The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lidstrom Retiring?

Seems it's been only a little while ago that the game lost Burnaby Joe to retirement...looks like another all-time great is moving on, and the sport hurts from it. But that just shows how much of a extraordinary talent and class act Nicklas Lidstrom was. Tremendous impact on the game, and just a small step behind Bobby Orr, in my opinion. Enjoy your retirement, Nick.

"Retiring today allows me to walk away from the game with pride, rather than have the game walk away from me." -- Nicklas Lidstrom on his retirement from playing 20 seasons in the NHL

What a legendary quote.

I definitely don’t think this should come as too much of a surprise to anyone. The Red Wings have gotten such great value out of a player not even picked out of the top-15 it’s amazing. But it’s even more amazing that he was still playing major, top defenseman minutes on the wrong side of 40 last year. He is obviously a first ballot hall of famer and almost definitely a top-5 defenceman of all-time. I didn’t love the guy personally but it is no doubt the last we’ll see of one of the true class acts in NHL history.

http://chrisross91.wordpress.com/2012/06/01/put-your-tears-away/

Archived