inside the biggest cities is starting to dissipate since they have added a number of wireless towers, so that shouldn't be nearly as much a factor as it used to.

Archived