The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Craziest Trade Idea I Ever Had (Van - Pit)

Guest Dasein

Guest Dasein

Yes, I laugh at stupid proposals all the time, so I thought I might spin the wheels a little and create one of my own this time! The craziest idea popped in my head as I was thinking of our goaltending situation. It is absolutely insane, and it will never happen, but I drooled thinking about it.

When anyone makes a VAN - PIT proposal, you can bet that crazy bastard is thinking of getting Crosby or Malkin in return. I am doing the same thing.

To VAN:

Sidney Crosby

Marc-Andre Fleury

To PIT:

Ryan Kesler

Alex Edler

Cory Schneider

1st round pick

Pittsburgh (in a drunken blunder) decides to run with Malkin all the way because they think they can't afford all three (Malkin, Crosby, Staal). They deem Malkin to be the #1 offensive center, and Staal to be capable of being a shutdown 2nd line center. Crosby's concussion history is also on their mind when the do this. In return, Ryan Kesler would be asked to play shutdown 3rd line center or the 2nd line, depending on who produces more between him and Staal.

Then, also in their drunken blunder, Pittsburgh decides that Fleury's mental breakdown against PHI is the beginning of a horrible things to come, and decide that Cory Schneider is the next Marty Brodeur.

Then Alex Edler is put on their top pairing with Letang as a bonus - because so far this trade wasn't even close to being beneficial and you can't justify a Crosby+Fleury for Kesler+Schneider to your fanbase when you're the one trading away Crosby. Add a 1st round pick to make it look less absurd, and just pull the trigger and bite the bullet.

We then trade either Fleury or Luongo to get a top pairing defenseman.

One can dream, can't he?

Obviously we win this PIT-VAN trade by a mile IMO. Pittsburgh will never ever ever ever ever in their even most comatose moment do this (I don't think even Milbury would be stupid enough to say yes to this trade), but I think it's beneficial for both teams:

Pittsburgh has Malkin as the clear #1, Jordan as #2, Kesler as #3, Edler on the top pairing with Letang, and Schneider in between the pipes.

Vancouver has Crosby, Sedin, Lapierre and Malhotra. Get a #1 defenseman, and have Luongo or Fleury between the pipes.

Who would win that matchup if they met in the Finals?

While it would NEVER happen, this proposal actually has some merit to it.

The Canucks gain the best player in hockey - albeit with huge ??? over his recovery from injury - and an excellent (on his day) goalie.

The Pens lose the media circus over Crosby, the worry over his health, and the Crosby/Malkin conundrum. but they gain a second Selke finalist (a winner at that), a top-pair D, a big upgrade in net, and a first, which is always good to have.

Despite the hole on the blue line, I'd actually do this trade - and I think if I was the Pens GM I'd do it too.

But it won't happen. Ever. Sid is a Pen for life.

While it would NEVER happen, this proposal actually has some merit to it.

The Canucks gain the best player in hockey - albeit with huge ??? over his recovery from injury - and an excellent (on his day) goalie.

The Pens lose the media circus over Crosby, the worry over his health, and the Crosby/Malkin conundrum. but they gain a second Selke finalist (a winner at that), a top-pair D, a big upgrade in net, and a first, which is always good to have.

Despite the hole on the blue line, I'd actually do this trade - and I think if I was the Pens GM I'd do it too.

But it won't happen. Ever. Sid is a Pen for life.

Guest Dasein

It's insane because you just don't trade a guy like Crosby. Ever.

Here's the thing though: Fleury, Neal and Martin taking up $5.0mil each ($15.0mil in total) and Michalek takes up $4.0mil. That's $19.0mil of cap space taken up by those 4 players.

Crosby and Malkin get paid $8.7mil each. That's $17.4mil of cap space spent on two players. On top of that, their 3rd line center Staal gets paid $4.0mil.

Next year, both Crosby and Staal turn UFAs. The year after, it's Malkin and Letang. That's their big 4 ALL due for a significant raise on top of what they already make.

Letang is a must-sign simply because there is no one that can replace what he does - his cap hit will likely be around $6.0mil. I think that means Pittsburgh has to let one of their three star centers go - one of Crosby, Malkin and Staal.

Malkin's proven that he is the best player in the game today - maybe even better than Crosby. With his size, he certainly is capable of doing things that Crosby cannot. On top of that, he does not have the concussion history that Crosby has. Overall, if he improves his defensive game and his faceoffs, I believe Malkin could easily be better than Crosby.

Staal is a Selke nomineee and has shown offensive prowess this season when put in the situation. He is unique of the three centers in that he is defensive first then provides offense.

Though I think they will keep both Malkin and Crosby and trade away Staal, I think the best move would be to trade either Malkin or Crosby away and have Staal as the 2nd line center. If they keep Malkin and Staal, Crosby needs to play shut down minutes rather than try to score.

If they are set on Crosby, then they need to trade Malkin IMO and keep Staal. But, because they are the two superstars, it will never happen, and Staal will be traded instead.

And then, in a drunken blunder, MG declines the offer. :frantic:

I will do you one better, since we're doing crazy.

to PITTS:

Edler

Luongo

Kesler

1st 2012

Schroeder

Tanev

to VAN:

Crosby

Letang

Booth - Crosby - Kassian

Sedins - Burrows