The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is This The Year We Move A Valuable Asset To Recieve A Top 1St Rounder?

Herberts Vasiljevs

Personally I take the attitude of "lets get Stanley" while we have the supporting pieces.

It boils down to 3 things in my book.

Firstly, do we think enough of the Twins to get them a "heavyweight" sniper?

Secondly, do we sacrifice one of our top four D's to put a "gifted bruiser" in his place.

Thirdly, are we prepared to get a 2nd line "battler" who can chip in with 25 goals a season and "drop them" when required.

If the answer is yes then I say find the pieces and accept the damage.

I don't care about picks at present. This team can probably be in contention for the next 3/5 years, given support. But if we get distracted on picks we can forget the SC and start rebuilding now.

The thing with prospects that people seem to not understand is that when they're compared to a good player of the past, t doesn't mean that they will be as good as he was.

Player A is compared to Lidström and player B is compared to Phaneuf for exampel:

this does not mean that player A is better than player B just because Lidström has won seven Norris Trophys, this just means that player A PLAYS more like Lidström, good positioning, great passer and reads the play good, where as player B playes more like Phaneuf, hard hitter, fights and shoots hard.

I mean, you can compare seven year old kids to NHL players, this doesn't mean that they're half as good as the players you compare them to.

The thing with prospects that people seem to not understand is that when they're compared to a good player of the past, t doesn't mean that they will be as good as he was.

Player A is compared to Lidström and player B is compared to Phaneuf for exampel:

this does not mean that player A is better than player B just because Lidström has won seven Norris Trophys, this just means that player A PLAYS more like Lidström, good positioning, great passer and reads the play good, where as player B playes more like Phaneuf, hard hitter, fights and shoots hard.

I mean, you can compare seven year old kids to NHL players, this doesn't mean that they're half as good as the players you compare them to.

Personally I take the attitude of "lets get Stanley" while we have the supporting pieces.

It boils down to 3 things in my book.

Firstly, do we think enough of the Twins to get them a "heavyweight" sniper?

Secondly, do we sacrifice one of our top four D's to put a "gifted bruiser" in his place.

Thirdly, are we prepared to get a 2nd line "battler" who can chip in with 25 goals a season and "drop them" when required.

If the answer is yes then I say find the pieces and accept the damage.

I don't care about picks at present. This team can probably be in contention for the next 3/5 years, given support. But if we get distracted on picks we can forget the SC and start rebuilding now.

We already have many promising young prospects, when Luo or Cory along with raymond get traded MG will hopefully pick up another big mean defense man and or a power forward who is not afraid to stand in front of the net (god I miss BERT).

This team needs a bit of a shake up for sure, whether we get draft picks or more depth/core players it will wake this team up i am sure!

Personally I think the Sedins should be traded or at least one of them any ways!

Hank plays way better without his brother, Danny the same, or at least split them up for a while.

No one doubts their talent, it's their heart and determination that may be in question.

We need another Burrows, that would solve all of the canucks problems!!! :bigblush:

Due to Luongo's control of where he goes, our choices are limited. I think his desire is to be close to his family in Florida. For whatever reason, Toronto has been speculated to be another desired destination. Lou's want to be out of Vancouver could be just the beginning of, what could be an interesting offseason for the Canucks.

With the Canucks best interests in mind, I think Toronto is the best trading partner for us. Their 5th over all pick would be an amazing pick up and would open options for MG. They have a couple of roster players that we could use, one of which I would be keenly interested in. I feel there are a couple of options for a deal that could happen.

First Option

To Toronto:

Roberto Luongo

Kevin Connautin

Anton Rodin

Our 1st rnd pick 2012

To Vancouver:

Joffrey Lupul

5th over all pick 2012

I believe this is a fair deal. Roberto Luongo is an elite goaltender. He's not going to go cheaply. They need a clear #1. They also get a young forward that I don't think is going to get a shot here any time soon and a top defensive prospect in Connauton and still get to pick in the first round.

We get a forward who is more of a passer and will feed Kesler as well as a top pick. Nice.

Second Scenario

To Toronto

Roberto Luongo

Vancouver's 1st rnd pick 2012

Vancouver's 2nd rnd pick 2013

To Vancouver:

Clarke MacArthur

Toronto's 5th ovr all pick

Again Toronto gets their #1 goalie. They still pick in the first round and they get a second pick next year.

Although MacArthur is not as desirable as Lupul, he's still a good forward I think would fit well with Kesler and we again get the fifth over all pick. I, personally, would rather get one great prospect than two so so ones. Agai, Toronto needs that #1 goaltender and Lou's not gonna go cheap.

