The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Vancouver - NY Islanders

This move would help the Isles reach the cap floor:

To Vancouver: Ryan Strome + Nino Niederreiter + 2013 1st

To NY Islanders: Roberto Luongo + Keith Ballard + Anton Rodin + Manny Malhotra + Kevin Connauton

Signings:

Jason Garrison: 3 years @ $12 million = $4 million per

Bryan Allen: 2 years @ $4 million = $2 million per (with Bryan wanting to test free agency, I could really see him coming back to Vancouver)

Brad Boyes: 2 years @ $7 million = $3.5 million per

Canucks 2012-13 line up:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Boyes

Niederreiter - Strome - Higgins

Kassian - Lapierre - Hansen

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Tanev - Allen

Schneider

Lack

Thoughts?

I thought of this (posted in another thread):

Nabokov's not near good enough anymore to be the #1 who brings them to the playoffs, and they have no leader in the crease, which is what they need if they want to get NEAR the playoffs in the tough Atlantic. With their young assets, Lu could really bolster their chances every game, and give them a fighting chance if at they could at least get stops in their end against their explosive Atlantic opponents. If Garth Snow's anything as smart as Dean Lombardi he'd be willing to give some young assets to strengthen the weak crease.

I'd try for MacDonald (if we can't get Hamonic), plus Cizikas (most realistically Casey, doubt we can get Nielsen or Strome) and a 2nd (pick could be lowered if their NHL-level assets came our way). Maybe they can also include Poulin for us.

Lu, Sauve and Raymond's rights (or Manny and Ballard can be subbed in, though I'd wish to keep them) can go back, to give them SOME NHL value and help with their needs. Hear me out. Most importantly, they get their starter in his prime still, plus NHL D depth to replace MacDonald, plus penalty killing strength in face-off king Malhotra. Against strong Atlantic opponents they finished 23rd with 80.5% PK, and 26th with 48.0% F.O. win rate-- Manny should help with that if they do ask for him.

If anything I'd say we get ripped if we get MacDonald, Cizikas and 2nd.

The Isles probably killed Nino's career. Certainly hindered his progress. 55 games - 1 goal. Maybe after the first half dozen you'd get the idea he wasn't good enough for the NHL right yet? Brule is fine example of that.

They just signed Nabakov, who is VERY capable.

If Dipietro is healthy again, then they're gonna be forced to play him cause they can't do anything about that big contract.

Then they have two VERY capable backups.

So try again.

While I agree with Peace Bond that the Islanders do not have 4 capable goaltenders, I do think that they desperately need a #1 goaltender. The problem is that they are handcuffed with Dipietro's contract, and there, have no choice but to hope that who they have in their system can turn into Jonathan Quick.

They don't have 4 capable 'tenders, they have 2 capable backup goaltenders: Montoya and Nabokov.

Unfortunately Dipietro's isn't capable because he can't play. I always loved him and had high hopes for him. I still hope he can pull out of this somehow and salvage whatever he can.

Archived