I would like to see Vancouver use the pick to get Griffin Reinhart (if he's still available). A big bruising defenceman with a scoring touch. Sounds good to me. If he goes before Vancouver picks, they go with option B. A deal for Weber's rights.

I think either deal is realistic due to each teams needs.

Due to Luongo's control of where he goes, our choices are limited. I think his desire is to be close to his family in Florida. For whatever reason, Toronto has been speculated to be another desired destination. Lou's want to be out of Vancouver could be just the beginning of, what could be an interesting offseason for the Canucks.

With the Canucks best interests in mind, I think Toronto is the best trading partner for us. Their 5th over all pick would be an amazing pick up and would open options for MG. They have a couple of roster players that we could use, one of which I would be keenly interested in. I feel there are a couple of options for a deal that could happen.

First Option

To Toronto:

Roberto Luongo

Kevin Connautin

Anton Rodin

Our 1st rnd pick 2012

To Vancouver:

Joffrey Lupul

5th over all pick 2012

I believe this is a fair deal. Roberto Luongo is an elite goaltender. He's not going to go cheaply. They need a clear #1. They also get a young forward that I don't think is going to get a shot here any time soon and a top defensive prospect in Connauton and still get to pick in the first round.

We get a forward who is more of a passer and will feed Kesler as well as a top pick. Nice.

Second Scenario

To Toronto

Roberto Luongo

Vancouver's 1st rnd pick 2012

Vancouver's 2nd rnd pick 2013

To Vancouver:

Clarke MacArthur

Toronto's 5th ovr all pick

Again Toronto gets their #1 goalie. They still pick in the first round and they get a second pick next year.

Although MacArthur is not as desirable as Lupul, he's still a good forward I think would fit well with Kesler and we again get the fifth over all pick. I, personally, would rather get one great prospect than two so so ones. Agai, Toronto needs that #1 goaltender and Lou's not gonna go cheap.

I would like to see Vancouver use the pick to get Griffin Reinhart (if he's still available). A big bruising defenceman with a scoring touch. Sounds good to me. If he goes before Vancouver picks, they go with option B. A deal for Weber's rights.

I think either deal is realistic due to each teams needs.

I think this should be the year we get another all star to play on the team, like Nash or Parise. A defenceman would be great too. We need someone with enough experience to help us in the playoffs, and I don't think any of the top players in the draft will help us right now.

Ryan Murray would be the best choice. He's playing for team Canada right now, playing against and alongside top players, but we would need a top 3 pick to draft him. Instead of wasting this much resources on a draft pick, we should get a top player.

If we don't win the cup in the next 2, maybe 3 seasons, then we can start rebuilding.

Take Severson at 26th overall. I know we'll be moving down a bit, but he's the rockets top defensive prospect, and the Rockets have put out the best defence in the league, and they usually go in the 2nd round. Guys like Duncan Keith, Shea Weber, Alex Edler, Tyler Myers (not 2nd round), Luke Schenn (also not 2nd round)

He's a low risk high reward player

If I may say so my self, the potential talent that could be drafted in the 1st round of this years' NHL Entry Draft is looking just as promising if not more promising than the 1st round in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft year (http://en.wikipedia....Draft#Round_one). There are some grade A prospects this year, especially on defense.

Go down that list:

Ryan Murray - (comparable to Scott Niedermeyer): http://eliteprospect...hp?player=41768

Matt Dumba (<3) - (comparable to Dion Phaneuf (better attitude)): http://www.elitepros...hp?player=53542

Morgan Reilly - (comparable to Erik Karlsson/Paul Coffey): http://eliteprospect...hp?player=41184

Cody Ceci - (comparable to Dan Boyle): http://eliteprospect...hp?player=45584

Griffin Reinhart - (comparable to Shea Weber): http://eliteprospect...hp?player=41183

the list goes on....

I'll leave the rest of the research to all you folks ;)

I know this is beating an already dead horse, so I won't bring it up, but with (insert the obvious here) being in numerous rumors to get traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs (5th overall pick) or the Tampa Bay Lightning (10th overall pick), do we make a push for one of these top-10 draft picks? If you're into the draft just as much as I am, seeing the potential in guys like Teuvo Teräväinen (http://www.elitepros...hp?player=44567) and Radek Faksa (http://eliteprospect...hp?player=98300) makes this an opportunity too good to pass on. Plus; Morgan Rielly (Vancouver), and Griffin Reinhart (Vancouver) are BC boys, and so is one of my favourite prospects Dalton Thrower (Vancouver) (http://eliteprospect...hp?player=45529), but he's expected to go later in the first round.

Please share your thoughts! I believe this is a wonderful opportunity to bolster our youth within our system, especially if this team is looking to have their franchise's first ever actual elite d-man.

Cheers.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Archived